IGNORED

Another Cruise Control Issue 2005 R1200RT

Mike Kane

1. With the ignition switch OFF, switch on the cruise control.

2. Press and hold the SET button to the SET position and switch on the Ignition switch (SET LIGHT comes on)

3. Release the SET button (LIGHT GOES OFF), move to RESET (Resume) position (LIGHT)

4. Release the button (LIGHT OFF)

4a Switch OFF the cruise control switch (LIGHT ON)

5. Switch the cruise control switch back on (LIGHT OFF)

6. Close throttle. (LIGHT), release throttle. (LIGHT OFF)

7. Pull clutch lever (LIGHT), release clutch lever (LIGHT OFF)

8. Pull front brake lever (LIGHT), release lever (LIGHT OFF)

9. Push foot brake pedal (LIGHT ON), hold for 5 seconds (LIGHT SHOULD GO OFF), release foot brake pedal (LIGHT ON)

10. Rotate rear wheel (LIGHT SHOULD GO OFF/ON)

11. Switch off ignition.

So in following this procedure everything on my 2007 RT fails after Step 7. Where should I be looking now. My cruise works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't.

Mike Kane

Morning Mike

Does your cruise fail "AT" #7 or "AFTER" #7.

Or put another way -- when you Pull clutch lever do you get (LIGHT), then release clutch lever (LIGHT OFF)? -yes/or/no?

We need to know EXACTLY in the test sequence where you get the failure.

Evening Mike

Lets do the throttle part first.

On the throttle test you need to manually close the throttle farther than just at-rest closed. Once the throttle twist grip is released & snaps to closed throttle you need to manually force the throttle in the closed direction a bit more. You should feel a little spring resistance as you manually close the throttle (twist grip) past normally (unforced) closed throttle.

Do that & see if you get the light. If no light check your throttle cable adjustments & the little switch operation on the bowden box.

I'm on a road trip for while so if I can't find a WiFi signal (might not where I'm going) it will be a while before I can get back to you here. Hopefully someone else can work with you if I don't respond.

If I recall my light didn't go off/on when I revolved the rear wheel, and I think the light didn't go off after 5 secs with rear brake.

So there might be some difference.

My cruise is now working fine, as is starting in gear. it might be my fiddling with the clutch switch that's sorted it.

\v/

OK. I went through the procedure again this evening. Everything worked as stated in the procedure EXCEPT, I could never get the SET light to come on no matter how hard I turned the throttle closed and I got no off/on when I spun the rear wheel.

So I guess this weekend I will be finding the Bowden Box and checking the switches there as well as the throttle cables.

My cruise control stopped working on my 2006 RT when I first got the bike. All the diagnostics passed and the set light would come on but the cruise did not work. You could see the cable ribbon on the cruise control unit moving like it should but no effect on the throttle. Turned out to be a broken part in the Bowden Box. Took 3 trips to the dealer (I eventually found the broken part myself) and 6 weeks waiting for a $25 plastic part from Germany to get it fixed under warranty.

Archived