IGNORED

I am DONE with cold feet! - Boot Gloves

elkroeger

I just bought a pair of "Boot Gloves", which are designed for downhill ski boots. Basically it's a neoprene cover for the top of your boot. They fit nicely on my aerostich combat boots. Easy on, easy off, and no electrical cords. I don't notice them at all either walking or riding. And WOW, my feet are warm! Incredible!

http://www.dryguy.net/BootGlove.html

http://www.rei.com/product/679011/bootglove

No association. They will be oversized because they're designed to fit over alpine ski boots. I have size 12 combat touring boots and the Large fits. I think a Medium would also fit. For size 11 and under, I think I'd go for the Medium. I'm not sure where the cutoff would be for the Smalls.

I just bought a pair of "Boot Gloves", which are designed for downhill ski boots. Basically it's a neoprene cover for the top of your boot. They fit nicely on my aerostich combat boots. Easy on, easy off, and no electrical cords. I don't notice them at all either walking or riding. And WOW, my feet are warm! Incredible!

http://www.dryguy.net/BootGlove.html

http://www.rei.com/product/679011/bootglove

No association. They will be oversized because they're designed to fit over alpine ski boots. I have size 12 combat touring boots and the Large fits. I think a Medium would also fit. For size 11 and under, I think I'd go for the Medium. I'm not sure where the cutoff would be for the Smalls.

My bride won't ski without them!

:thumbsup:

I think you'd be pretty hard pressed to find bicycle booties that fit over a regular shoe. You'd have to buy 1/2 dozen sizes too big I'd think. My 12 booties look like they would about fit over my wife's size 7 m/c boots, but they won't work at all because the ankle is cut very tight on the bootie. It'd never fit over that boot ankle. Besides, they really aren't any cheaper anyway.

At any rate, shifting presented no problem at all. Like I said, I didn't even notice that I had them on. (aside from having warm feet). :)

• 1 month later...

Based on your post I bought a pair.

I rode into work today with the temp at 30 degrees, my feet stayed a lot warmer than I expected.

I wear a size 11 Sidi boot so I went with the medium, they fit snugly over my boots with no trouble. They do not interfere with the feel of shifting at all.

glad to hear I haven't steered you wrong! :-)

I have figured out that I can put them on with just one hand. You gotta wear them left on right, right on left (I think they're symmetrical, and there's just the label printed on the side). Anyway, standing next to the bike, pick up your foot and cross it over the leg you're standing on. Sorta like you're checking for dog-doo. Then you can pull it over your foot and fasten the velcro with one hand. No bending, no sitting, no fiddling around!

Yesterday was about 50 degrees so I took a ride north into Mass for a couple of hours. I took off the boot covers and tried the Cycle Gear Freeze Out socks to see how they worked. I was not impressed at all with the socks, I think they made my feet colder, even tried them as house slippers. The boot covers went back on as soon as I got home.

These work well too.

Toasty Feet

That may be a lifesaver. :thumbsup:

I cannot ride with boot overalls (feel too clumsy) and the old trick of wearing at least two pairs of socks is starting to fail under the pressure of old age.

Thanks for the tip.

Was at Cabela's yesterday, they had a display of electric, rechargeable insoles, with the battery pack built in to the insole, no thicker than a regular insole. "RECHARGE UP TO 500 TIMES!" Can't find it on their website, though. I thought about it for a minute, moved on, but sure looks like the best idea.

EDIT: Here they are: http://www.basspro.com/ThermaCELL-Heated-Rechargeable-Insoles/product/11100805013014/

I gave mine a quick test and they seemed to work well. I'm going to try to get in a few hours over the weekend for a complete test.

I have two concerns. The band across the bottom causes a bit of traction loss when you're backing up and I'm sure it would get torn with even a modest amount of walking. And I'm sure that shifting will wear through the top quickly. So I expect to get one, at most two season out of a pair of these and then replace them.

I'm using gerbings socks. Commuting from NJ to NYC daily and

They're keeping my feet warm during th 90 minute commute with temps ranging from 25 to 40.

I'm using gerbings socks. Commuting from NJ to NYC daily and

They're keeping my feet warm during th 90 minute commute with temps ranging from 25 to 40.

I'm trying these things in lieu of my electric socks just because putting them on and running the wires is a nuisance.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in a size 8 Sidi On Road Boot. Any one have close to that size that can tell me if size medium or small would be necessary for proper fit?

I went ahead and ordered size small. Considering the item is meant to go over ski boots. My local REI didn't have the BootGloves in stock but they told me if they didn't fit I could return them to the store so I wouldn't have to pay for shipping them back. The shipping to me is free so hopefully everything will work out. I will post my findings when I know more.

The size small arrived and was too small to wrap around the back of the boot. I took the size small back to REI this morning. They had size medium in stock so I did an exchange with no hassles at all.

Size 8 Sidi On Road motorcycle boot = Size Medium BootGlove

• 1 month later...

Update: After about 3 1/2 months of regular winter commuting with these things, I can't imagine that I ever rode without them!

My commute is about 10 miles each way, mostly on the freeway. Typical temps here are mid 30's to upper 40's, and it's wet most all the time. Something I hadn't thought about earlier, is that these things make pretty reasonable rain covers too. I have deliberately left them on to walk the 50 yds. to my office, etc. to see how the toe strap holds up, as it clearly seems to be the weak link. So far so good for the strap. I have noticed a bit of wear on top from the gear shifter. It will be interesting to see how long that takes to deteriorate into a hole. Another season, perhaps.

Anyway, after commuting most of the winter with these things, I find it remarkable that I really didn't understand how cold my feet were getting. They would hurt all day from being cold in the mornings. That pain has gone away completely. A couple years back my commute was an hour and a half each way. I wish I'd had these back then!

Ahhhhhhh... warm. :-)

Archived