IGNORED

Motolight instllation

Lawman

Just got my Motolights and thinking I'm gonna try the install myself eek.gif I have a six wire plug under my tach but none of the wires are grey. I have 2 blue, 2 yellow, 1 smaller brown and 1 smaller white wires..I need a 12 volt switched power and I need to know the procedure for making the connection. Access is difficult. It would be easier if I can unplug the the plug but I'm not sure if it just pulls straight out or has tabs that hold it in or what..Once I find a good line to use should I cut the wire in two and make a connection or should I just strip away a little of the insulation and tie into it? Is is necessary to solder? Is there a better place to tie into?

Thanks..

Which bike?

Jim cool.gif [/quote

2005 RT...

This is not going well..One of the pinch screws gets tight in the bracket without tightening the light and the other light is so tight in the bracket I can't get it out even if I remove the pinch screw... confused.gif

Just got my Motolights and thinking I'm gonna try the install myself eek.gif I have a six wire plug under my tach but none of the wires are grey. I have 2 blue, 2 yellow, 1 smaller brown and 1 smaller white wires..I need a 12 volt switched power and I need to know the procedure for making the connection. Access is difficult. It would be easier if I can unplug the the plug but I'm not sure if it just pulls straight out or has tabs that hold it in or what..Once I find a good line to use should I cut the wire in two and make a connection or should I just strip away a little of the insulation and tie into it? Is is necessary to solder? Is there a better place to tie into?

Thanks..

Howdy,

I just finished installing motolights and an Autoswitch to turn them on and off (didn't want to have to mount another switch somewhere, so it'll just toggle them on and off by hitting the high beams a couple times quickly). I ended up tucking the motolight relay and fuse just behind the battery near a small black box and round knob. If you put the relay there, you can easily get your 12V switched off the back accessory socket wire (the plug is there whether or not you installed a socket). They use brown for ground, so the other wire on that plug would be your 12V switched. You can get a special electrical clip that will take that switched wire intact, and just tap off it and allow you to plug your wire into the other side and it ties them together electrically. The harness feed is plenty long to run up along the side of the tank and meet the two wires coming up from the actual motolights. I'd be happy to send you some photos (I took quite a few) if you want to PM me with your email address. I also wired up a GPS wire, tank bag 12V wire (for charging phone or running a vest etc).

We'll be starting to install motolights and all the same other goodies on my buddies R12RT next week. He's getting the caliper mounts whereas I used the fork mounts I took off my K1200GT.

2005 RT...

This is not going well..One of the pinch screws gets tight in the bracket without tightening the light and the other light is so tight in the bracket I can't get it out even if I remove the pinch screw... confused.gif

What kind of mount did you get? If it's a fork mount, you might (gently, and maybe with a rag over the blade) be able to pry it a bit with a large blade screwdriver. I remember mine being a little stiff when they were new too.

Mainuh, Check the part# on the caliper mounts. The correct one for a 1200RT is 8-660. Beware of old stock. Leon 05RT

Leon,

Thanks much for the tip. We'll look them over very closely when my buddies lights arrive. Happy New Year!

Is there a way to tap into a switched circuit (via relay of course) that doesn't have a delayed-off, e.g. accessory plug, so that you don't need to manually turn off the Motolights via a switch? And which doesn't cause the CANBus to think the there is an overcurrent problem? My BMW mechanic says that even the added, small, current draw of the relay trigger will alert the CANBus (true?)

Forgetting to manually turn off the lights will cause a ~9A draw (assuming 55W) until the timer shuts off the circuit.

Thanks,

Rich '05 R1200RT

Is there a way to tap into a switched circuit (via relay of course) that doesn't have a delayed-off, e.g. accessory plug, so that you don't need to manually turn off the Motolights via a switch? And which doesn't cause the CANBus to think the there is an overcurrent problem?
You can tap the "parking light" in the headlamp ass'y. As a matter of fact that is what the Touratech TPS-15 auxiliary block does. An approved BMW accessory.

My BMW mechanic says that even the added, small, current draw of the relay trigger will alert the CANBus (true?)
False.

You can tap the "parking light" in the headlamp ass'y. As a matter of fact that is what the Touratech TPS-15 auxiliary block does. An approved BMW accessory.

Thanks. I kind of figured BMW wouldn't completely block someone from doing it.

Rich

Is there a way to tap into a switched circuit (via relay of course) that doesn't have a delayed-off, e.g. accessory plug, so that you don't need to manually turn off the Motolights via a switch? And which doesn't cause the CANBus to think the there is an overcurrent problem? My BMW mechanic says that even the added, small, current draw of the relay trigger will alert the CANBus (true?)

Forgetting to manually turn off the lights will cause a ~9A draw (assuming 55W) until the timer shuts off the circuit.

Thanks,

Rich '05 R1200RT

Or, using the test plug for the techs under the seat, use the green wire. It is only on when the key is on, and wont mess with the canbus system if you use it as the signal wire for the relay!

Jim cool.gif

Or, using the test plug for the techs under the seat, use the green wire. It is only on when the key is on, and wont mess with the canbus system if you use it as the signal wire for the relay!

Thanks for the info. Is the green wire a power supply wire or a signal wire that may/would interfere with the test equipment during diagnosis? I guess a SPST switch could be added to disable the relay path with the test plug is connected.

Rich '05 R1200RT

Jim VonBaden

Thanks for the info. Is the green wire a power supply wire or a signal wire that may/would interfere with the test equipment during diagnosis? I guess a SPST switch could be added to disable the relay path with the test plug is connected.

Tapping the green wire doesn't interfere with diagnostics during testing as long as the accessories are turned off.

Jim cool.gif

Rich '05 R1200RT

Tapping the green wire doesn't interfere with diagnostics during testing as long as the accessories are turned off.

Sounds good. Thanks for the info.

Rich

Archived