IGNORED

A Tale of Two Insurance Companies

doc47

I recently switched my insurance from Geico to Markel American's "Bikeline". Markel offered better premiums.

Well, the bike got knocked over by a citizen who decided to left-turn while I was passing him. (A moron!)

No damage to me. Damage to Marlene.

Called Markel when I got home that night. Office closed until the AM.

Called in the AM. Nice, somewhat bewildered lady on the other end of the line took details and said she'd mail me the forms I needed to fill out and send in.

A week later I got the form. They also wanted me to arrange for a copy of the police report and send photos and an estimate. They said if a claims examiner was required it could take another 1-2 weeks.

By the time this was all done it is now two weeks into the process.

Contrast this with Geico, who still carries my car insurance. Saturday night we had a big windstorm. Large branches blew off my neighbor's Doug fir, smashed the windshield and bent the roof and a quarter panel. I called Geico at 1 AM. They had a very helpful guy on the phone who immediately arranged for an inspection and informed me that they would provide $25/day toward a rental car if I need one. The car was surveyed yesterday and an estimate made. I was told that authorization would take a couple of extra days because my policy is so new.

Take home point:

I'm switching my MC insurance back to Geico at the first opportunity. It may be a few bucks more but fully worth it IMHO.

PS: If I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all. dopeslap.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

Progressive was very helpful to me when I got rear ended a couple of weeks ago. I don't carry the comprehensive, which, in light of last nights events (See SOB 3.0 in the Other Topics) would have been handy. They went to bat for me with the guy who hit me and were instrumental in getting everything resolved.

I had the same run around when trying to claim against another rider (who was ticketed)and had Bikeline/Markel coverage. It took forever to contact someone. Since the rider was underinsured (he's a Dr, imagine that!) I turned it into Progressive and had a check in hand within days.

I've read of this same problem with Markel on the BMWMOA website, several months ago. There were more than a few posts in the thread where riders had poor service from Markel and had switched to other companies.

I'm surprised that BMWMOA hasn't made a deal with another company because they are well aware of the complaints.

While you are switching back make sure you have plenty of Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists coverage to cover YOU should you (instead of your bike) be the victim next time. Many cages carry little of no Bodily Injury Liability Coverage and "state required minimums" range from none (in Florida) to very little (certainly not enough to cover even a moderate motorcycle type injury).

While you are switching back make sure you have plenty of Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists coverage to cover YOU should you (instead of your bike) be the victim next time. Many cages carry little of no Bodily Injury Liability Coverage and "state required minimums" range from none (in Florida) to very little (certainly not enough to cover even a moderate motorcycle type injury).

Also, I feel is equally important is extra coverage on your moto insurance for "your" bodily injury. I only had 1k in bodily injury for myself, thinking that my health insurance would cover that part. Wrong. They don't, and didn't. I had to use the 1k for out of pocket stuff like copays and the like. 1k doesn't go far if you are badly injured. Sure the other person's insurance company will end up paying when all is said and done, but that doesn't help you when you need it.

Glad to hear you were not seriously injured Doc. Now you gotta get Marlene well again.

I have no personal experience with GEICO. GEICO provides LIDAR radar units to police forces, however, according to stuff I have read on the internet.

They also will not insure you if you have a radar detector

http://www.smartmoney.com/insurance/auto/index.cfm?story=answer

That means you either have to lie to your insurance company, which is immoral and illegal, or not have a radar detector, which is my choice and perfectly legal in 48 states.

So the heck with them.

They seem to think that police use radar solely to apprehend people driving at incredibly high speeds. They don't seem to consider that it is used for revenue generation by local police forces.

Here is a funny picture, but I am posting it as a link because it has a four letter word in it:

http://www.dailyfunnyshit.com/core/pics/geico.jpg

So....that's your excuse for not showing up Tuesday evening??

The waitress called you a "girly-man" grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I have GEICO as well.....and after a bit of two stepping, and some shuffle foot, I feel I did all right by them, so far..............

Good to hear you're all right!

Pat

When the States were switching from the all-round 55mph limit to 65mph, Maryland was one of the last holdouts. The MD Senate approved the law change to 65mph. Geico organized a hugh mail-in campaign, made a hugh lobbying effort with the Governor, and he vetoed the bill. At the next election the opposition candidate made it part of the campaign to switch to 65. He won. He had my vote. Geico is also famous that with very minimal ticket problems they cancel your insurance or pass you on to a much more expensive branch company. That explains why they love lasers and radars. It's not safety, it's money. I have Dairyland, and also had good experience with Progressive.

Archived