IGNORED

R65LS to buy or not to buy...

dirtdreamer50

Looking for opinions from owners of older airheads. I have the opportunity to pick up a 1982 R65LS for $2700. The bike is in great shape and is a low mileage unit. I haven't physically seen it yet, only pics from the owner, a BMW auto technician. KBB has it priced at $3400, in great shape.

Is a 30 year old bike just a double hands full of problems and better left alone, or a great buy on a classic bike? I had an '86 R65 mono shock, back in the day, and enjoyed it, but it was new, not almost as old as my son. Anything special to look for or to stay away from? Thanks for any input.

Admin, if this needs to be moved, for best response, ok by me. tomp dd50

Your kidding right? You NEED that bike. Given your other bikes (and bikes over the years) it is a winter project. Winter is coming to Texas too. Buy that thing. R65 was one of the most fun bikes I've ever owned. Since 1963, that first bike, a Harley Hummer.

ericfoerster

I had the same bike a few years back and it was a blast to ride. Classic looks, at least I thought so.

I still kick myself for selling it. I really wanted to do a full restore on it, but that never happened. I liked riding it so much I never wanted to tear it down.

For that price you can't go wrong.

excellent price if cosmetic ok

is it a runner?

if it is a project someone else didn't do it needs to be cheaper

if it is a runner w/no major blems and/or leaks have at it

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

If you're ever going to own a collector bike, BMW is the brand to own. BMW motor tradition will ensure parts will always be available. Benchmarkworks will always make sure parts are reasonable. Airheads.org will always make sure tech is available to work through the issues. Airheads are an absolute pleasure to work on too.

Archived