IGNORED

1200RT: clutch fluid leaking under cruise control?

TowJam

Want to run this by the group... Ever since taking delivery of my RT, I've noticed a small amount of fluid under the cruise control switch. It's barley noticeable and I usually just wipe it off with my thumb. If I switch the cruise control lever on and off, the residue may sometimes reappear. There's no smell to it so I'm wondering if maybe this is mineral oil leaking from the clutch reservoir. Any ideas? Has anyone else seen this?

(Apologies for the poor problem description. Creative writing was the reason that 4th grade was three of the hardest years of my life.)

It could be from assemble. dopeslap.gif

They lube things when putting it together.

Buy some contact cleaner and spray it into the switch. use air if you have it to blow out the residue. Then keep an eye on it. thumbsup.gif

It could be from assemble. dopeslap.gif

They lube things when putting it together.

Buy some contact cleaner and spray it into the switch. use air if you have it to blow out the residue. Then keep an eye on it. thumbsup.gif

Will do. Thanks.

So just to set my mind at ease (or not)... Is the design of the clutch fluid reservoir on the RT such that it could be leaking into the cruise control switch cavity? (I guess I could pop the lid on the reservoir myself just to see but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.) wink.gif

Clive Liddell

TJ,

"I guess I could pop the lid on the reservoir myself just to see but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask."

You may need the special tool or similar to pop the cap if it's like the 12GS.

You may need the special tool or similar to pop the cap if it's like the 12GS.
Unlike the GS, ST and new K bikes, the RT doesn't use the plastic reservoir cups - the brake and clutch fluid reservoirs are built into the grip housing and open with a phillips head. Looks classy but you can't check the clutch fluid level without taking the lid off (at least as far as I can tell).

I do not have a R1200RT but I was looking at one recently. The dealer said that the clutch fluid was not the usual DOT4 but was a special fluid and was 'sealed for life'. May be worth a call to your dealer to check before you disturb the system.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

I do not have a R1200RT but I was looking at one recently. The dealer said that the clutch fluid was not the usual DOT4 but was a special fluid and was 'sealed for life'. May be worth a call to your dealer to check before you disturb the system.
"Special" fluid = mineral oil. Go figure.

But you're right about not popping the lid. In fact I noticed tonight that while the brake fluid reservoir is sealed with phillips head screws, the clutch reservoir uses torx connectors so I'm assuming that's BMW's way of saying "keep your hands off!".

Anyhoo, I'm not seeing any more signs of leakage under the cruise switch so I do think that First_Beemer was right. It probably was some type of assembly lube.

Archived