IGNORED

Savannah2 Jacket????

lsdpoet

Anyone have experience with Savannah 2 Jackets? It's one of the jackets I'm considering purchasing. Seems rather expensive and I'm wondering whether it's worth the money. Your experience or comments would be appreciated.... confused.gif

The Savanna is a FANTASTIC jacket for spring/summer/fall. The Dynatek material is extremely abrasion resistant, but it's slightly loose weave allows for plenty of air flow through the material. Additionally there are full-length sleve vents, front torso vents, and rear exhaust vents. If it has a downside it's that it isn't waterproof. That can be overcome by adding the Gore-Tex liner or by carrying a cheap rain jacket with you. I do the latter.

As has been pointed out, we still have some of the red/silver ones available at Brown's and the price quoted is correct. If your local BMW Apparel Dealer doesn't have what you need (please check with your local dealer first), let us know.

I bought one recently. I had been admiring them for a few years, but would not spend $500 for one.

BMW is discontinuing these jackets. A few dealerships are blowing them out for about half of that price. I bought mine for $270.

I think it is a very good jacket for warmer weather use. The wind cuts right through mine, so it would not be my first choice for cold weather riding. One could always wear a warm jacket under it I guess.

BMW sells a gortex liner for it, but this is not warm. The design of having a waterproof liner INSIDE the jacket sucks in my opinion. The jacket is soaked if it rains, and theoretically you stay dry inside. I would buy an inexpensive waterproof outer riding jacket for wet weather.

I have seem photos of "hard core" world motorcycle tourers wearing them on their travels. If they are good enough for those guys, it is good enough for me. grin.gif

I just picked one up at my local dealer for $237. I think they still have a few in larger sizes for that price.

This jacket is replacing my 15 year old Roadcrafter that experienced the same shrinkage phenomenon that that has affected most of my other clothes lately. I tried a Kilimanjro for a while, but never really bonded with it.

So far, I'm really impressed with the quality, fit, and features of the Savanna, although, like everything BMW, it has some idiosyncrasies (like the backward zipper). I couldn't bring myself to buy the BMW Gortex liner so I ordered a Joe Rocket Dry Tech liner from newenough.com for $35.00.

The Creel/Copper Canyon trip in March will be the first multi-day test of the Savanna, but I think (hope) it's going to be a good, versatile jacket that should last several years.

I ride every day in a Savannah 2 suit, (and have done so for the last two years) rain or shine (complete with the Gortex liners when required)

Yes it is expensive but the amount of armour is impressive.

Yes it is wierd having the waterproofing inside but I have learned to live with it.

It can still be a bit hot in the summer months (35degC)as it is here even with all vents open. As to winter (-5decC) all I find I have to do is wear a jumper underneath including the liners.

All that being said I will consider other alternatives when the time comes.

Cheers

I have the whole suit and I love it. The jacket is a "3 season" jacket, meaning that it is too warm for the harsh summers here, but with the excellent venting on the Savanna 2 you could probably wear it in many locations during the Summer. I just completed a 900 mile round trip to LA for Christmas in the Savanna 2 suit. I have a very nice First Gear liner form my previous jacket (First Gear Kilimanjaro) which i wore under the Savanna 2 during the cooler morning hours (47-48 F). I dont have the Gore-Tex liner but carry Frogg Toggs to wear over it in the rain. If I was going somewhere that was actually cold, I would probably just get a Gerbing electric jacket to wear under the Savanna 2.

My only criticism of the Savanna 2 is that the back armor is a little weak for my taste - I prefer something more robust like the excellent spine protector in the Venting Machine jacket - unfortunately, the VM spine protector won't fit in the Savanna 2, I tried it.

Great jacket - there are some great sales going on - go for it!

The Savanna is a FANTASTIC jacket for spring/summer/fall. The Dynatek material is extremely abrasion resistant, but it's slightly loose weave allows for plenty of air flow through the material. Additionally there are full-length sleve vents, front torso vents, and rear exhaust vents. If it has a downside it's that it isn't waterproof. That can be overcome by adding the Gore-Tex liner or by carrying a cheap rain jacket with you. I do the latter.

As has been pointed out, we still have some of the red/silver ones available at Brown's and the price quoted is correct. If your local BMW Apparel Dealer doesn't have what you need (please check with your local dealer first), let us know.

Above quote from Fernando's post...Fantastic I'd agree with...I really like it.....I bought one from him at Pomona a couple of months ago (on sale) and agree with all the positive comments above........It has great ventilation and is definitely not a winter jacket in cold climes but in California I'm sure I'll wear it except in the coldest conditions....As Fernando says, just add a wind breaker underneath or over and it and it's good for cooler rides and you'll stay dry in rain......I wore it in rain like that and stayed dry...I also just take the liner out of my Tour Master and put it on underneath for warmth....Works fine even though you can't zip it in.......Visibility when you're wearing it is better than any jacket I've seen.........At least the red and silver one....

Highly recommended in my book......

Phil...........Redbrick

I've had one for about 2 1/2 years and it still looks like new. Down here in Savannah, I rear it in Fall, Winter and Spring. The Airflow2 goes on in the summer, but the Savannah2 would be acceptable too. It's very well made and looks to provide good protection (haven't tested that though.)

Anyone have experience with Savannah 2 Jackets? It's one of the jackets I'm considering purchasing. Seems rather expensive and I'm wondering whether it's worth the money. Your experience or comments would be appreciated.... confused.gif

I got one from Iron Horse MC in Arizona not long ago, $285.00 (without liner)

Archived