IGNORED

New source of Petrol

unluckycolourblue

unluckycolourblue

I've an '02 R1150RS.

Have n't used it much since end Oct. 2 Weeks ago, started on choke, rode 4 miles, filled up. Before moving off, noticed petrol dripping onto collector box, on right hand side. Rode off, & leak seemed to stop.

Christmas Eve started on choke, then closed choke & warmed engine slightly on part throttle. Noticed leak again. Shut down. Restarted & rode off after few mins. Stopped after 300 yards - smell of petrol, & fumes vaporising off collector box! After a few mins, rode on, v gingerly, problem seemed to disappear. Have tried/dared starting since...

Bike had annual service in Oct, when O rings on q/r couplings apparently replaced FOC.

I'm baffled

unluckycolourblue

That's interesting. When I had the annual service done, the dealer said that they would deal with a recall re O rings. The invoice referred to checking fuel system & clips for leaks, & installing new O rings on the q/r couplings.

hi mate

i think i would be taking it back to the dealer in the new year tell them your concerns over the phone and they may recover it at their expense and put it right.

please keep us all informed as to progress.

seasons gretings & happy new year

derek thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

In my experience, the definitive fix is to replace the crimped hose clips with screw clips (suitable for fuel injection lines). Not expensive and a one-time cure.

While the o-rings on the QD connections are certainly not very robust, they have never been the source of my (several) fuel leak incidents. Neither has the BMW recall procedure for re-crimping the clamps ever prevented a reoccurrence. I tightened the crimps myself, too, but it only stopped the leaks for a few months.

Archived