IGNORED

I hate my new R12RT fuel filling system

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Really? Is it that hard to field test and critically think about a design?

Anywho, has anyone tried to turn the cap 180 degrees? I'm not sure if there is a way to even do that so, I though I'd ask.

I'm thinking it would be easier if we could refuel from the riders side instead of the handlebars.

Afternoon Peter

I know how you feel. I felt the same way when I got my first 1200RT. I even went so far as to remove the filler cap & try to turn it around. It would have taken some plastic grinding & a bit of filler assembly re-work to do that & I didn't really want to do that to a brand new bike. So I put if off until I had the time to do the modification.

Glad I put it off-- After cussing at the darn thing for the first few fillings I got used to it & now it is a non-issue to me.

So try living with it for a while & see if you get-used-to-it.

I never did get use to the darn thing not having a proper folding lift handle to help put it on the center stand. Still a real PITA when I have camping gear covering the rear seat & handles.

Nahhh!

You'll never get used to it. It's just poor design but you will put up with it because you have no choice, other than trading for a (shudder!) Honda.

pete

Pretty standard approach -- a hold-over from protruding gas caps.

Opening rearward means less chance of human damange in a collision, even with a flush-mounted cap, which theoretically could start to open during the milliseconds that the bike is deforming in the collision.

It also tends to minimize fuel flow into the rider's crotch if the fuel filler doesn't shut off and overflows the tank (I never refuel when sitting on the bike, but there are plenty of folks that do).

One positive thing you can do: Lightly file the lid stops so the lid opens rearward just a bit more, so the gas cap's nose seal clears the fuel filler more. Just be careful to not remove too much material, or the open key hole cover plate can dig into the tank paint. Once you remove the filler assembly from the bike and disassemble it (over a clean bench to avoid losing little parts!) the contct points where you have to file are obvious.

Peter

I hope I don't sound personal or anything, but you figured out rocketry, you should have no problem with the gas cap.

I never have.

The only problem I have, is paranoia about spilling one drop of gas on my bike.

And I haven't done that yet.

dc

Steve Kolenda

Peter,

You are absolutely correct it is a pain in the ass. I few weeks ago we were traveling along the Scenic Ohio River Byway which had just experienced a major storm knocking out power everywhere. While sitting in a very long line to get fuel, as I approached the pumps I indicated to the police officer controlling traffic that I had to fill from the right he laughed as if I was trying to put some humor into the situation and I said no, really.

I've had my RT since 2006 and have 125,000 km on it. I honestly don't know what this problem is that you're complaining about. Gassing up seems pretty straightforward to me. I always fuel from the right side. What's the big deal?

CoarsegoldKid

My '05 12RT filler doesn't seem odd at all. A buddies '08 12GS is a pain and caution is in order so that you don't break the cap. All due to the offset position of the plug in the cap compounded by California's large rubber foreskin required to capture fuel vapor. I hear you amigo.

Danny caddyshack Noonan
After cussing at the darn thing for the first few fillings

If that works on the TR6 (drips on the trunk on that too), should work on a bike too! It's just a PITA.

but you figured out rocketry, you should have no problem with the gas cap.

David, you'd be surprised. Like I tell them at work, "I'm just an idea guy, I really don't do anything".

All due to the offset position of the plug in the cap compounded by California's large rubber foreskin required to capture fuel vapor. I hear you amigo.

Yeppers right there. Damn whale foreskins. They should only be in the BMW lined gore-tex GS riding suits.

It works well in Nevada.

Lightly file the lid stops

Excellent idea. I might look at that....with due caution.

Or you can buy this billet aluminum gas cap that just screws on

and not even have to use your key. $50.00

I've used one for several months and love it!

http://www.slingshotracing.net/catalog/bmw-fuel-gas-cap-k1200-k1300-hp2-f650-r1100-r1150-r1200-p-154.html

Actually, it looks pretty cool. The web site doesn't mention the R1200RT. Are you using it on an R1200RT? If so, what year?

R1200RT appears in the list of models, 6th one down.

Or you can buy this billet aluminum gas cap that just screws on

and not even have to use your key. $50.00

I've used one for several months and love it!

http://www.slingshotracing.net/catalog/bmw-fuel-gas-cap-k1200-k1300-hp2-f650-r1100-r1150-r1200-p-154.html

Actually, it looks pretty cool. The web site doesn't mention the R1200RT. Are you using it on an R1200RT? If so, what year?

R1200RT appears in the list of models, 6th one down.

Found it. Thanks. I also found this one for only $38. It looks very similar.

http://shop.mcmoto.net/CNC-Keyless-Gas-Fuel-Cap-for-BMW-R900RT-R850R-R1200RT-ST-FC-BMW.htm

I guess when you have a bike as good as the RT you have to find the more trivial things to gripe about. Or maybe the trivial things just stick out more. But somethimes you have to wonder how, on a machines as sophisticated as BMWs are, the small stuff gets by and into production. I don't think I'll be trading my RT over this issue but would prefer not to have the issue at all.

pete

Anywho, has anyone tried to turn the cap 180 degrees? I'm not sure if there is a way to even do that so, I though I'd ask.

I'm thinking it would be easier if we could refuel from the riders side instead of the handlebars.

Turning the gas cap is one of the first things I did on my R1100RT, and also one of the first things I did a few weeks ago on my new R1200RT. It takes just a very little trimming on the tupperware, ... easy.

But, yeah, you'd think they could do it right the first time!

Danny caddyshack Noonan
Turning the gas cap is one of the first things I did on my R1100RT, and also one of the first things I did a few weeks ago on my new R1200RT. It takes just a very little trimming on the tupperware, ... easy.

Peter,

Do you have any instructional details?

Thanks

P

Am I missing something?

I have a 05RT and the RT tankbag. I pull up to the pump with it on my left, get off the bike, remove the tank bag, open the filler cap and fill it up.

I never thought there was anything either inconvenient or poorly designed about it.

Maybe the 12RT is different.

Now, putting the oil level glass on the opposite side to the oil filler cap on the newer RTs is really dumb, but maybe I am missing something here too.

Now, putting the oil level glass on the opposite side to the oil filler cap on the newer RTs is really dumb, but maybe I am missing something here too.

Not so much "dumb," but the result of an "improvement." For the camheads, BMW placed what amounts to a fan on the rear side of the left cam chain in the head to improve crankcase ventilation -- the fan and its cover sit directly under the place in the left valve cover where the oil filler was on the hexheads/coilheads. With there no longer being any room for the oil filler on the left, the "solution" was to simply install it over the void in the corresponding spot in the right valve cover.

Peter,

Thanks

P

Stand by, will get back to you shortly.

It's actually easier on the R1200; on the R1100/1150 there is an O-ring seal under the gas cap that sometimes doesn't want to line-up properly when re-installing. :mad:

Peter,

Thanks

P

Hi Peter,

I'm no mechanic, and have only very little mechanical aptitude, so if I can do this un-assisted, pretty much anyone can.

If you wish to remove the tupperware side panels, Max BMW has a good video on youtube on how to do it here:

I found you can shortcut the procedure to deal with the gas-cap, and that's what I'll describe here. You'll need a #25 Torx bit (Remember how BMW had such a fetish for hex-head screws/bolts with the 1100/1150 models? Well, now it's Torx!)

Remove the seat.

Remove the weird rack across the tank for mounting the BMW Tankbag. There are four screws, two at the end under the seat and two at the other end near the handlebars. These are fairly long screws.

Now remove the screws to the side-panels: two (one on each side) on top toward the rear of the gas tank, two up front by the handelbars, and two near the frame under the seat. This will allow you enough "play" to remove the center panel on top of the gas tank.

Now remove the one screw holding the center panel up near the handlebars, then the six screws holding the gas cap in place. Remove the gas cap altogether (you don't even have to unlock it).

Now gently pry up the edges of the side panels on top of the gas tank, so you can get at the center panel, and lift the center panel off.

Viewing the hole in the center panel where the gas cap goes, you'll see a cut-out toward the back, in addition to half-round cut-outs for the six screws. You'll need to cut one like that in the front part of the hole to make room for the hinge mechanism of the gas cap. You can do this with a Dremel tool, hacksaw, chisel, maybe even wire-cutters if your hands are strong enough. It doesn't even have to be pretty, since it won't show. Try the reversed gas cap in it to make sure it fits.

Now reassemble everything in reverse order from dis-assembly - remember that the center panel goes under the edges of the side panels - putting the gas cap in place with the hinge now toward the front, where it will no longer be in the way, and fasten the six gas cap screws. Easy! Maybe half-hour, forty-five minutes, depending on how long the cutting takes you.

Now should you need to place the gas cap back into the original configuration, you no longer have to mess with the tupperware. Just take out the six screws holding the the gas cap in place, spin the gas cap 180 degrees, and re-install the screws. Five minutes, maybe ten if you have to find your tools. :)

If you want some not-great photos of this, drop me a PM or e-mail and I'll e-mail them to you. I don't have a way to post them here.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Peter

Thanks.

Peter

I'll try to give that a shot. :thumbsup: Gotten pretty good at tupperware removal already. A little tiny cordless screwdriver helps.

BTW, I should have titled the post: "I hate my new R12RT fuel filling system in California".

It is the combination of the cap, its prominent proboscis, and our foreskin equipped fuel fillers that don't work together. :dopeslap:

Na1g - Pete, your winter might be a good time to do it. ;)

Danny Noonan - Peter, if you have any problems, we could always meet at Phil's Tech Day. :)

BTW, what are you using for a "little tiny cordless screwdriver"? With some of that limited space, especially around the handlebars, I might be in the market for one. It's difficult to get even a small tool in there, let alone my regular cordless drill/screwdriver.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

"little tiny cordless screwdriver"? With

Peter,

I liked what I saw on the MaxBMW video a few weeks back, so I went looking at OSH to see what they had. Lowes had nothing.

OSH had a couple. $20 to $140. $20 one went home with me. I haven't tested this one out yet but, looks just like the mechanics on in the video. Comes with a large handful of bits as well. Been too busy getting the 11RT ready for sale to work on the 12 this week.

Thanks, Peter. Did the one you got have a brand, or was it a private brand?

[... Been too busy getting the 11RT ready for sale to work on the 12 this week.

Understand that! My problem was the opposite; was too busy getting the 12RT ready to go to the Un to get the 11RT ready for sale, so it is still for sale! :dopeslap:

dirtdreamer50

http://www.harborfreight.com/48-volt-cordless-screwdriver-kit-68394.html

Got this one from Harbor Freight. $10.00.

http://www.harborfreight.com/100-piece-security-bit-set-68457.html

100 piece screw bit kit that fits the driver, another $10.00. Something there to unscrew almost everything made.

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-hunting-survival-knife-90714.html

Got one of these, sharpened it and it goes in one of the saddle bags when traveling...

GT from '03 and earlier RS bikes are all that way.

Never had an issue.

Flip up Big Mack bag, unlock, fill and go.

dirtdreamer50, thank you.

tallman (and others), I think it may be compounded by the huge nozzle and hoses we have here in Calif. as Peter pointed out above, but it's just so much simpler to have the lid flip up forward and not be in the way.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Per Peter A's instructions, it looks like this:

Push down on the center panel and lift the edges of the side panels off of it.

IMG_2538.jpg

Remove center panel, copy notch in the six o'clock position to the 12 o'clock.

IMG_2540.jpg

Like this but, you can probably get by with less width and depth.

IMG_2541.jpg

Reassemble after being overly anal and waxing it first.

IMG_2543.jpg

Cap installed and up.

IMG_2544.jpg

Whale foreskin-resistant gas cap.

This thread got me to thinking, a bad thing, for sure. In the Houston area, all our gas stations use the vapor foreskins, too, that need to be forced upwards to allow the gas to come out. I just pull up on the vapor cover and fill from the left side. Maybe I've been doing it wrong all this time. May try from the right side next time. tomp dd50

dirtdreamer50, thank you.

tallman (and others), I think it may be compounded by the huge nozzle and hoses we have here in Calif. as Peter pointed out above, but it's just so much simpler to have the lid flip up forward and not be in the way.

Your right, that was a pain when I was out at UN X.

Forest Gump could design a better system.

:lurk:

After you've turned the gas cap around, you've created another problem. The key cover has "Lift" inscribed on it and now it is upside down.

In a senior moment, you may not remember how to open the gas cap ;)

Danny caddyshack Noonan

The key cover has Lift inscribed on it and now it is upside down.

I addressed that this morning on the first use.

It really says TFIL "to fill".

I just took a little bit of Miracle Max literary license. To Blave means to bluff, heh?

Max.jpg

Feds recently gave the OK to allow those vapor recovery things to go away.

But I doubt gas station operators are going to be in much of a hurry to spend more $$$ to replace them. :(

After reading this thread again, I decided to gas up yesterday. I filled from the left using a vapor style nozzle, and let it fill to auto shut off. No problems at all. Raised the nozzle a little and added fuel up to the bottom of the red/orange lip. All good.

Don't think I will reverse the cap at this point as it was easier to fill with less splash back problems than my Harley Dyna that has an actual screw on gas cap. tomp dd50.

But I doubt gas station operators are going to be in much of a hurry to spend more $$$ to replace them. :(

But I guess as they wear, we won't see them replaced.

Archived