IGNORED

2610 Issue

Highway41

My first 2610 developed a "cloud" on the display of what looked like condensation making it hard to see in sunlight. This occurred shortly after riding home thru rain. Garmin replaced it but the replacement unit now has an even bigger cloud on the screen. Have emailed them regards the second unit but have not yet heard back. Has anyone had a similar problem? TX and Happy New Year to everyone.

Mine did that when it was new and it eventually went away on its own. There have been several others here who have posted about the same problem.

Ditto the above. Mine did the same thing on the way to Lousiana last summer, however after spending a week there on the way home it cleared up and has not been a problem since then! thumbsup.gif

Bill in Vermont

My 2610 did the same. I e-mailed them, then finally phoned them. They gave me instructions on returning it, which it did. Got a different one- possibly a remanufactured one that seems ok. I got a reply e-mail to my e-mail a week after I sent it back. The returned unit came within a week. So, give them a call.

I believe it is condensation as I did not notice the cloud until it turned colder. Rode all summer with the first unit and did not have a problem until October. Not sure I want to bake it in da oven; will try to sun dry in the window. Thanks for the feedback guys; figured it was not unique. Bill

Has anyone heard of this problem occuring on the 2720??? I'm gettin' ready to make the purchase - tough call a 2610 w/2GB CF for about $650 or the 2720 for $750... confused.gif

BTW, one safety precaution when baking electronics in your oven is to either preheat the oven and then turn it OFF when the unit is placed inside -OR- if you're going for the loooong bake cycle, place the unit on the top shelf and a cookie sheet on a lower shelf to reduce the risk of radiant heat melting the casing (dark colors do absorb the infra red).

Not sure how many times you want to bake your electronics - I work for a chip company and we use ovens to accellerate lifecycle testing of our IC's. dopeslap.gif

Ummmm, and don't use the microwave oven. Worst case your unit will explode or burst into flames. Best case it'll die with a light show of sparks and smoke. This probably falls into the "misuse" catagory of the waranty disclaimer. frown.gif

Cheers,

Greg

Has anyone heard of this problem occuring on the 2720??? I'm gettin' ready to make the purchase - tough call a 2610 w/2GB CF for about $650 or the 2720 for $750... confused.gif

There is quite a bit of ancedotal evidence that the 2620 with the hard drive doesn't hold up under the vibration of use on a motorcycle. As for the screen, this thread is the first I have heard of a problem. The 2610 and 2620 use the same screen.

Jim cool.gif

hard drive on 2620 could be a problem. screen blemish would be minor comapred to that. the shake,rattle and roll of every day moto use not conducive to hard drive....or so i've read on numerous posts.

Sorry for the confusion - that was the Street Pilot 2720. Full internal flash, no hard drive, no flash card. I completely agree about avoiding a hard drive for a motorcycle mounted GPS.

Regards,

Greg

Mine went down in flames over this (possibly the same problem)

After using it in the rain, I put it in my saddle bag and when I came out to a nice sunny day outside, the screens protective plastic had separated from the glass underneath in about a hundred little spots. when I touched it the plastic was so brittle, it disintegrated. The water vapors apparently got in the screen and boiled when it was in the side case, causing the plastic to boil off!

Garmin said they would fix it for $200+ so I guess I'll send it off, even though I'm not sure I should not argue a manufacturing defect.

My point: don't do the oven unless you can keep the heat really low!

Pat_Da_Geeeze_Donahue

My 2610 did the fog then clear thing. I previously had a 2620 with a hard drive that failed. Garmin replaced it with no arguments but did suggest that the 2610 would be better suited so I sold the 20 and snagged a 10. No problems since.

Pat

when I touched it the plastic was so brittle, it disintegrated

That brings a whole new meaning to the term "touch screen" smile.gif

duckin and running...........

Stan

Heard from Garmin and have now returned the second unit under warranty. No questions from the tech and I suspect they are going to simply replace the unit. When I get it back, I will give it a soak with silica gel. Bill

when I touched it the plastic was so brittle, it disintegrated

That brings a whole new meaning to the term "touch screen" smile.gif

duckin and running...........

Stan

Run all you want, the boos will follow. Also, you have to come back sooner or later, and this is a patient group of folks!

Archived