IGNORED

College football 2012...let's get ready to ruuuummmble!

Huzband

Yes, to be honest, I felt that was a terribly poor call by the officials. That was not a first down no way no how. I don't know how they came to that conclusion.

No dispute, and I am an official (in the other form of football).

Wow, first time I take Gators and they choke...

:dopeslap:

Skewered my pool by picking them.

Let's see, LSU and Florida down in flames to weak ACC and Big East

and South Carolina barely beats a weak UM team...

at least Vandy held serve.

Wow, what a monumental disappointment.

Congrats to the former Gator coach Charlie Strong for being a player's coach and leading them to biggest win in school history?

Wow, weak Big East team (going to ACC) beats an SEC juggernaut.

Wow.

Wow, looks like some good games out there. Only saw the Wolverines lose :cry: and the Seminoles win :clap: . Good game by SC, U of M needs defense next year.

Was looking at the scores (yeah, Louisville! :thumbsup: ) and found out there are 35 different bowl games now!(http://espn.go.com/college-football/bowls)

I guess that explains how Purdue, Air Force and Duke got in with losing records.

We now have such memorable bowl games as:

Heart of Dallas,

Taxslayer.com,

Chik-fil-a,

Buffalo Wild Wings,

Franklin American Mortgage Music City,

Kraft Fight Hunger (my favorite),

New Era Pinstripe,

Bridgepoint Education Holiday (?),

Little Caesars,

BBVA Compass,

Godaddy.com,

Gildan New Mexico,

Belk and

San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowls. WTF?

I'm just watching the "Beat the living snot out of Notre Dame" Bowl. Let's play hockey!!!! fer the love of sanity!

Great game queued up for tonight. Oregon v Kansas State. I like Oregon in this one, but I won't be surprised either way.

All these bowl games are just ways of babysitting us until the National Championship game. I'm good with that :Cool:

Sorta, but how much better would these games have been if we threw out the conference championship games and started playoffs back then?

Championship game tonight instead of on a traditional worknight (yes, I know people work 7 days/wk).

They've already forsaken the "traditional" bowl model a long time ago and I can't see how

extending the season this long after the regular season helps the players any more than

the playoff scenario that FBS presidents have said makes the student/athelete miss too much classwork?

I heard stories about Johnny Football around here, but I really had no idea.

I think ND and Bama are lucky they ain't playin TAMU .... and they know it.

ericfoerster

Be nice Whip.....

LSU and Florida had his number. My guess is next year that number will grow, despite having an easy schedule.

Vs. LSU. 29/56 for 276 in the air

27 total yards on the ground.

Vs. Florida 233 in the air and 55 on the ground.

It seems the top defensive teams can handle JFF. To get to the big dance you have to beat them all, save Bama, who seems to get the mulligan almost every year from the voters (no-anti Bama bias here.....lol).

Be nice Whip.....

LSU and Florida had his number. My guess is next year that number will grow, despite having an easy schedule.

Vs. LSU. 29/56 for 276 in the air

27 total yards on the ground.

Vs. Florida 233 in the air and 55 on the ground.

It seems the top defensive teams can handle JFF. To get to the big dance you have to beat them all, save Bama, who seems to get the mulligan almost every year from the voters (no-anti Bama bias here.....lol).

That was a long time ago.

Right now LSU/Florida would be 14 point dogs to TAMU especially after last week.

I love college football arguments on BMWST it is as close to politics as you can get without being banned.

:clap:

Happy New Year everyone.

Who do ya think will be ranked second in the pre-season polls?

Currently halftime in the Sugar Bowl, and Louisville is up on Florida 24-10.

Can somebody check on Matt, I just sent him a text and he hasn't responded, I'm concerned...:rofl:

Glenn, I love you man, but I am not spending $.50 to send you a text from the Dominican Republic ;-)

I love college football arguments on BMWST it is as close to politics as you can get without being banned.

:clap:

Lol! I have often had this same thought! :rofl:

If I were king of NCAA football, Monday's game would be Alabama v Texas A&M once again. Sure, the subjects would complain and the State of Indiana would be talking secession, but hey, I'm king, what do I care? :grin:

The Aggies have really hit their stride, and I think it's because they finally believe in themselves. Alabama would have a chance at redemption. This would be the National Championship game, baby :thumbsup:

James,

You obviously need a Regent.

Playoff baby...

A&M looked like an excellent team in that game vs Ok.

So did Louisville vs UF ( a much larger disparity in rankings before kickoff than A&M & OK were).

Sorta, but how much better would these games have been if we threw out the conference championship games and started playoffs back then?

They've already forsaken the "traditional" bowl model a long time ago and I can't see how extending the season this long after the regular season helps the players any more than the playoff scenario that FBS presidents have said makes the student/athelete miss too much classwork?

Wouldn't that be the same playoff system they use for all other sports and all other divisions of college football? And does their recalcitrance speak more towards their opinion of the mental capacity of Div. I football players compared to other college athletes? Or is it just plain, old-fashioned greed? :thumbsup:

New fangled greed.

:grin:

For fun google college rankings from 50 years ago.

Wasn't uncommon to see teams play 8-9-10 games

instead of 12 regular season.

Once cable money got involved we saw the Tues/WEd/Thurs nite games

and an expanded regular season.

Then the conference championship games.

In 1961 there were 12 bowl games and there were even more schools eligible to participate than now when we have 35 bowls.

Ernie Davis became the first black winner of the Heisman,

Ohiop State University turned down the invite to the Rose Bowl, and Bear Bryant won his first championship at Alabama.

BTW, the "National Champion" was named before the bowl back then.

So, old fahioned would be a bit different than what we see nowadays.

(Remember when Notre Dame did not participate in bowl games from 1925 until 1970 because of academic concerns?)

Dang, I had forgotten that the Home Shopping Network offered the NCAA $33,000,000.00 back in 1991 to put on a National Championship game matching the #1 & #2 on January 18, 1991 in Tampa.

Money would be divided among all NCAA schools.

I don't know where Danny's hanging out these days, but we're gonna need him to come back in August and launch the College Football 2013 thread. Alabama is starting to look like a dynasty out there! I know, way too early to reach conclusions. But when you're talking about 'Bama, it's really not too early at all. Last month might have been too early :smirk:

I don't know where Danny's hanging out these days, but we're gonna need him to come back in August and launch the College Football 2013 thread. Alabama is starting to look like a dynasty out there! I know, way too early to reach conclusions. But when you're talking about 'Bama, it's really not too early at all. Last month might have been too early :smirk:

It's an old fashioned ass whipping and Notre Lame brought the ass...

If I were king of NCAA football, Monday's game would be Alabama v Texas A&M once again. Sure, the subjects would complain and the State of Indiana would be talking secession, but hey, I'm king, what do I care? :grin:

The Aggies have really hit their stride, and I think it's because they finally believe in themselves. Alabama would have a chance at redemption. This would be the National Championship game, baby :thumbsup:

You should spend more time in Vegas

:wave:

Alabama certainly was the best team and look like they are set to continue with all that talent.

Congratulations on a great season.

If I were king of NCAA football ..... the State of Indiana would be talking secession, but hey, I'm king, what do I care? :grin:

Let them go. If they can't figure out how to join a conference, who needs them. :wave:

Good game Monday. Turned out like I expected and hoped. Well, in all honesty, I wanted a shutout (70-0 would have been good) but I'm still grinning regardless. :grin:

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Agreed Aggies are ready to play. I hope that next year we can hold it all together on the defense side of the ball. We lost a few good players but we also have a great recruiting class. Gig Em Ags

A&M had a passle of verbal commitment receivers play in the Under Armor high school all star game.

If they all end up going there JF should have no problems finding someone to throw to.

Just to rile up Danny I'll predict that Saban will be gone from 'Bama by February 1, 2014.

:lurk:

am I the only one who thinks college football is a joke?

teams moving from one conference to another to get more money, coaches signing mult-million dollar contracts. I liked it better when there were 10 teams in the Big 10 (now there's what, 12, 13?, so not much math going on at school apparently), and only four major bowl games. Rose, Orange, Sugar and Cotton.

The sport is over exposed (don't even care who wins the Michigan/Ohio State game anymore) and IMHO, the athletes are the ones getting raked over the coals.

good thing the ticket prices are so cheap, you know because the athletes aren't getting paid to play or nothin'

rant now over :)

RPG

am I the only one who thinks college football is a joke?

teams moving from one conference to another to get more money, coaches signing mult-million dollar contracts. I liked it better when there were 10 teams in the Big 10 (now there's what, 12, 13?, so not much math going on at school apparently), and only four major bowl games. Rose, Orange, Sugar and Cotton.

The sport is over exposed (don't even care who wins the Michigan/Ohio State game anymore) and IMHO, the athletes are the ones getting raked over the coals.

good thing the ticket prices are so cheap, you know because the athletes aren't getting paid to play or nothin'

rant now over :)

RPG

Well I for one know why you don't care about the Michigan Ohio state rivalry :)

RPG,

You have a point.

I think a playoiff would generate interest even among casual fans or indifferent viewers.

BTW, tickets being cheap may be a relative concept.

With booster contribution our seats ran about $125 each per game

so a block of 8 for 7-8 home games adds up.

Then there's the tailgate costs, and some also incur parking fees.

Many schools also charge a seat license fee.

Then there's the cost of therapy too.

Just to rile up Danny I'll predict that Saban will be gone from 'Bama by February 1, 2014.

Your ploy worked. First time I've been here since August & what do I see? Saban gone?!! I think not. Maybe he'll retire after the three peat, but that's about it. No school will beat what Bama will pay him, & he's already been down the Not For Long road.

See y'all in August.

• 3 months later...

Archived