IGNORED

College football 2012...let's get ready to ruuuummmble!

Huzband

It's finally that time of year again. That time where we start to talk smack at work, around the water cooler & lunch room, & even on the internet. Whom's best, whom will choke & when, will so & so team survive without injuries. And who knows, there might even be a dollar or two on the line somewhere along the way. Just be sure to have your tickets in advance if you want to go. One thing we know for sure is, no matter the economy, the big games are always sold out.

Now, James already mentioned a couple of games that are on Thur. night. I'll show some respect & not diss 'em, but really? UMass & UConn? I know they're good at hoops, but....

Now to the serious stuff. Sat night. #2 Bama & #8 Michigan. First, how did the Wolverines garner #8 status? I have long & deep respect for their program(Schembeckler fan here), but I didn't see that coming. Are they that good?

Okay, let's assume they are. They're 8, we're 2. Good game to be sure, but 'nuff said. Bama makes a title defense statement.

As to strength of schedule. Somehow Bama got off light this year. Besides at Arkansas, we really have no worries. Oh, there is that thing in Baton Rouge on Nov. 3rd. That there is sure to be a slobber knocker. LSU will be looking for for some recompense, but they'll be without probably the best defensive back & punt returner in the country. That said, they'll give a good fight, but come up just a bit short. I think his missing will be the difference.

Okay. long winded, but there it is. Bama runs the table, repeats, & talk of dynasty dominates ESPN.

Bring it! :lurk:

"& talk of dynasty dominates ESPN"

only among the Bamalamalumni who populate that place.

There will be 3 or 4 SEC games that Bama takes for granted and in at least one they'll lose.

Who cares, Saban is the Deevil.

Go Noles!

You & Matt should be best friends.

After LSU in T'town last year, Bama takes NOTHING for granted.

Noles can go wherever they want, but it won't be Miami Jan. 7th.

Honestly, Michigan often gets the benefit of the doubt by the press and the coaches. #8? That kinda surprised me as well. I'd rather see them come in somewhere around #12 or #14 and earn their way up to the top 10. Top 10 is for proven teams, and Michigan isn't all that proven yet.

But come September 1st, Michigan will get the chance to show the nation just how good they are. Of course I want them to win, but even if they lose within a touchdown, keep it hot and close and competitive, that will say something for their program.

If they win, though, you guys are gonna have to figure out a way to lock me out of this site! Cause I'll be talkin more trash all the way through January. Even if Michigan doesn't win another game all fall, this will be enough for me :thumbsup::grin:

I wouldn't be so quick to write off Florida State this fall. Who makes it to what bowl is still so political, so who knows if they'll be playing for it all, but I do expect them to be among the top teams when all the dust settles (undefeated or maybe 1 loss).

By the way, Danny, UConn football is a powerhouse in the Big East So don't you think a little respect is in order? :smirk:

By the way, Danny, UConn football is a powerhouse in the Big East So don't you think a little respect is in order? :smirk:

Big East? To quote John McEnroe, you can NOT be serious. :grin:

Big East? What conference do they play in? :rofl:

If Mythagain is gonna do it, this is the year.

Experience at QB with pressure old hat for him and a history of big plays.

Improvement elsewhere.

This cpould be as shocking as another game at Michigan a few years ago...

This should be an excellent year for the Noles.

Despite loss of all-american cb/pr game changer on defense, unit should be top tenish or better.

Experience at offensive skill positions galore.

BUT, big caveat is the dadgum o-line who might be acceptable, awful, or great.

Very little experience but big guys who want to knock people down, we'll see.

Go Noles!

This cpould be as shocking as another game at Michigan a few years ago...

Oh, you gotta bring that up! That killed the '07 season right in its tracks. The beginning of the end for my boys. We are only now (hopefully) emerging from that valley.

Husker season hangs on 3rd year starting QB Taylor Martinez. He's shown flashes of amazing athletic skill in the past, but also head-slapping incompetence. He's worked on his passing all summer and many say his leadership has improved too. IF he plays up to his potential it would force teams to respect our passing ability instead of stacking 8 men in the box every time. This looks like another 9-4 type season to me, but I hope they prove me wrong.

I'll also be watching Michigan with interest this year. I like Brady Hoke and any fan base that hates Ohio St. that much can't be all bad... Urban Meyer seems to have devolved into a "win at any cost" type of coach and I can't help but root against him. He's not quite as despicable as Lane Kiffen, but he's getting there. ;)

Urban Cryer has forgotten things about being despicable that Lane Kiffin never learned.

And Lane can't hold a candle to rePete Carroll.

But Saban is the devil.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Go Santa Clara! Go.....reinstate Football then go through building a program again and then, and then. Well, never mind.

How about a Soccer thread?

USC - Ranked #1 in 2 of the top three polls, but it only matters if they beat Notre Dame.

Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo - Not ranked so high, but they play with heart. :) GO MUSTANGS!

Johnny J

For the Saban haters...get over it. If he were coaching your school, you'd be a fan.

If he dumps Alabama like he has other teams, you might not feel that way.

Careful now. That phrase is lecensed by Michael Buffer, and incurs fees when used...

"let's get ready to..."

:lurk:

So he can sue me.

For the Saban haters...get over it. If he were coaching your school, you'd be a fan.

He did, I wasn't and sure ain't now.

He is the devil.

Success on the field is not enough.

Men give their word and honor it.

Wonder how he'll react to Michigan running over them?

Maybe because I am a northerner, I see things a bit differently. To me, while there are some coaches who are truly evil (Sandusky), the vast majority are just bothersome opposition. This is how I feel about Ohio State, Michigan State, all the other Big 10 coaches for that matter.

But I don't hate them. I don't even hate their teams. The more bothersome they are the more I respect them! For instance, I so wanted to see Michigsn dominate a Jim Tressell led Buckeyes team. Now I feel robbed because it cannot happen. Tressell owned the Big 10, but he also set the standard for excellence for the other coaches to follow. There's nothing worse than a soft, mediocre, so-so conference (big east), so I want the other Big 10 teams to be strong, dominant, and successful. I just want Michigan to be more so.

Nick Saban is a great head coach! He do dominated at Michigan State, LSU, and now Alabama. He may move in someday (Michigan :grin:), but he'll leave a couple of National Titles in his wake. Wish Michigan coaches would follow in those footsteps.

Besides, after the whole Penn State thing, a case could be made that it is good for coaches to eventually move on. This way we might avoid the Joe Paterno effect of life long coaches accumulating way too much power.

Extrapolation is a dangerous methodolgy, IMO.

We'll see where the peripatetic Say ban is in 3-4 years.

Term limits for football coach?

:rofl:

There are way too many examples from little nicky.

Here's one, from one of many articles about his veracity.

Welcome to the warped world of college football, where Saban's twisted description of Tressel's firing is the latest example of honor among thieves. Of course, why should we expect better from a self-important coach like Saban, who once compared getting defeated in a football game to the catastrophic national tragedies of 9-11 and Pearl Harbor?.

link

Really?

I prefer the god, family, school, football, in that order of other

coaches wrt the importance of football.

IMO he hasn't got a clue.

I prefer the god, family, school, football, in that order of other

coaches wrt the importance of football.

Unless a coach complies with tallmans life priorities, he's evil?

:rofl:

IMO he hasn't got a clue.

Alabama seems to disagree.

It would appear that the only thing that makes Saban uniquely evil in your eyes is the fact that he's such a winner on the football field.

OK, enough of this sideline squabbling.

I'm getting antsy, when's game time? I suppose we will soon see if Coach Saban still has it when he meets Coach Hoke on Satuday night :clap:

No James, he is evil because he has broken his word to countless players, fans, schools, alumni, recruits, reporters, families, etc.

He is evil becasue he compares competition to real world struggles where people died.

He is evil becasue he compared Ohio State Coach Jim Tressel to a fallen soldier.

If you think Tressel did a fine job at OSU and disagree with the outcome, that is one thing.

If you think what happened to Tressel is equivalent to dying for our country, I would say, no.

Simple facts support the truth that he is out of touch with the pain and suffering casued by many events in our history.

He is out of touch with anything but winning.

That produces wins, builds programs, but IMO, lessens the result, cheapens the motivation, and denigrates the honor and memory of all who have been impacted by the events Saban compares his games to.

There are coaches who have compared the games to historical events,

but in the context of learning how to work together, sacrifice together, to achieve a common goal.

Not the absurd notion that a football coach being fired is the same as a young man dying in the service of our country.

They are games.

So, to me, and many, his distortions and blatant disrespect to

anyhone who isn't Sabanized changes the way we look at his results.

YMMV

BTW, the priorities I listed works pretty well for most things in life.

Just substitute vocation for football and go from there.

:wave:

So, yes, on with the games.

We're heading to a great season and will vanquish any foolhardy

enough to show up...

respect all your opinions, but like a majority of our threads it seems we get side tracked on everything else.

Let's bag the "coach" b-s and get on with the games. the f'n coaches don't strap it up the players do.

Yes, let's see if Michigan can vanquish evil this Saturday night :grin:

OK, I'm at work and limited to my iPhone, but are there any other "trash talk worthy" games coming up this weekend? Anyone wanna predict where the upsets are gonna strike? There's always major upsets every weekend, where will they be this time -- aside from Dallas, TX?

How about Wisconsin using another ACC QB transfer to run the table in the Big 10/11/12ish?

Akron over UCF.

And a guaranteed outcome.

Washington State versus BYU, my money is on the Cougars.

Nevada to upset Cal.

ND will win for ugliest uniforms on Saturday.

How about Wisconsin using another ACC QB transfer to run the table in the Big 10/11/12ish?

The one from last year seems to be doing well, named starting QB for the Seahawks going into the season.

Akron over UCF. No way, Tim (i hope) :P

And a guaranteed outcome.

Washington State versus BYU, my money is on the Cougars.

Nevada to upset Cal.

ND will win for ugliest uniforms on Saturday.

Help me to get the Bowden boys straight:

Terry Bowden coached at Auburn, correct? What happened there? I vaguely remember him stepping down under a cloud of controversy.

Who was the Bowden who coached at Clemson and where is he now? I take it he was fired from that job at Clemson for not living up to the AD's expectations?

I didn't sign any "no coach discussions" agreement. They are very much a part of the game. Michigan is a clear case in point; it wasn't until they fired Rodriguez and hired Hoke that the team made a complete turn around and posted a winning season. Alabama would still be a good football team, but Nick Saban has made them a great football team.

Coaches are a vital part of the game. Fighting over them is unnecessary, games are good for sorting things out. But coaches must be included in the discussions.

never said you did :wave:.

imo we spend too much time on the coaches. realize it won't change and the coaches are the mega $$ lightning rods.

you didn't say no to me complaining either.

i'm sticking with Niumatalolo over Kelly.

Coaches are fair topic now, since we haven't really seen the players do anything yet. Since we're making our wild predicitons for the upcoming year, I'll take Bo Pelini as most likely to burst a blood vessle in his brain or punch an ESPN sideline reporter for asking, "How did you feel when your team allowed that last second TD just before halftime?"

Bo+Pelini+12+Championship+Nebraska+v+Texas+30zHx8WVwlFl.jpg

bo-best.jpg

Word on the message boards is that he has embraced his softer side during the off season:

tumblr_lwp1ejskl91r8ifvxo1_500.jpg

James,

The Auburn controversy was contrived by members of the AD staff despite Terry going undefeated (yes in the mean ol SEC)

IMO.

Tommy coached at Clemson having then created the awful annual Bowden Bowl FSU vs Clemson and listening to the stands chant "who's your daddy".

Was tough on the momma.

Terry (I went to law scholl with him) coached successfully

at various levels, most recently N Al where he returned to coaching. School became an asylum for higher level players needing someplace to land.

Although Akron is probably miles away from competing with any big schools, he'll get them on that course.

All 3 have been head coaches at various schools amassing the highest total number of victories by any family in NCAA history.

Tommy flamed out at Clemson, Jeff flamed out at FSU (is on staff at Akron) Terry went into broadcasting and then left to retrun to the sidelines.

Should be a Bowden on the chalk lines for many years.

Brian,

I would agree if the coach wore a mask, was anonymous, all got the same base salary, and then were awarded from a giant pool based on results.

They don't/aren't/and have become larger than life in many cases.

We spent a long time wrt PSU/Paterno on this board.

I'll try to focus on the games, good luck.

I'm with Matt. I'm sorry I took the bait & started this thread. I thought it was about football, not personal opinions of coaches. You want to talk about coaches? Start your own danged thread!

Tim has issues. Not just with Saban, but he'll make every excuse & carry the water for every Bowden from now till the end of time. Too bad he won't be honest enough about his beloved Bobby's character issues.

Very interesting scores so far tonight:

#9 S Carolina @ Vandy - 13-13!

UCF @ Akron - 35-7!

And the one we've all been waiting for...

UMass @ UConn 20 - 0! (now I've given Danny something to truly be sorry about :grin:)

ericfoerster

All I care about right now is this Saturday night. DEATH VALLEY will roar when the Tigers take the field. No hurricane can keep the Tigers from the field. The official word came out this afternoon......PLAY BALL.

I will be watching the side game as Bama plays Big Blue. The Tide faces a pretty good team to fire off the season.

I have a feeling that this season is going to be absolutely crazy.

What a wonderful time of year.

Excellent :rofl:

Some of these coaches are real shows in and of themselves.

I hope Leach can pull off at Wazzu what he did at Tech. It's bean real lean around here for a looooooong time.

Archived