IGNORED

Canisterectomy

2wheelterry

I did the search and have read the posts on the canisterectomy. The best description is on the attached link. It appears from the posts this is the method most used. I recall one of my previous motorcycles had the fuel (and radiator) overflow routed along the swingarm to dump the liquid aft of the rear tire (at least aft of the contact area).

If the canister was removed, it looks like the fuel overflow tubing could be extended to run inside the rear fender and dump behind the rear tire. This seems safer.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

http://www.ibmwr.org/r-tech/oilheads/cannister_horn.shtml

When I've done my cannisterectomies there has always been enough tubing (from the fuel tank overflow to the cannister) that I have just re-routed that tube down behind the motor and in front of the rear tire. There are usually 1-2 other tubes which dump out in that location: Battery vent tube and (IIRC) an ABS dump tube. I have just routed the fuel dump to dump where the other dump lines go. It is probably quite rare that anything comes out of any of these dump tubes (as long as you keep the rubber side down!).

There have been some questions in some cannisterectomy threads as to whether it is better to: 1) Cap the "T" fitting and allow a "balancing" line to remain between the throttle bodies, or 2) Just remove the whole tube and cap each throttle body off separately. Never saw a good answer to this, but I have always just capped the vacuum port off at each throttle body.

Tom

Archived