IGNORED

Advise on removing canister

donhallman

As part of my Christmas to do list I want to remove the canister from my 02RT. I see there are three hoses atttached to it. Anyone done this who can tell me which ones to connect or plug? I just removed speakers,radio frame and antenna, and installed an Odyssey battery. All that is left on my list is to remove the canister and change alt belt and modify belt cover.

As part of my Christmas to do list I want to remove the canister from my 02RT. I see there are three hoses atttached to it. Anyone done this who can tell me which ones to connect or plug? I just removed speakers,radio frame and antenna, and installed an Odyssey battery. All that is left on my list is to remove the canister and change alt belt and modify belt cover.

Did'nt know you can remove it without affecting the perfomance. or does it? I thought about relocating it under the fender out of sight. curious to know what or how it affects anything.. if you do, pm me and let me know. thumbsup.gif thanks

russell_bynum

As I understand it.....

The system takes fuel vapor from the gas tank and routes it to the charcoal canister. Eventually, some vapor will condense and travel back down the tubes where it's released into the throttle bodies downstream of the butterflies.

You will not change the performance of the bike by removing the canister, but you may be violating local emissions laws so if that sort of thing matters to you, be sure to do the research first.

My understanding is that performance is not affected, but when they go bad they can affect the injectors. Only took about 10 minutes to remove, once I was told how.

As I understand it.....

The system takes fuel vapor from the gas tank and routes it to the charcoal canister. Eventually, some vapor will condense and travel back down the tubes where it's released into the throttle bodies downstream of the butterflies.

The system absorbs vapor from the gas tank and then the ECU opens a vacuum solenoid valve that draws the vapor back into the throttle bodies under cruise conditions. Or at least that's the way it's supposed to work...

Did'nt know you can remove it without affecting the perfomance. or does it? I thought about relocating it under the fender out of sight. curious to know what or how it affects anything.. if you do, pm me and let me know. thumbsup.gif thanks

The Non-US bikes do not have the cannisters, these is no other engine-related differences between the US and European models. That would suggest that there is no performance impact.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

Weight reduction from removing cannister, speakers and radio chasis = 4.6 lbs. Weight gained during holidays = 4.6 lbs. Hmmm.

Further question on canister removal. Will this cause an

excessive vacum in the tank?

Weight reduction from removing cannister, speakers and radio chasis = 4.6 lbs. Weight gained during holidays = 4.6 lbs. Hmmm.

Like I said, the cannister is an add-on for the US market, the original design doesn't have it. So there is no mechaninical or engineering reason to keep the canister.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

No, the tank would be vented directly to atmosphere but if left in place and it does become clogged it will cause excessive tank vacuum which may cause problems with your fuel level sensor or even stop the engine.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Don,

1. Pull the hose off the cannister that comes from the tank. Re-route it to vent with the other vent hoses that travel down along the right side of the bike and cut it to size.

2. Pull the cannister and associated hoses off the bike, and remove the servo valve thingy. (It just unplugs from the harness)

3. Put little plugs over the vacuum nipples on the throttle bodies where the hoses used to go.

Done. No performance changes.

My cannister had belched a lot of it's charcoal down the tube toward my throttle bodies. I hope there's a filter somewhere in the servo thingy.

3. Put little plugs over the vacuum nipples on the throttle bodies where the hoses used to go.

Better yet, route the TB hoses up between the battery and air cleaner then plug them. Makes a handy way to check TB synch without removing tupperware.

Better yet, route the TB hoses up between the battery and air cleaner then plug them. Makes a handy way to check TB synch without removing tupperware.

BAM!!!!!!!!

This came at just the right time! I'm on my way out to do my first TB Sync.. and I just did a cannisterectomy and was just about to tie up all the lines/trim/cap etc. before the TB Sync.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Great idea.

BTW, my cannister clogged up tight, and caused a vacuumn pull in the gas tank to the point where it crimped the sensor.

I'm hoping it springs back to life (it's the lower tank sensor so the RID shows a little less than half in the tank... ). A common result from clogged lines.... It happened quick I just wish I were quicker!!

Thanks again..

If you don't remove it you may end up with this.
This picture has been posted several times with some alarmist words that imply they all do this. They do not.

Every plugged up canister I've ever seen has been because someone incorrectly connected the hoses during improper servicing of the bike causing routing of water from the fuel fill neck drain into the canister.

Hardly a spontaneous failure of the emissions control system and a reason to go yanking it off.

Every plugged up canister I've ever seen has been because someone incorrectly connected the hoses during improper servicing of the bike causing routing of water from the fuel fill neck drain into the canister.

I was the one that originally posted that canister picture which was from a low mileage 02RT. The hoses were not crossed, I checked them when trying to figure out what was causing the vacuum in my fuel tank. A few weeks before the problem started the bike was driven several long days in hard rain at highway speed. Water droplets may have been drawn up the vent hose terminal end behind the right footplate into the canister. It was the small tube you can see down the center that rusted shut.

The hoses could be crossed I suppose but then the fuel tank would be vented to atmosphere and the tank would not go into a vacuum.

Archived