IGNORED

Thinking of purchasing: `10 K1300GT, or, `16 K1600GTL

jimbullitt

Looking for a little hope, strength and experience. New to forum, and seriously considering, purchasing one of the two models-indicated in topic. I have ridden the new `12, at a local dealer-for a whopping 4.5 miles, at 45 mph, or less. I don't think that is really enough to help me decide. I have at least two+ `10 models, in my area, that are probably a little closer to what I would "like" to spend. I can afford the `12, but have the oppportunity-on several fronts-to purchase very low mile `10s, for 6-8000. less. (At least one of these `10 models, has the top box, aftermarket exhaust,handlebar G.P.S. mount and a host of other goodies.) I do realize-mostly from my research, that the two motorcycles offer, different ergonomic seating positions, and that we are discussing the "outgoing 4 clinder", for the incoming 6 cylinder. I would appreciate all commentary. Thank you-and I'm glad to be onboard!

Welcome.

Like so many things, what floats your boat

sinks mine.

Buy what you like, and can afford.

You'll be happier.

The '10 GT is plenty of bike for solo or two up.

The 1600 is even more so with additional everything.

Perhaps ergos or switch controls might influence your choice

but there has to be a huge diff in $$$ 'tween a new 1600 and used '10 GT.

I'd prolly opt for the used farkled GT.

If you aren't happy it won't post much.

Buy the 1600 and change your mind........

well, someone will be happy,

the guy who buys it at a discount from ya.

Good luck.

Edited by tallman

As Tim said ultimately only you can decide but for $6-8K less and fully farkled I think I'd have to go with the 1300 if the money matters at all. Depreciation on BMW motorcycles is an killer and I'd take advantage of the deal on the '10 to help mitigate that. The 1600 is a very nice bike but the 1300 is very satisfying as well, and the deals on them right now are incredible (and also gives you some idea on how much a new 1600 will be worth in a couple of years ;) )

As I originally stated-after a very short ride-the 1600, is pretty impressive. If there are many, many 1300 owners here-that have been very satisfied with their purchase(basically, no regrets) I would love to hear the pluses, and any 'minuses', one versus the other. I have seen the color pallette, for the new '13-and I could just as easily(even though it would cost more) go that route as well. I will be riding an '07 1200, that belongs to a friend, on Thursday-to help with my decision. Thanks for the feedback, so far!

No regrets?

Not likely and we have a member whose 1300

had numerous issues and was bought back by BMW.

Obviously the exception, but no gaurantees.

I still ride a flying brick, '03.

Great bike, IMO.

And beeyouteefulll...

But compared to new K's it is outdated.

Yeah, so, like I said, I think it is a great bike

and fun to ride and great for tours, solo or two up.

Works for me, and you'll figure out which one moves you.

Dennis Andress

I own a k1300 S, and have taken a long demo ride on a K1600 GT. I like light bikes. The K16 has no chance with me; there's probably 150 lbs weight difference between a K1600 GT and my S. For a K1300 GT that difference would be less.

The big differences I noticed where:

1) The K16 has considerable more driveline lash.

2) The mass of the K16 is felt when going through dips in the road; like drain gutters at an intersection.

3) The K16 was very comfortable on the freeway.

If I had to choose I'd want to first spend a lot of time with each bike. The electronics and their controls occupied a lot of my attention while I was riding the K16. It would have been nice to have figured all of that first. A longer test ride would be in order too. My local dealer would be happy to let me take his K16 demo out for an afternoon -- probably only on a workday.

Does the K1300 have an extended warranty? If not, how much does one cost? What's the difference in EW cost between the K13 and the K16?

Firefight911

I am "that guy" that Tim is referring to. My K13GT was bought back as a lemon law bike. Now, that being said, I still maintain that out of all 8 BMWs I have owned that one I hold dearest to my heart excepting my R1200ST.

The K13, in my opinion, was one of BMWs greats. Of course, that means that they killed it as a production bike after a two model year cycle.....kinda like the R12ST. Hmmmmmmm......?????

Given your two choices it is a hands down winner to the K13GT. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Go get an extended warranty for it and ride it in to the ground.

Even in light of my "experience" with the buy back (one of two in less than a year) I would own a K13GT again as it was the perfect weekend, week long, month long, day ride, do it all, go fast, go two up, motorcycle. My wife loved it from both a riding it and being a passenger and it took me on some great trips. Getting there was fun as well. It never took me long to connect the dots but, well, that's one of the beauties of the K13 motor isn't it?

As for the K16, hell no!!!! Porky pig and so many additonal things to go wrong over and above the K13 even. Neither bike is immune to their issues. The first two sold in my area were both bought back lemon law.

I would go with a 2010 and steer clear of the 2009s.

If I could only pick one for touring - I would pick the K12GT or the K13GT in your case.

One thing you need to consider is the maintenance of the modern BMW motorcycle. The maintenance cost can be a killer if you rely on the dealer. Even for self maintainers the costs will surprise you. I've seen 3 parts increases by BMW over the past 18 months. Stick coils are now $150 a piece for example.

No offense to the K16 owners, but that bike is a bit too portly for a GT badge.

If you go with the BMW brand and like to wrench, watch for a tech day invite. The next one is tentatively set for October right here in Austin otherwise LS BMW can take good care of you.

We had the 2010 K1300GT and it's exactly what it says, a Grand Touring bike it was. We rode it in the mountains many times and it just chewed up the twisties and begged for more. We put 50k miles on it before we traded it in for the R1200GSA. I only had a few problems with it in the time we had it, switches on the handlebars were defective, something was wrong with the fuel mixture, and there was a bug in the software. All was fixed under warranty, so make sure that those Items have been fixed. It does take about 4 to 5 hours to change the plugs and make sure you get the short oil filter too. One last thing the K1300GT has the same horsepower as the K1600GTL.

Edited by Hookman

Mostly one up or two?

The K16's are 4 inches longer, the GT 90 lbs heavier, the GTL even more.

If you want to know what the rest of the world things, google "K1300 vs K1600" and enjoy. There's a lot of interesting opinion, and some interesting data too.

I'd find a way to ride them both for 100+ miles. Check out k1600forum.com, a lot of those folks came from K13s and RTs. They will have some BIAS. You might find someone there that would let you ride their K16 if you can't find a dealer.

$ wise K13 < K16

HP wise they are equal

Torque wise the K16 has 30+ ftlbs, but the extra weight too.

The K16 has more room, even more so on the GTL.

Sport wise the K13 wins.

Only you know which one moves you, and which one has the right value. There's no wrong choice here.

Also, keep in mind, that at the mid-high 20k price point for the K16 you could also...

Buy a V-Strom and put nearly 20k in your 401k.

Buy a V-Strom and a Road King.

Buy an RT and a Sertao. (almost)

Buy a Civic and a Sertao.

Buy a CBR600 and a Tiger 800, and maintain them for a few years...

Thanks to all who have added their .02-I really appreciate it.

I rode a friend's `07 K1200GT, yesterday, for about 2 1/2 hours, all over the Texas Hill Country. It was smooth, powerful, and the dialable ESA, was also a nice add.

I did have the sense that the forward canted ergos might get a little tedious-on a really long trip-although I am sure that more saddle time, and "getting more used to this, would help?

My brief recollection of the `12 K16GTL, that I rode the about a week ago, is of a more upright, seating position-which I think would be advantageous? on a long trip!

I still don't think that I am quite ready to trade my current machine-for either, just yet. My experience on the `07, does have me wanting more! though!

Dennis Andress

Those questions can only be answered by you. Some of the answers may take a few miles, maybe a few thousand. Others, like the value of ESA, may take years (when you have to dig deap to replace the shocks).

Buy with your heart, but have a plan. Today's motorcycles are rather specialized; they do some things very well, others are a compromize. Don't expect any bike to perfectly fit your riding style. Rather, accept that you will have to change so the bike can do what it does best. Give it time. Work at it. The reward can be really cool.

Dennis

I know..I do realize that I will be the one deciding. I appreciate your perspective-as I may be looking for a 'smoking gun', here. The thought/idea of 'digging deep'-to, one day, replace worn ESA components-doesn't sound very appealing. My buying patterns have changed. I purchased my Harley FXR, new, in 1988, and kept it until 2007? I wish I still had it. I have convinced myself, after being with HD, for these last tewnty-five years-that I need a better, different, cruiser, than my current Ultra. I am just dissatisfied with it's lack of real suspension, and feel like it's more of a compromise-today-than I am willing to accept. I'm also not willing to throw money at it's inadequacies, to try and get to the space I can be in-with the purchase of a BMW. That's the conclusion I draw-at this point, anyway.

Dennis Andress

There's a universe of differences between a Harley and a K bike. K bikes have this innate ability to move two dots on a map closer together. You have to get up earlier - before the cops...

Honestly, it sounds like you need to start over. You've been on a Harley so long changing brands is not going to be easy. Maybe you could pick up something simple and cheap to begin with. Ever look at an FJR? FZ1? R1100 RT?

Dennis

XDSC0053-M.jpg

There's a universe of differences between a Harley and a K bike. K bikes have this innate ability to move two dots on a map closer together. You have to get up earlier - before the cops...

Honestly, it sounds like you need to start over. You've been on a Harley so long changing brands is not going to be easy. Maybe you could pick up something simple and cheap to begin with. Ever look at an FJR? FZ1? R1100 RT?

Dennis

XDSC0053-M.jpg

Well..I just got off the phone with the local BMW dealer. We had looked at a difference figure, about a week ago, after they appraised my Ultra. I had driven my bike to their store, and rode both the K16, and the R12RT.

They have a Dark Blue, `12 K16GTL.

We are currently about 500.00 apart, and if they will collapse their figures by the 500.00 I'm asking for-I may become the owner of that bike.

I have read so much-and even though my test ride was pretty brief, I thought that it was an amazing machine, and I can just "relearn" the new bike-`not skeered.

I do already have the Tuono, for playing in the hill country, when I'm not out touring.

I will keep the forum informed-as to the next development(s)..

Wah wah.. I just got off the phone with the Sales Manager, at the local dealer. I figured we were about 500.00 apart. they agreed to "squeeze", on their end, and allow the 500.00.. If all goes as planned, I will be trading in the Ultra, first of next week-and 'officially', joining the BMW folks !

Sorry I'm late to the party...

I like the K16 but I got skeered away by its huge price...Zikes! I bought a used '09 K1300GT earlier this year with low miles. I think it's a great bike. I had an '03 K1200GT before and I just recently sold it. Hope you have a great weekend waiting for your new bike!

Yeah, BMW's biggest competition against the K1600 is probably... BMW... in that prices on K12/1300 bikes are so attractive and the bikes so close in performance that it's pretty hard to justify the considerable extra expense for the 1600.

Sorry I'm late to the party...

I like the K16 but I got skeered away by its huge price...Zikes! I bought a used '09 K1300GT earlier this year with low miles. I think it's a great bike. I had an '03 K1200GT before and I just recently sold it. Hope you have a great weekend waiting for your new bike!

I do realize that I'm preparing to bite off a chunk, here. I basically am(in the parlance)trading an 'open', for an 'open'.. I have a note, and will still have a note-although I am upgrading.

• 6 years later...
Adamrover

I as going to change my 2010 k1300gtee for a k1600 sport. Spoke to a good dealer who said why?   Ended up keeping my k1300..::: good bke but switches and heated seats keep failing. Bike has done 25 k also clutch has just gone.   I have used it to commute so lots of stop starting in london.  If you own a bmw expect high repair and parts costs, but great fun👍

My '09 K1300GT was the best bike I have ever owned, and would gladly have purchased another new if available in place of my '18 RT. The new RT is a wonderful machine, whether touring or hustling through the twisties, but the K bike was far more exciting, mostly because of it's bottomless well of power. Read up on final drive issues and how to recognize a failing one. The failure rate on the '10's was less than earlier models, but none the K1200/1300 series is immune.