IGNORED

Un XII: Where, Why, and "Yes, I'll do it."

EffBee

Anyone that says they've "been there done that" in NC, might not fully appreciate the roads there unless they lived nearby for quite some time. I have a fairly extensive knowledge of the roads in Western NC and I rarely ride the roads people talk about because there are so many good ones that are unknown.

Anyone who just attended the F.A.R.T. event in Maggie Valley would most certainly concur with Ken. We have ridden the BRP many times and mant of the roads off the parkway - but have NEVER ridden the beautiful and challenging byroads we did for the past three days!!

Anyone that says they've "been there done that" in NC, might not fully appreciate the roads there unless they lived nearby for quite some time. I have a fairly extensive knowledge of the roads in Western NC and I rarely ride the roads people talk about because there are so many good ones that are unknown.

100% agree. I have been going to Spring/Fall or both BMWST events held in NC over the past 9 years. I always find new roads (or take one of Ken's suggested routes) and end up on fantastic roads that I simply can't believe I had not ever been on before.

Of course an UnRally is more about the people than the roads for me anyway. Must be a reason why many of the west coast board members regularly ride the same roads around Torrey. :)

NC has over 79,000 miles maintained by the state hwy dept.

The most of any state.

Many mc riders only ride the "main roads" and miss by connectors, byways, and off the beaten track roads.

Some places I've ridden have only one way to get from A to C and you have to go thru B.

Not always the case in NC.

malcolmblalock

I live in NC, but unfortunately, not in the mountains. But I've found that the major roads like BRP, US highways, NC state roads are okay. But the real fun roads are the county roads. I've also found that any paved (I don't do dirt if it's easily avoided) road in our mountains is a good road to ride.

Not pushing for doing it here in NC, but just stating an observation that is likely true in most areas. I try to keep off the big roads if I can find a smaller one that goes in the general direction I want to go.

LeighAnderson

I'm fairly new to this group (Salida was my first Un). I'm in Houston, and New York is probably too far for my wife and me to consider. So I'll put in a vote for NC; I've not been riding there and do have it in the future check list.

I know a couple places in NC that we might could use.

A certain hotelier asked me how the group was doing on Friday afternoon as well.

Not a vote, just saying...

I m new to this whole scene and having just come on board this summer have never attended a UN. Having said that, NC gets my vote. Great part of the country. Great roads, sites, and people.

I have a fairly extensive knowledge of the roads in Western NC and I rarely ride the roads people talk about because there are so many good ones that are unknown.

I'm not great at reading between the lines, but that sounds to me like someone raising their hand and saying, "Yes, I'll do it". And even if it isn't I told Ken at dinner the other night I was nominating him for the job. Well guess what, he didn't say no!! :)

Beside the fact that he has a great track record, organizing two excellent gatherings (the second one of the best in memory), and knows the area extremely well, no one else has stepped forward to date, at least publicly. So my vote's for Ken, the man knows what he's doing. Hey Ken, I've always said a good FART should not go unnoticed or unpunished. :wave:

I think there's been a conspiracy brewing, but I love you guys anyway...don't ask me why :dopeslap:

Okay, I'm doing a little homework at the moment, but don't consider this a full on commitment until I feel confident in the results of my inquiries.

I may just have to go scout in person later this month...tough work :cry:

:thumbsup:

Good enough for now, just don't forget at some point you gotta run it all by the Boss Man, you've got his number, right? :)

Bernie, gladly!

I have always worked the BMWMOA, but Oregon is a long trip and Barbie has spoken...she wants to go back to the BMWRA at the Biltmore House. We can make a NC UN.

A Upstate NY Yes

B West Virginia No

C North Carolina No

Just got back from the Bethel/Woodstock area of upstate New York. It was on a car trip, but I'm thinking about returning next year on the bike. Beautiful area with lots of twisty roads, and we barely got into the Catskills. Definitely an area I'd like to explore more. Just keep in mind that the riding and the roads are not like we often have in the west. They often are narrower and tighter, with lower speed limits and slower riding in general, but still very challenging. Many old, quaint towns. Great place to ride, but vastly different than Colorado.

Just keep in mind that the riding and the roads are not like we often have in the west. They often are narrower and tighter, with lower speed limits and slower riding in general, but still very challenging. Many old, quaint towns. Great place to ride, but vastly different than Colorado.

In other words, LOTs of fun?

Upstate New York has a lot to offer for riders... it's beautiful, has a lot great roads, and great places to stay and see...I'd take Upstate NY over W VA and N C anytime!

Being that I grew up there, has no influence at all on me... :grin:

Beautiful.... Upstate NY

• 2 weeks later...
I think there's been a conspiracy brewing, but I love you guys anyway...don't ask me why :dopeslap:

Okay, I'm doing a little homework at the moment, but don't consider this a full on commitment until I feel confident in the results of my inquiries.

I may just have to go scout in person later this month...tough work :cry:

:lurk: How are you doing on your homework? :lurk:

Ken in North Florida heading south?

UH OH, The earth's magnetic poles flipped earlier than scientists calculated totally reversing his GPS routes.

"OFF ROUTE - RECALCULATING - MAKE A U TURN"

Terry

Ken in North Florida heading south?

UH OH, The earth's magnetic poles flipped earlier than scientists calculated totally reversing his GPS routes.

"OFF ROUTE - RECALCULATING - MAKE A U TURN"

Terry

You see, I put in Dublin and it said 3 weeks, so i left in time to get there on the 17th...maybe it's the wrong Dublin :dopeslap:

• 1 month later...
Maybe, Santa is working on his Special GPS files for a Christmas delivery? ;):grin:

Pat

You're that kid that snuck downstairs to get an early peek aren't you? :rofl:

Maybe, Santa is working on his Special GPS files for a Christmas delivery? ;):grin:

Pat

Santa brought mine.

I peeked.

Fitting the GT with kahnawnbies for the bigger water crossings soon.

:lurk:

Pat

You're that kid that snuck downstairs to get an early peek aren't you? :rofl:

With hope and anticipation, I'll check back on Christmas morning. :)

Archived