IGNORED

Un XII: Where, Why, and "Yes, I'll do it."

EffBee

OK, this turns into a giant suggestion box. Everybody has an idea where THEY would like it. Feel free to make your suggestion. But more than just a suggestion, consider submitting a proposal. To do that, please keep a few things in mind.

Our HQ hotel/motel should be clean, reasonably modern, with a negotiated rate that people can afford (think sub-$90 rooms, if possible) and with a general congregation area for morning BS, post-ride lies, and generally getting together to enjoy the camaraderie we seek. Camping within a close walk, or on the motel premises (about 10 tents, usually) helps give the event a greater feel of unity. Camping is not a dealbreaker, but do consider the needs of our camping members.

The location should have access to scenic and somewhat twisty roads. We want to be able to enjoy the handling of our BMW's.

With more and more GS riders on this board, some reasonable trail rides should also be available in the area.

The Un does not have to be complicated. It's simply a gathering to meet and to ride together. An event T-shirt would be nice. Name tags help. Beyond that, the only thing we insist on is a last meal together (usually catered, but a private room at a restaurant works fine) to give thanks and to enjoy each others' company one last time before departing for a safe ride home the next day.

You will have plenty of help. Experienced Un organizers should be available to offer advice and counsel.

The Un is not difficult. It's a combination of time, your organizing skills, some team building skills, and a general desire to see people have a good time. You don't have to entertain them. They'll take care of that. Just pick a good location that will work with a group like ours (we always get compliments for being so "nice") and get some good room rates. The rest is just details.

If you've got a location that you know and perhaps have already scouted, a friend or two to help, and a desire to contribute, please submit your proposal by PM to any member of the Admin Team.

Thank you in advance for your generosity.

How about a just for fun question here...Would you more likely go to an UN if it were held in?

A Upstate NY

B West Virginia

C North Carolina

Pat

How about a just for fun question here...Would you more likely go to an UN if it were held in?

A Upstate NY Hmmmm, I ain't Marco Polo and ain't got thirty days to hit the road. But it's a thought provoking option. Where in upstate NY would it be, Paper Butt's home? :P

B West Virginia Maybe.

C North Carolina Yes.

Pat

A Upstate NY Hmmmm, I ain't Marco Polo and ain't got thirty days to hit the road. But it's a thought provoking option. Where in upstate NY would it be, Paper Butt's home? :P

B West Virginia Maybe.

C North Carolina Yes.

Pat

The two guest rooms go for $495 per night and the back yard is ready for camping. Walk down the hill and jump in the lake. I will provide the bar of soap.

The two guest rooms go for $495 per night

Does that include a mint on the pillow? There are pillows...right? :grin::wave:

Pat

A Upstate NY. NO

B West Virginia. YES

C North Carolina MAYBE..depends where in NC

Pat

A Upstate NY YES

B West Virginia NO

C North Carolina NO

Pat

Paul Mihalka

A Upstate NY Yes #1 - It is the area I know least

B West Virginia Yes, but too close to home

C North Carolina Yes, but been there, done that

Pat

A Upstate NY Yes #1 - It is the area I know least

B West Virginia Yes, but too close to home

C North Carolina Yes, but been there, done that

Pat

Somewhere in the Catskills or the Adirondacks? I vote yes, especially the latter. I would also love to see the Un in the Finger Lakes region, but I don't think it would satisfy some of the folks who crave tight, technical roads as opposed to scenic roads and sweepers. I could be wrong about that, maybe Kathy or someone else could weigh in.

I too love the beauty of the Finger Lakes, but don't believe they hold enough allure for riders when compared to other areas like the Adirondacks.

A Upstate NY YES

B West Virginia Yes, but been there....

C North CarolinaYes, but been there...

Pat

Dennis Andress

A Upstate NY Yes! But, any East Coast UN is too far away for us.

B West Virginia No

C North Carolina No

Pat

Paul Mihalka

B West Virginia No

C North Carolina No

Pat

Com'on Dennis, it is the same distance from there to here than from here to there! :grin:

B West Virginia No

C North Carolina No

Pat

Com'on Dennis, it is the same distance from there to here than from here to there! :grin:

Dennis, with the time zone changes it will feel like a shorter ride home. :grin:

Kathy is that $495 Canadian?

We'll take one and a half rooms.

:lurk:

NY/Adirondacks/Finger Lakes

yes

if it doesn't conflict w/opening of school

can't do too much of the Smokies/NC/WV

so agaiin, yes

Dennis Andress

The big hurdle is doggy, cat, and bird day care while we're gone. Even though they get daily walks, they still get lonely. Leave these guys alone for too long and they may not let us back in...

BTW, I'd attend any one of those locations. Probably have to camp at kathy's place though. And bring my own soap. :/

Pat

markgoodrich

A Upstate NY

B West Virginia

C North Carolina

Pat

Uh, there's already an annual deal in WV: the Rubber Chicken Rendezvous.

AR,NC, TN, and southern MO, etc are more accessible to west coasters.

Amarillo, TX is ideally situated on an Interstate.

September or October would be much more comfortable, anywhere.

Yes to all three choices with NC running third in my order of preference. There is some great riding, both scenic and technical, in the Catskills and the Adirondacks.

A Upstate NY

B West Virginia

C North Carolina

Pat

Ridden in all three and love them all. If someone steps up to organize I'll be there. :thumbsup:

Never been to the Texas Hill Country. :)

A Upstate NY Yes, I need New England to complete my map.

B West Virginia Yes, but been there done that.

C North Carolina Yes, but been there done that.

Pat

We've also decided to attend the MOA this year since it's in Oregon. I'm sure others will want to attend both so separating the two by 4 to 6 weeks would be helpful.

A resounding +1 on that thought. The MOA rally dates are already set. If you don't know, they are:

July 18 - 21, 2013

Salem location is the Oregon State Fair & Exposition Center

If you don't separate them, you will be making people choose one or the other.

The MOA rally is almost always the weekend the middle of July.

Hill Country is shockingly beautiful. The local folks are very friendly, and the food is fantastic. My sis lives in Fredericksburg and I've spent many a day flying low in the general area.

This being Texas everything is big and I mean everything. I once did a day ride there leaving sis' place around 7:30 a.m. and returning around 4 that afternoon. My odometer read 376 miles and I never rode on the same road the entire day (I had my way with the Three Sisters!!). I had a blast riding paved whoop-d-doos at spirited speeds. The entire region is rife with great back country roads and some seriously technical stuff that will challenge the best riders.

Did I mention that I like Hill Country? I suspect that the only negative is that this area is best enjoyed in the month of April or in the fall.

Hey, don't we have some Texans on this board?? Come on folks, chime in with your thoughts!

Hill Country is shockingly beautiful. The local folks are very friendly, and the food is fantastic. ....

..... I had a blast riding paved whoop-d-doos at spirited speeds. The entire region is rife with great back country roads and some seriously technical stuff that will challenge the best riders.

Did I mention that I like Hill Country? .....

Hey, don't we have some Texans on this board?? Come on folks, chime in with your thoughts!

Sounds fantastic!

The normal Un time would be way too hot in the Hill Country.

The other issue is that the Three Sisters area can be over-run with motorcycles and bicyclists. That used to be just on the weekends, but over the years it got to be more of a problem on any day.

Pat

We've also decided to attend the MOA this year since it's in Oregon. I'm sure others will want to attend both so separating the two by 4 to 6 weeks would be helpful.

A resounding +1 on that thought. The MOA rally dates are already set. If you don't know, they are:

July 18 - 21, 2013

The potential dates for the Un is one thing that opens up for us when we find ourselves in opposite-coast positions with the MOA rally. Normally, we'd try and arrange it so people could go to one on the way to the other. That requires making the dates almost sequential. Not possible this year. Therefore, we can put the Un dates wherever we want them. That also helps keep temps down (theoretically) when traveling to the event since it would likely be much earlier than the MOA dates.

Hill Country is shockingly beautiful. The local folks are very friendly, and the food is fantastic.

All those things may be true (if you discount the Texans) but we've had several Hill Country meets in the past, traditionally in April before it gets too absurdly hot, and the Hill Country is on the wrong side of the country (the bottom in this case). Another separate Hill Country meet would be fine of course.

Hill Country is shockingly beautiful. The local folks are very friendly, and the food is fantastic.

All those things may be true (if you discount the Texans) but we've had several Hill Country meets in the past, traditionally in April before it gets too absurdly hot, and the Hill Country is on the wrong side of the country (the bottom in this case). Another separate Hill Country meet would be fine of course.

What he said

:thumbsup:

Pat

July 18 - 21, 2013

The potential dates for the Un is one thing that opens up for us when we find ourselves in opposite-coast positions with the MOA rally. Normally, we'd try and arrange it so people could go to one on the way to the other. That requires making the dates almost sequential. Not possible this year. Therefore, we can put the Un dates wherever we want them. That also helps keep temps down (theoretically) when traveling to the event since it would likely be much earlier than the MOA dates.

And, since it will be an East Coast event this year, being able to coordinate with the RA Rally June 20 - 23, on the grounds of the Biltmore Estate, would be a good thing. I know some folks would like to go to both a Rally and an Un-Rally the same year. :clap:

• 2 weeks later...

Darn, I got in to the discussion too late. I was gonna suggest Key West. It's got everything: small, flat, hot and full of pedestrians, in fact you wouldn't even need the bike. :grin:

A Upstate NY - never been, sounds good.

B West Virginia - never been, sounds good.

C North Carolina - went last year, right? (UN X, loved it :clap: ).

Barbie and I will definitely be at the RA. She loved the UN in Little Switzerland because she could bring her dog. Our attendance is dependent on her work schedule more than location.

How about Mt. Magazine Lodge in Arkansas?

Advantages: one of the most beautiful spots in America, in one of the most beautiful facilities in America, with twisty roads starting in the parking lot. It's a lot closer for most west coast members than NC or NY.

Disadvantages: the lodge is isolated, at the top of Mount Magazine (highest point in AR), thus no shopping, no nightlife. Other than riding and relaxing, the only other activity is beautiful hiking in the woods surrounding the lodge. This is really a rider's location...meaning "I want to ride wonderful roads every day." When I say isolated, I mean the nearest excuse for a town is half an hour away.

Preliminary investigation indicates room rates from $100-125. Daily meal costs per person will be about $30-50 in the restaurant..there really is no other place to eat. Look at the web site for lots of good information.

I have no idea about off-roading in the area.

Late April to late May, or late September to late October are the best times to be there, and to get there (not as hot).

Somebody start making some phone calls, get some group rates, and put together an Un Proposal. That's the only way it's going to happen, upstate NY, Arkansas or anywhere else.

• 2 weeks later...

A Upstate NY

My choice. I'm doing the Void Rally this fall & will be doing a couple week ride with my son next year on the Blue Ridge and Cherohala so WV/NC would be okay but not new. The Adirondacks would be cool. Like to avoid the first weekend of June since the Minuteman rally is usually held then.

If NC then doing it just before or after the RA would be convenient for folks looking to make a long vaca out of it all.

+2 for NC...love those roads especially around Blowing Rock!

Those are great...BUT been there, done that many times. Time for some new scenery... this is a big country.

A Upstate NYNo

B West VirginiaYes

C North CarolinaYes

LeighAnderson

Same here

A Upstate NYNo

B West VirginiaYes

C North CarolinaYes

A Upstate NYyes

B West Virginiano

C North Carolinano

Pat

yes to all three if in the fall -had enough last year of the heat and humidity crossing the plains.

A Upstate NY. Yes to the Lakes area near Paperbutt

B West Virginia. Yes.

C North Carolina. Yes.

Pat

Archived