IGNORED

BMWSportTouring History/Facts/Trivia

GS_George

I have been a member of this board for several years now and I have to say that "The Board" has influenced my riding, my writing, drinking, philosophy, etc. Ask my wife if you don't believe me. I have also met some pretty savy people. What I would like to know is:

When was "The Board" first established? I am assuming Dave had something to do with it.

How many members belong to the Board?

Any other relevant stats/info or interesting trivia that would interest the membership.

Thanks to Dave and all the moderators. thumbsup.gif

P.S. My search key is broken blush.gifgrin.gif

Cary Littell started the board in late 1996 as a personal home page to serve other RT owners. That led to such great interest in BMW motorcycles that he purchased a dealership in Marin (north of San Fran) in the summer of 2001.

Because that was going to occupy lots of his time and because he wanted to avoid any conflict of interest, he charged Fernando with finding a replacement leader. The first person he asked (wisely) said no, and so he asked me. I foolishly said "yes." tongue.gif That was four years ago.

I joined right when he was buying the dealership (May, 2001), and at the time there were 990 members. When I took over, there were 1,600. Now there are 9,700, and we're adding about 200/month. Of course all these refer to "users who have joined," since we obviously lose a bunch every month, too, as their interests change.

Other stats that might interest you: we usually have 15,000 posts/month, 12 million hits per month, viewing 170,000 pages in 130,000 visits by 45,000 unique visitors.

What Cary did was a lot more influential than what we have done. Once a discussion board gets a critical mass behind it, all you can do is screw it up. But getting that to happen at the outset takes a lot of work.

Since then the board has changed a lot and it's survived the mistakes we've made and also benefited from our singular, almost rabid focus on doing a specific thing. In other words, we don't waive from our mission of subject matter and tone. Most of the folks who hang around appreciate that (obviously), but we've made some real enemies along the way, too. That's why there are other great boards out there, too, and I visit most of them!

Merry Christmas to each of you. We have a moment of peace at the house as most of the 17 folks here just went to see a movie. smile.gif

Since then the board has changed a lot and it's survived the mistakes we've made and also benefited from our singular, almost rabid focus on doing a specific thing. In other words, we don't waive from our mission of subject matter and tone. Most of the folks who hang around appreciate that...

Well, I sure do! Even if I sell my BMW or stop riding, I'll be hanging around here because it's a true quality place to be. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, David and all the other volunteers. Thanks for a smashing job and a real ongoing contribution!

What Cary did was a lot more influential than what we have done. Once a discussion board gets a critical mass behind it, all you can do is screw it up. But getting that to happen at the outset takes a lot of work.

I'll second that. David and the band of merry (most of the time) men that work behind the scenes really and truly focus on keeping it what it is with little (very minor) tweaks along the way as things evolve and grow.

Since I have been a member, the Board has certainly changed - mostly as a result of growth. There was a time when most members here knew who almost all the other members were. Now, that's pretty much impossible, but that's not necessarily a bad thing either. The amount of wisdom, insight, warmth and true kindness that exists here is hard to find anywhere else, and that includes "off-line."

I'm sure it will continue to evolve, but our goal, as David said, is to keep ourselves from messing it up as it does.

I wish everyone had the benefit of the people I have the honor to call friends that live here on this Board.

Happy holidays to you all.

I'd like to add my thanks to Dave for his efforts towards this board. I have learned a lot of valuable info in a short period of time from BMWST. smile.gif

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year

Cary Littell started the board in late 1996 as a personal home page to serve other RT owners.

1996! WOW! I found this in early 2001 as I was preparing a cross-country trip to the MOA Rally in Redmond. As member 681, I thought the board was relatively new (like only a year or so old) when I joined. Remember all the excitement around reaching our 1000 member?

"The Board" has influenced my riding, my writing, drinking, philosophy, etc. Ask my wife if you don't believe me. I have also met some pretty savvy people.

Me too. Also laughed a lot and cried a lot. We have quite a fraternity here and I for one sincerely hope we never lose it. Thanks to everyone who keeps it going and once again, Merry Christmas to all!

PS: This post should be nailed down somewhere for newer members to find in the the future.

Very intersting Fact.......

When I do a Google search on a subject we're discussing.... Google often brings me back to BMWST.com. Many of our discussions end up being Google references.

Larry

PS: This post should be nailed down somewhere for newer members to find in the the future.

(*whack*, *whack*, *whack* . . . . ) There, it's nailed down! grin.gif

(But it's also available in the "About" tag in the header on every page! blush.gifthumbsup.gif

I'll add my appreciation to the kind folks on this board.....The great amount of knowledge that is possessed by members and is freely shared is very valuable and really adds to the experience of owning a BMW...Gentleness and kindness answering our basic, and sometimes sub-basic, questions shows the quality of folks we are lucky enough to be associated with by means of this site...

I'm even gathering tools, etc., and thinking (just thinking) of doing my own throttle sync, valve adjustment and other maintenance items on the 1150...Maybe even a spine lube on the K75 Paul........"It's easy"...

Anyway, thanks to all....

Phil.........Redbrick

Many of our discussions end up being Google references.

With this latest version of the discussion board software, we added the ability to make all threads search engine friendly. thumbsup.gif

David (and the entire team), allow me to add my thanks and appreciation for this site. It is a great resource and I've benefitted alot since discovering it a while ago. Eve though I've been on BMW's since the mid 70's, I'm always learning and trying to "enjoy the ride" even further.

My best wishes to all for a great holiday season and a safe and joyful New (Riding) Year!

Many of our discussions end up being Google references.

With this latest version of the discussion board software, we added the ability to make all threads search engine friendly. thumbsup.gif

Yikes,

Googled myself eek.gifblush.gif!

Thanks David, and all the other fearless folks that contribute.

Without this board I'd have more money smirk.gif

fewer friends blush.gif

less visitors frown.gif

and a gap in my life. grin.gif

Thanks David, and all the other fearless folks that contribute.

Without this board I'd have more money

fewer friends

less visitors

and a gap in my life.

Amen to that thumbsup.gif

Thanks, too, for helping us all through the noobie stage and bearing with the questions that get asked again and again and again. The way everyone allows patience for the newer members while they learn the ropes is really cool cool.gif A big part of what makes this place so special.

A big, firm handshake and pat on the back to all those who keep this place ticking clap.gifthumbsup.gifclap.gif

Chris

So, how is the overall health and finances of this board? Ever hear from Cary? Is he doing well at the dealership? I went by three years ago and it was a great shop.

So, how is the overall health and finances of this board? Ever hear from Cary? Is he doing well at the dealership? I went by three years ago and it was a great shop.
Overall health of this board, as far as content, I think is excellent. If finances are tight, I sure hope we would hear from David. I meet Cary occasionally at BMWNA dealer meetings, he is doing well but BUSY! As we are on opposite ends of the country I have not seen his shop yet, I would love to. I understand it is great - what makes it great are the people in it thumbsup.gif
Joe Frickin' Friday
Cary Littell started the board in late 1996 as a personal home page to serve other RT owners.

More trivia:

When Carey started it, it was www.BMWR1100RT.com. I think it was in 2002 when the R1150RT replaced the R1100RT that the board was renamed simply www.BMWRT.com to encompass both versions of the bike. As owners of other Beemers began to frequent the site, the focus on the RT was removed, and the link became www.BMWSportTouring.com, or www.BMWST.com. (anyone have the date for that last transition?)

Wow, David. Thanks for the trip down memory lane! thumbsup.gif

Actually, Mitch, when I first found it it was "Cary's BMW R1100RT Resource Pages" which got shortened to the archived one David linked to and then to BMWRT.com, etc.,etc. I don't remember the rest of the exact chronology though.

I lurked for a year or so (researching the perfect SportTouring M/C! grin.gif ), and the board made me feel welcome even though I didn't have an RT yet, so I joined under my original handle ("JKinners") a few months before the first UnRally (after another one of those "who are all these lurkers? outings"! grin.gif ). When we were still under one of the older iterations of the software, if I wanted to change my display name I had to start from scratch so I lost my old number (#2000), join date (March, 14, 2002) and post count. frown.gif

Thanks George for starting this thread....Really interesting....I feel as if I ought to raise my hand and ask permission to speak with this group..........

Phil....Redbrick

Jaime's got it right. The Board started as Cary's RT Resource Pages and the story evolved from there. I remember to this day Cary's infectious enthusiasm with motorcycles and the RT model in particular as gleaned from his dad. For some reason common to many of us, we found this spot in the far reaches of the internet to grab a seat and make it our home. I believe it was Fernando (one of the original moderators along with Shortcut and Kris Besley) who reflected that this was a meeting place of like-minded individuals who share a passion for riding first, and BMW motorcycles second. Well said, and very true today. From the first Tech Daze in Cary's garage - perfected later in Gleno's Garage-Mahal to the Pied Piper Tour - to the BBQ at Redmond culminating with the first UnRally "The Gathering at Gunnison" - this is truly a special place that provides that elusive element of balance to each of our lives. Simple, yet not necessarily weighty in the grand scheme of things (it's just a website afterall) but important in the quality and depth of fellowship between the people it has brought together.

I thank Cary for starting the snowball and David for controlling the avalanche. These are two gentlemen of the highest calibre who can flat ride the wheels off a BMW and drop everything to help you should you ever need them. The beauty is that both of them would say that the success of the board comes from its members, and they would be right.

A damned fine place kept vibrant and interesting by damned fine people!

russell_bynum
I feel as if I ought to raise my hand and ask permission to speak with this group..........

One of the things that I like the most about this group is how most people are so warm and welcoming.

I lurked for a while, posted a few dumb questions, etc. The Pied Piper ride up to the Redmond Rally was coming up. I considered it, but then thought "Why would I want to ride ALL THAT WAY on a motorcycle." eek.gif At that point, my longest day was about 200 miles.

When I saw all of the awesome pictures and the ride tales from that event, I decided that whatever this group did next, I would sign up.

The next thing that came up that I could make, was the original Tech Daze at Gleno's place in Boulder City. I posted saying that I was interested and got the typical "Bring it!" response.

My friends thought I was nuts. I kept getting questions like this "So...let me get this straight. You're riding 300 miles across the desert on a motorcycle in the middle of the summer to go stay at someone's house who you've never met with 30 people you've never met, to hang out and work on motorcycles? Dude....if someone hands you some koolaid, don't drink it." grin.gif

The time came. I was nervous. It was the first time I was going anywhere overnight on a bike. I tied my sleeping bag to the back seat with a racheting tie-down strap that had to be 30' long. blush.gif When I pulled up at Glen's, I was getting my gear off when Gleno walked up. He made a joke that made Fernando just about wet his pants, then gave me a big hug. 10 minutes later I was in the garage eating pizza with my best friends in the whole world....who just happened to be people I met 10 minutes ago.

That weekend was magic. People everwhere, bikes everyhwere, every color RT was represented. We laughed, told tall tales, spun wrenches, bench raced, learned about suspension setup, and ate the best f***ing tri-tip and bacon-wrapped shrimp ever to come off a grill.

On the ride home, I experienced my second group ride, and the first that didn't involve stopping for a beer every 10 miles and riders with chrome half-helmets. smile.gif

I've been hooked ever since.

I meet Cary occasionally at BMWNA dealer meetings, he is doing well but BUSY! As we are on opposite ends of the country I have not seen his shop yet, I would love to. I understand it is great - what makes it great are the people in it

Marin is a great shop. Good people. And a nice breakfast joint up the block. smile.gif I always try and mail order my parts there, I know there are cheaper sources, and I know my parts orders won't make or break any business. But it can't hurt either.

OK, so trivia, who did turn down ownership of this board?

I feel as if I ought to raise my hand and ask permission to speak with this group..........

Y'know, as Russell already pointed out so beautifully, for a M/C'ing club/riding group--some of whom have known each other now for many years--I'm very impressed and amazed that it is still as open and welcoming of the newbies as it is. No one gets flamed for asking the same newbie questions (unless you come off like a pompous nitwit and then Ed will usually let you have it with both barrells--just don't feed him after midnight! eek.gifgrin.gif )

Everyone here can have something to contribute--even if it's your first bike, even if you don't ride long or fast or far, even if you can't spell well, even if you never went to school, even if you don't know what a screwdriver looks like--the "key to the kingdom" is a simple, thoughtful post from the heart. That will generally fling open the doors and lay out the welcome mat. The same spirit of welcome reigns at the gatherings--you may have to insert yourself into conversations between friends who haven't seen each other in a year, but you will rarely if ever be rebuffed. Every so often someone will level a critique here that "we're clique'ish", but I believe that's just the result of the familiarity of some who have been here awhile and the easy friendliness in general of the members. After many years of communing here on the DB many inside jokes have evolved that you might not get, but if you ask, it'll be explained and then you'll know. The more you participate, the better it gets. I remember when I was a newbie meeting members here and asking how long folks had been around on the Board and/or how long have you known Mr. "x" here? "Oh we just met yesterday!" eek.gif From the way they were carrying on it seemed to me that they were old friends! dopeslap.gif

Some might say it's boring, or their freedom to be as rude as they want to be is too restricted, but for those for whom the mission of the DB is a good fit, it is indeed a sanctuary of sanity in the World Wild Web. It is an "instant" family that supports each other--even if mostly only in a "virtual" way--but can even nurture each other in a way that is VERY uncommon nowadays.

I'll echo Jake's so eloquently phrased wintery sentiments: kudos to the "Snowball Maker", to the "Avalanche Stylist" (it's a Hollywierd thing, David! grin.gif ), to my esteemed collegues on the Mountain Search and Rescue Patrol (and Russell, too! blush.gif ) and a hearty "Come on in--the snow's fine!" to my fellow Ski Bunnies out there in Cyberspace! smile.gif

(Oh, and for those who'd like a real live sampling: two and a half weeks until we take the Longstreet to Death Valley!!! clap.gif )

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
Sometimes I wonder If I have an addiction to this forum.

Hear, hear! I know that I do! grin.gif

But I've enjoyed the friends that I have made, the money saved and then spent and on and on... thumbsup.gif

A damned fine place kept vibrant and interesting by damned fine people!

Now that I've been around awhile, I have to laugh at myself from time to time because I look back and wonder, "Did I really ask "those" questions?" And I did. And I still do. And the people around here who have the answers have been nothing but helpful, informative and gracious and respectful.

This may sound corny, but I can honestly say that this community was an important part of re-setting my life back on track. I had just come off a nasty, two-year divorce after a sixteen year marriage, I had just lost my job due to the company going under, and I had just found out that my father had cancer. I was acting like a lost puppy. I was a lost puppy.

Whe one of my close friends here in Indy suggested that I get back into motorcycling, I did. But the people I rode with at that time didn't have the patience or the interest in teaching me the things I really needed to know. I almost gave up riding, even though I had just bought my very first new BMW.

It was on a Saturday while I was at Revard BMW in Indy when I met a guy and his wife who were on a trip from Montana, who asked me if I had "been" to BMWRT.com. They told me that even though I was riding an 1150GS at the time, BMWRT.com would be an incredible resource for me and my problems and questions about motorcycling, and that I should try this place out before I give up something that I clearly loved.

What I found was an amazing source of knowledge, compassion and patience. What I found was an amazing amount of fun and wit and intelligence. What I found was a new perspective on, not only motorcycling, but on life. What I found was friendship.

I've had the pleasure and opportunity to meet some incredible people here, and many of them have become some of my closest friends.

It's funny how things can turn out. thumbsup.gif

Paul was the first person I met. I visited Bob's BMW while waiting for my 1100RT. Next I met Kathy and Laney when they passed thru Atlanta on their excellent adventure. After reading their many posts, I decided to ride to Gunny to meet Gleno and Wurty. Bumped into David and pals in a gas station in kansas. Arrived at the hotel in gunny and a guy rides up, puts out his hand and says...hi I'm Denny. I get off the bike and mention that I have some 1150gs mirrors to install. A guy named Jake pulls up and installs the right while I do the left. Go to the campground and find Gleno and Wurty and Dick and old rider and bigmak and bunch of others.

At Torrey I meet Eric and Eric and a bunch more. Gleno's birthday party in kali, met Les and Jamie and Steve and Jen and a bunch more.

Forget where I met Howard but he named me. dopeslap.gif

How luck can a guy get? All great friends now! thumbsup.gif

I ride around the country just to see all of you. grin.gif

This site is actually starting to get me in trouble with the wife dopeslap.gifgrin.gif

to much time spent here she says dopeslap.gif not enough for me grin.gif

This site is the best thing online as far as I'm concerned, and my bike agrees thumbsup.gif

This site is actually starting to get me in trouble with the wife dopeslap.gifgrin.gif

to much time spent here she says dopeslap.gif not enough for me grin.gif

Well . . . the SOLUTION to that problem is: bring her to a gathering!! clap.gif

It worked for me! Leslie didn't understand my serious addiction early on: "What the heck are you laughing about, now?" So after chickening out on Gleno's TechDaze (since I hadn't meet anyone yet and didn't have the bike they were all going to be working on) and then kicking myself afterwards when I heard all the stories and saw the amazing pictures, I told her I wanted to go to the UnRally in Colorado. "Why would I/you/we want to go to an RT rally? We don't even have an RT yet!" confused.gif

Yep--that's how it starts. The first one's free just to get you hooked and then once the Sock Monkey's on your back, there's no escape!! Buwahahahahaha!! grin.gif

I'm reading "snowball effect" all through this topic.

I hooked up with Carys RT Page in late 99. I made the Pied Piper Run.

Russell read the Pied Piper stories. He made Tech Daze at my place.

Jamie read Tech Daze at my place. He made Gunnison numero uno.

Etc, etc....and all the miraculous friendships built in between.

ad infinitum.... thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Oh yes, there were the "Daniel Days". grin.gifgrin.gif

I joined because the message board came to me at the Redmond Rally in '01. My uncle, George Brown rode to the rally, stayed at my house and got me addicted in no time. You old timers may remember my Sportster at the Redmond BBQ. I'll never forget test riding that Pacific blue K12, and now I own one.

Now I've learned a lot about riding and whiskey and never mixing the two. My best friends are on this board, and I appreciate the work that's gone into it.

I've been on this board daily since around June of '00, when I was researching the R1100RT to see if I should buy one. I bought mine on June 23rd of 2000, and it's been a great bike to own. I formally joined this forum around July of 2000.

Best place on the 'net if you ask me. I can't imagine a day when I'm on hanging out here. thumbsup.gif

OK, so trivia, who did turn down ownership of this board?

Daniel. smirk.gif

God will get you for that one, David.

Actually, if memory serves, Cary bounced the ownership offer to ShortCut (being one of the early moderators). But he had a couple/three small children and a business to run. Then Cary asked me if I wanted it. I declined, although I can't recall if it was my workload or what.

Kris Besley, the last of the three moderators we had at that time, had probably already told Cary that he wouldn't be interested. So Cary asked me to recommend someone.

The first person I asked had, as did ShortCut, a growing family and very little spare time.

I didn't know David Baker, but I had read enough of his posts to know several things. He owned a consulting business and published an information resource. He worked from home mostly, but also traveled to client meetings and seminars. He was computer/IT savvy. There was a strength and brevity to his style. I suggested to Cary that he contact him. The rest is history.

a growing family and very little spare time.

Boy, do I know that feeling eek.gif

I wish I could streeeeetch more of my time to devote to riding, and the wonderful people of this site thumbsup.gifgrin.gif

Thanks to David, thanks to the mods, but most of all thanks to the community that makes this a great place to spend time. I especially like the fact that this board has a "ride well" forum - really very telling as to how we approach motorcycling. Only one time in the year or so I've been lurking/posting have I had any sort of negative contact with a moderator, and I attribute this to an isolated case of a moderator who hates me, but that's okay, it's only come to the surface once and in general, this is a wonferful place to hang out....

(Tear, dripping tear,)

man all i have to say after reading all these posts is,

Man, "I love you guys"

OK, enough of that,um cough, sputter, um.. here's a funny, on my way to work today, an RT passed me with a thumbs up. I waved him back and all i could think was Hey, where's your BMWST sticker?

that's how much I enjoy this site thumbsup.gif

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifgrin.gif

Only one time in the year or so I've been lurking/posting have I had any sort of negative contact with a moderator, and I attribute this to an isolated case of a moderator who hates me . . .

Gosh Bob!

I don't believe that any of the moderators here bear any hatred for any of the members. From time to time we may feel compelled to say something to a member about a post but don't forget that we're just volunteers doing our best to uphold the intention of the site.

I remember being chided by a moderator for one of my posts a while back. It happens and it can even sting a little. It's all a part of working to keep this a place where we all feel welcome to play, share and establish lasting friendships with a really wonderful and helpful group of people like you.

Yeeha! Stephen
Really interesting....I feel as if I ought to raise my hand and ask permission to speak with this group..........

Phil....Redbrick

Wow! Hope you weather through that pretty soon.

Glad it's not really that way, or I'd still be a Lurker! I really made a pest of myself the first year here. Took me a while to save the $$$ to get my RT and I asked more than my share of Noob questions. And that was back when my screen name was just my last name. Now I am somebody! blush.gif And have a real "handle". eek.gif

Hey Phil, notice the "famous" people here aren't shy about voicing their opinions? That's the hint... get famous... let her rip!

It works wonders to show up for one of the big events too. Make time for Gunnison this year and you'll never feel that way again.

thumbsup.gif

russell_bynum

Glad it's not really that way, or I'd still be a Lurker! I really made a pest of myself the first year here. Took me a while to save the $$$ to get my RT and I asked more than my share of Noob questions. And that was back when my screen name was just my last name. Now I am somebody! blush.gif And have a real "handle". eek.gif

Dude, you were awesome!! I loved all your excited newbie posts, and the pining for the new bike. When you finally brought that big red beast home and posted your now-infamous "YEEHAAAA", we were all Yeeehaaaing right there with you.

You know...that's the thing...everyone bands together. I remember after Tech Daze, a few months later, I attempted my 24k service on my own. For those who don't know, my mechanical skills were um...somewhat lacking at that point. My RT was one of the first into Glen's garage for Tech Daze and one of the last to leave, despite the fact that I only did a 6K service and a 0=0...and I had LOTS of help. Anyway, I picked away at the service an hour or two a night all week. I got gear oil all over the place. I took forever to adjust the valves. It took about three hours to do the TB synch because even with my big fan in front of the bike, I couldn't get it dialed in before the bike would hit 10-bars on the RID and I'd have to shut it down and let it cool off. Each day I posted a new tale of my progress and adventures from the previous evening. When I announced that I was doing the fuel filter change that night, there were all sorts of jokes. Fernando said something about staying up late looking for a big orange fireball from the Orange County area. In the end, I got the job done and the bike ran better than it ever had before. Everyone celebrated with me.

That's just how it is here.

As Tommy would say...Can you feel the love?

Fernando said something about staying up late looking for a big orange fireball from the Orange County area.

I did look in your direction that night. And I thought I saw it, too. But then I realized that it was just the regular 9PM fireworks show at Dizzyland. tongue.gif

Seriously, though, you're right. A lot of us were pulling for you to make it. Just like now when we're awaiting news that you've successfully completed your first bike wash. thumbsup.gif

Archived