IGNORED

RT gear

jsmith

First things first. I finally pulled the trigger on an 06 RT. Red (cause its faster), black engine spoiler, black seat, heated seat, cruise control, on-board computer with oil level gauge, white indicators, extra power outlet, tank bag and cylinder guards. A huge thanks to all the folks on this board for helping me get to this point. I would love to post some pics (I understand that its expected) but it won't role out of the Berlin factory until February, so I'll have to wait a bit for that. Now for the question. smile.gif I'm wondering what kind of gear would work best with the RT. Ideally, I would have one jacket for all three seasons. Waterproof so that I don't need a separate rain suit, and I can zip in a liner when its cold or an electric liner if its really cold. For pants, I think I would prefer to just wear jeans (i know, i know) with a waterproof/lined overpant for when its cold/wet. I've searched this forum (and others) and read suggestions for a variety of suits. Question is, for those of you that ride an RT, what do you think works best with this bike considering that it already provides excellent weather protection? As always, I appreciate the advice!

Jim

I've been wearing an Aerostitch for the last 15 years in all weather conditions from freezing rain to 115 degree desert heat. For me there is nothing better.

For max versatility you may also want to consider the BMW Santiago 2Pc suit. It's great in summer and fall.......If it gets wet or REEEEAAAALLLY cold add avest underneath; or wet , layer BMW's 2 pc rainsuit on top.

You will find the RT offers a lot of protection from wind, cold and wet. which also means it can be a bit warm in summer low speed riding. thumbsup.gif

The Aerostich is a great suit - but boringly practical.

If you want to wear jeans, check out BMW Black Denim (my son has the suit and loves it). As much protection as you could ever want from a jean-style trouser - loads of room for hip as well as knee armor and made of Kevlar-weave denim. For the overtrousers, BMW Klimakomfort Goretex.

For a TOTALLY Waterpoof Jacket, check out the BMW Streetguard 2. If you fancy the Santiago jacket which isn't waterproof, then go for the Klimacomfort Jacket rather than the dedicated inner liner.

There's plenty of other very good protective gear out there, but there is nothing like the BMW clothing to make me feel good as well.

I second the Santiago. 110 degress to 30 degress for me, no problem. I've had a Darien and Cycleport Kevlar (both), and they are now all gone.

I passed on the BMW liner for the Santiago. For rain, I wear an ANSI Class III (Hi Viz) raincoat over it. For cold/wind, I layer fleece and/or a windblock liner as needed.

Good Luck

I'm very happy with my First Gear Kili Air jacket - breathes well in warm weather, and I've worn it in a downpour (liner in) in the winter, stayed warm and dry. Sizes run true, plenty of pockets, plenty of room. About $260, or so. Combined with First Gear Air Overpants - same performance. The combo costs a lot less than the Aerostitch stuff - but then I'm a KLR guy as well as a beemer guy! cool.gif (gotta have a sense of humor) The First Gear stuff seems pretty well made, especially for the $$.

All the best,

Mike

Thanks for the suggestions. I've taken a look at the BMW gear, and it looks great...just need to get past the price I guess. As for the Aerostich. I hear great things, but since its only available on the net, I'm a little tentative to just order it and see if I like it. I really don't understand why they don't go to shows so people can see it, try it on and then go order it if they like it. Makes sense to me.

Jim

Don't let the web-only ordering set you off of Aerostich. They'll take care of you if you find that the size doesn't work or you need some alterations.

The Roadcrafter is a great one-piece that fits over your street clothes so you can roll it up & stuff it into a side case and not look like a biker in a goofy suit when you walk around the mall. Since it's on, if it rains, you're dry without having to stop in the rain and put on a rainsuit...or argue with yourself that it's only a quick shower and wait until you're totally soaked before stopping to put on the rain gear.

The hi-viz yellow will also definitely get attention and with a variety of armor options, you should be able to customize the fit & comfort for any riding you do.

While you're at it check out their boots. (Although I wear BMW boots now, I'll switch to Aerostich when they wear out.)

Jim

(Roadcrafter one-piece in Hi-Viz)

Jim, Rukka is available here in Canada, made in Finland it seems appropriate for our general climate. I bought the 2 piece in 2000 for my trip out west and have been using it ever since. Spent 30 days on the road watching my buddy do the 'totes dance' everytime it looked like rain while I waited patiently for him. Its the best 4 season suit I have used. Waterproof, breath-able, Gortex with removeable armor. I commute every day with it. The only time I had to shed it was in Las Vegas in July at 46.5 degrees C. Went to draggin jeans and windbreaker. It is quality gear.

Jim

Archived