IGNORED

Where's switched 12V on the RT?

garyj

I've had an '06 R1200RT for a week. Had an LT but knee problems forced me to a lighter bike. I'm liking this ride!

I installed Motolights today. I need switched 12V in the front of the bike. Where can I find it? I could start hunting around with a voltmeter, but this is one of the main reasons I enjoy forums so much.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I would just tap off the lead to the high beam - it's switched by the high beam toggle on the handlebars. You'll find it behind the round cap directly behind the high beam bulb - removing the dash makes it a lot easier to access.

For lights, to run a relay, the "parking light" the small bulb in the headlamp ass'y is switched also. And it is load delayed at bike start which is also nice for added lights.

I tapped into the LH "parking" light on my R12RT which is on with the key. I use this to powerup a fuse box that I use for a power source for other items.

You could also find the connection for the GPS.

There is an OEM connection for the GPS on the RT? Anyone have details?

As for a switched source, I'm using the power socket.. It's switched and load controled by the Canbus.. I tapped into the front 12v socket..

Thanks for all the info. I found 12V switched on the plug just under the tach. The small gray wire at the bottom side of the plug works fine. It's easy to get to. Now I'm trying to get the Kisan tailBlazer to work. Their recommended one (100MD-M) makes the "tail light out" warning stay on all the time. Anyone solved this one?

Now I'm trying to get the Kisan tailBlazer to work. Their recommended one (100MD-M) makes the "tail light out" warning stay on all the time. Anyone solved this one?
Make sure you solder the connections. Too much resistance introduced by crimp type connectors can cause this.
Now I'm trying to get the Kisan tailBlazer to work. Their recommended one (100MD-M) makes the "tail light out" warning stay on all the time. Anyone solved this one?
Make sure you solder the connections. Too much resistance introduced by crimp type connectors can cause this.

I did that. Kisan says that they expected to see 6.8 volts with brakes not applied. It was 3.4 volts. They are thinking things over and are going to send me a modified unit or a refund. I'll report the outcome when it happens.

Kisan told me today they have made a unit that should work - designed for the lower voltage. I will be trying it when it arrives in a week or so. I'll report here how it does.

Interesting. Because I have the exact same model# on my R1200GS, and it is fine. Wonder what would make the RT version of the light bulb out monitoring so different?

Keep us posted.

Interesting. Because I have the exact same model# on my R1200GS, and it is fine. Wonder what would make the RT version of the light bulb out monitoring so different? Keep us posted.

This was the first 3.4 volt they had seen. I believe it's on some '06 BMW models.

The unused GPS power take off that is already in the loom was mentioned earlier in this thread - is it the connector block shown in the attached photo (looking upwards from the front wheel)?

Thanks

Richard

619892-gpspower.jpg.34fd6f2bd8e34acbfbc9a0bc7faefa1b.jpg

My 05 RT also has about 3 volts at the taillight. I wonder if Hyperlights will work? They are LED and very small. Anyone tried them?

Just installed 32 LED hyperlites on my 05 RT..Works great!

However they had the wrong size connections..When I called them, they looked into the matter and called me back and told me they had been sold the wrong connections but that all I needed to do was spread the clips a little wider with a screw driver..I did as they suggested but the connection is less than ideal..

My 05 RT also has about 3 volts at the taillight. I wonder if Hyperlights will work? They are LED and very small. Anyone tried them?

Ron has a Hyperlite kit just for the 12RT. I just installed it a couple nights ago. Start to finish in less than 15 minutes. No issues, Works great as always!

Archived