IGNORED

Another Crazy Cager

Dave39

Here I was tooling up I-5 on the RT yesterday at about 70mph in the left lane north of Sacramento out by the airport. I passed a truck and noted that it was clear ahead in the right lane. There were cars behind me anxious to go real fast so I turned on my right turn signal (very visible with the Admore LEDs on my Givi case). I check the right mirror, all clear, turned head to make sure nobody coming up beside, and start over. I just enter the right lane and am easing over to left side. Suddenly, out of nowhere, a large black shape appears in my right peripheral. A pick-up truck zooms by me at 70++ in the same lane on the right side squeezing within inches of me. The driver sticks his arm out the window giving me the finger as he vanishes ahead passing all the cars ahead. He must have come roaring behind intending to pass on the right, and I had the audacity to be in his way. Be careful. There are unstable crazies out there running free.

Dave - how dare you hold up his ever important schedule? Your life means so little to his ability to get _____ one minute earlier and probably drink his beer. The nerve of you!!

Thanks for the reminder - cagers are not to be trusted. Glad you are okay.

Glad you're ok.

It is one of the reasons I avoid some limited access.

But, if you were going 70 in the left lane, too slow, and even though you were moving right and signalling, someone way back and closing faster might resort to the open right lanes to get ahead.

Not saying it was ok or behaviour of driver ok.

So it is something to add to scan process.

on my 03 KRS, 70 on the speedo is actually about 66 on the GPS and on my cars speedo as well. On an honda civic, (digital dash readout so you can see it, it is 65)

The left lanes here usually run between 72-82, If LE0 are around it will still be 70+ in a 65.

My concern thus is that you were in a spot where traffic was expecting to move quicker than you. Makes for a degree of road rage behind you. I am also sure you have been caught in one of those packs where the lane is blocked by a slower vehicle and then everyone closes in tight and starts experimenting with how best to use available lanes, tight spacing of vehicles, and weaving across lanes to get around the moving obstacle. That creates an unsafe place to be for all. There are many many times when I choose not to run that pace and will find a lane that is running about the speed I wish to be. If I then overtake another vehicle it is a pass to the left matching that lanes speed and then pull back in to the right and resume my previous spped. This will be done even if there is another vehicle a 100 yds ahead that I will over take perhaps in 20-40 sec. I will then do another pass as needed.

Then there are times when I am the one doing 75-80 and having to find patience with the ones up front who are to the left and doing 70 or even suddenly caught up in that pack building behind the slower vehicles. Not the most enjoyable riding.

In the end I think it is less about the speed that is showing on the speedo but running the safest with the traffic at hand.

All of this is just IMHO and will have lots of others that differ.

NCS

I passed a truck and noted that it was clear ahead in the right lane.

I like to use this recently passed vehicle as my shield to protect from being ran over from a speeder racing up.

I5 is one of those freeways with only two lanes in each direction. It is a major north/south arterial between Mexico and Canada. The #2 lane is perpetually clogged with big rigs that are governed to 62 mph.

That only leaves the #1 lane for normal driving..often in the 80 mph range. If you are doing 70 in the #1, you are a sitting duck and ripe for a #2 lane passer.

If you hit your signal, checked over your right shoulder, checked your mirrors and then begin a lane change, you are too slow and behind the curve. Glad you are ok, but get that lane change done quicker.

Two words: Situational awareness

Interesting responses. My speed of 70 was actually my GPS speed. Speed limit was 70 mph. All visible cars closing behind were about 1/4 - 1/2 mile back but closing (far above speed limit (where's enforcement?)). I had plenty of time to get around truck and was not blocking speeders. The PU was going even faster than the run-of-th-mill law breakers.

Paul Mihalka

My experience is that riding/driving AT the speed limit, specially in no. 1 lane of multilane highways, is dangerous and can provoke road rage. I remember a few years back I got two speeding tickets the same day, so to test I rode AT the limit on two lane country roads. I was passed on the double yellow by cars/pickups/minivans etc. So instead of slowing down I bought a radar detector.

Dave_zoom_zoom
My experience is that riding/driving AT the speed limit, specially in no. 1 lane of multilane highways, is dangerous and can provoke road rage. I remember a few years back I got two speeding tickets the same day, so to test I rode AT the limit on two lane country roads. I was passed on the double yellow by cars/pickups/minivans etc. So instead of slowing down I bought a radar detector.

+1

Pass in the left lane, THEN return to the right lane.Not "tooling" along in the left lane. For me, autobon speeds are good, even if they are not particularly legal.

Dave

Interesting responses. My speed of 70 was actually my GPS speed. Speed limit was 70 mph. All visible cars closing behind were about 1/4 - 1/2 mile back but closing (far above speed limit (where's enforcement?)). I had plenty of time to get around truck and was not blocking speeders. The PU was going even faster than the run-of-th-mill law breakers.

Ca law requires slower traffic to keep right, even if you are doing the speed limit.

No need to blame lack of enforcement for your close call. It's your responsibility to protect yourself, It is not the responsibility of the occasional CHP officer to protect you.

Certainly here in NC 70 is guaranteed to make you the slowest one in the left lane in most spots on interstates. Doesn't make anyone idiocy OK but I'd suggest adding 5 or getting right.

The fact that you almost got caught by surprise should be a warning to add checks. Got good mirrors??

To survive for long on a bike one needs to see speed limits, yellow lines and anything else pertaining to traffic laws as advisories, not restrictors of whatever choice you need to make to maintain space and visibility. Doesn't mean forget common sense and be stupid- just that laws and any other kind of rules exist to be broken in some circumstances. There is a limit to what kind of crap can come your way as long as your behavior is even half way reasonable...Here in NC it apparently takes 6-8 DWIs to get jail time, for example.Killing a rider while texting will only cost you a modest fine...

Archived