IGNORED

Great Video

Foot

russell_bynum

Hey, that's pretty cool! It's a bit faster than I'd like to go there, but what the hell...they seemed fairly smooth and in control. The dude on the Duc wasn't really hanging off very well. He was doing the typical squidly "Lower body off, upper body on" thing that so many guys do. He didn't seem as smooth as the other guy either.

But whatever...both of them were running decent lines, no unintentional crossings onto the wrong side of the road, etc.

Thanks for sharing!

Ok, ready to put my foot in my mouth here, but, if there hadn't been a speedometer showing, I would have put the speed at about 30MPH less than actual. The trees just weren't 100MPH trees to me. I feel embarassed to say this as these guys were ALL WAY better than me, so who am I to say. blush.gif

Russell, your feedback?

russell_bynum

The camera always does strange things to the speed. Sometimes it makes it look like you're going WAY faster, but most of the time it seems to slow things down.

Also, it's pretty common for sportbike guys to re-gear their bikes for better acceleration, and that'll throw the speedo off.

But...I know that road and those speeds are pretty quick, but definitely believable.

Edit:

For reference, here's some video from earlier this year on that same road.

David is riding my CBR600RR with the camera and I'm on my RT. We're going down East Grade Rd. (the video in the original post is going the opposite direction). One thing that I noticed...the road was in MUCH better shape in 2003 when these guys ran in that in was in 2005 when we did it.

Top part

Bottom part

The first vid looks like it's in slo-mo compared to the speedo readings. If the speedo's accurate, they're making good time to say the least. Very smooth, nice lines.

Russell, they didn't have to contend with the snow you guys had, but I'd have to say their lines were smoother. I'm guessing they know the road better.

And for those of you haven't been there, be advised that these videos show the _less_ twisty of the two roads up Mt. Palomar!

P.S. IMHO, everybody was following too closely. But the lens used may have exacerbated that impression.

You might like the vids, and think these guys are good, maybe in some respects. There is more to good riding than lines.

This vid, crazy canyon, makes me question the judgement of the videographer. Looks like the same bike. The vid makes the pass of the truck look very foolish, totally blind.

Russell, they didn't have to contend with the snow you guys had, but I'd have to say their lines were smoother. I'm guessing they know the road better.

For some reason I'm getting an error message when I try to unzip the original video file posted to start off the thread, so I haven't seen it. But I suspect you're right. All I remember is that:

a) This was the first time I'd ever been on that road.

b) This was the first time I'd ever been on that bike.

c) I was freezing my ass off at 30 degrees and no heated gear.

d) The snow/ice was everywhere.

So yeah, the lines look pretty bad in some places. Now give me a minute while I go find some excuses for other videos where I've been on my own bike on roads I know on a sunny day. Be right back--this might take awhile. But never fear--my ability to come up with excuses is boundless! tongue.gif

The third guy who cuts in between the first two about 2/3 of the way though isn't near as good as the first two. He pretty much sticks to one lane position and when he doesn't, he cuts inside way too soon. He's 'living on traction' a lot more than the other two. Plus the other two show how unnecessary the knee-down stuff he does is. He's showier, but better? I think not.

Still, it IS fun to watch!

And that's my 'keyboard quarterbacking' for today!

Edit:

For reference, here's some video from earlier this year on that same road.

David is riding my CBR600RR with the camera and I'm on my RT. We're going down East Grade Rd. (the video in the original post is going the opposite direction). One thing that I noticed...the road was in MUCH better shape in 2003 when these guys ran in that in was in 2005 when we did it.

Top part

Bottom part

Russell and David

ARE YOU CRAZY !!

IMHO twisties and snow just don't seem to go together well!

Alan

For some reason I'm getting an error message when I try to unzip the original video file posted to start off the thread, so I haven't seen it.

David

I could not get this to unzip on my mac but it worked fine on the PC.

Alan

russell_bynum

Russell and David

ARE YOU CRAZY !!

IMHO twisties and snow just don't seem to go together well!

LOL! Well, it sure wouldn't have been my first choice, either. smile.gif

But we were there and the snow was there, so what you gonna do? cool.gif

It actually wasn't too bad if you stayed in the wheel tracks. The first time around a corner with that stuff was interesting. I'm from Texas and I live in SoCal, so the whole concept of snow on the road is totally beyond my comprehension. I came around the corner, saw some white stuff and said "Self...that looks like snow"...then promptly rode right though it. The resulting slide put a permanent crease in the middle of my saddle. eek.gifdopeslap.gif

After that, we just stayed in the wheel tracks and it was fine. Plus, we were going downhilll, so we knew it would get better as we went.

The funniest thing was we ran into a couple on a sportbike up at the top of the hill. He was in decent moto gear and was obviously cold, but not too miserable. She was wearing a thin tank top with a sweatshirt over it and low-rise jeans. Somehow I think that was the last date for those two. eek.gif

This vid, crazy canyon

Same rider, same bike thumbsup.gif

BTW I'm the guy who makes the Ride Behind Vids and found this thread through my referrals page. Don't usually join a board just to post but seeing this short 'joke' video posted other than my home forum got me to sign in.

I'm used to my vids making their rounds around the net and always happy when i see Episode 10 still going strong but this particular video has never been posted on my website.. the only place i posted it was on Socalsportbilkes.info months ago.. where did YOU find it?

Thanks for Watching!!

This vid, crazy canyon

Same rider, same bike thumbsup.gif

BTW I'm the guy who makes the Ride Behind Vids and found this thread through my referrals page. Don't usually join a board just to post but seeing this short 'joke' video posted other than my home forum got me to sign in.

I'm used to my vids making their rounds around the net and always happy when i see Episode 10 still going strong but this particular video has never been posted on my website.. the only place i posted it was on Socalsportbilkes.info months ago.. where did YOU find it?

Thanks for Watching!!

I was doing a search for another video a friend sent me that was corrupt. I did a web search and hit on the Ducati board and found your video 16 there. I went to your site and found the rest.

I was just remaking on the board how smooth the lead rider was in episode 10 video.

Alan

the only place i posted it was on Socalsportbilkes.info months ago.. where did YOU find it?

I found your video here.

Index

Just took the end off the other link and watched all of them! Thanx, its fun to see when I can't get out.

Welcome aboard anyway, even if its for one post.

P.S. I realize that videos are deceiving, thats why I said the video made it look like.... Lots of cues missing in a videos narrow view.

Archived