IGNORED

Un2 Tech-Daze

Jake

Tech-Daze Titans:

Chime in here with your ideas and planning for the Tech-Daze. My early thoughts regarding the time-slot would be to run it on Wednesday, right after the morning announcements. That would leave a day prior for people to get to know each other, and a day after to marvel at the information you just gave them. Doing it over multiple days would infringe on your time there, so I'm thinking one time slot would be better for everyone's planning. Your call.

To repeat what's available at the Iron Horse, there is a small Harley-type shop (1 car garage small) in a separate building behind the ahem, resort. There is a mechanic there who is right friendly, and offers as much or as little support as we want. He will accept drop-shop orders for everything that we need. If I recall correctly, the shop has a tire changer, a lift, and compressed air. Also, the excellent Bentonville BMW shop is 30 miles away.

I'm not at all proposing that you offer to support work on 100 RTs, or even 10 - again that's your call. You tell us what you're thinking, what you need, who you need, and we'll find a way to get it for you.

Plant a seed, spread the love.

Jake said:

Plant a seed, spread the love.

Uh, Jake: the last time I did that I wound up married for 15 years.

Pilgrim crazy.gif

Okay, let me take a stab here.

First, let me ask...What are our objectives for this tech daze?

I would guess one of our primary objectives is to teach. I would imagine this one is more important than servicing people's bikes. I think that people would (and we would rather attract the kind of people that would) be more interested in learning and less interested in getting a free servicing out of the deal. Also, with everyone riding from far away, if we are tearing apart people's bikes then there's the added risk of something potentially going wrong, which would really put them in a bind and really spoil their UnRally experience. Then we also have other things to worry about such as consumables, oil disposal, etc. etc. But I dunno, what do you guys think? Should we service bikes? If we do choose to service bikes, it should only be a couple at the most though, I'd say.

Wednesday sounds good for the tech day. That's good there's some kind of facility available for us.

What are our objectives? What do we want to teach these people? Can we describe our target audience? Are they beginners, advanced, or both?

Do we teach them the skills necessary for regular maintenance and repair, while advising they consult their dealer for big repairs, or do we teach them how to really dig in there? Do we focus on "shade tree" mechanics, "roadside" repair, giving them the "minimalist's" repair guide to using the basic tools on your bike, or do we cover how to do things with all the luxuries of a well-equipped shop? Do we cover concepts/theory, or keep it to practical/procedural hands-on, or both? Do we cover what tools to carry vs. what to have in the shop? Do we cover accessory installation?

Whew, okay, someone else's turn now. smile.gif

Sean,

Man you wore me out with your questions. You were in the full Data mode there for a minute. ooo.gif Are you and Shelly coming???? Say yes. As far as the Tech Daze, I think you keep it simple, but I don't know squat about it.

Sean -

Thanks for taking the first stab, you're clearly the right man for the job - stream on!

There has been some slight confusion of whether you boys should e-mail, talk, or post the planning info. I just got off the phone with Tom, and we agreed that posting here is probably best. That being said, don't hesitate to pick up the phone when there is something private to be discussed, or a complicated decision to be made. The rest of the planning members with access to this thread will stay out of your way. Too many cooks, that kind of thing.

Tom will soon chime in with what we discussed, but it is agreed that teaching in a lecture format will likely work best given the numbers of attendees, and varied experience level. Nothing beats hands on, so if you want to follow the lecture by practicing what you just preached, maybe each of you could lead a hand's-on demo with smaller groups and tear into a bike to point things out. "This is a throttle body. That is the brass screw. Oooh, that's a dirty one, see....?"

Keep it simple, and with broad appeal. Lecture, followed by hands on, give them the manual, then cut 'em loose to DIY on another day. Changing oil on 20 bikes is ok in Gleno's garage, but probably not in the middle of the Ozarks. A chance to pick your brains in one place at one time seems like the E-ticket to me.

I'm going to sched it for Wednesday starting first thing in the morning so people can plan to join in, then cut out as they wish. If you guys want to go all day, it's yours. If you want us to put the manual on-line in a PDF format, we'll find a way to do that too. If you want sarsaparilla and Geisha girls, we'll just have to get creative. smirk.gif

If you want sarsaparilla and Geisha girls, we'll just have to get creative.

Ok, sounds good, but can I get a Cabana Boy?

Ok, sounds good, but can I get a Cabana Boy?

And would you like me to set your towels on a lounge out by the pool again today, Ms. Butt? wink.gifsmirk.gifgrin.gif

Archived