IGNORED

Survey: Your 2011 R1200RT tires

na1g

What kind of tires did your new 2011 R12RT come with? (NOT a general wide-ranging tire thread, please)

FYI, mine came with Bridgestone 021s. Am I the only one?

pete

BT021's also. Changed them at 5,600 miles. Never liked them. PR3's now and liking them. 3,500 miles and they look like new.

Jeff

BT021 on mine. Just changed them for PR2's at 7800 miles. Front was in bad shape. Those tires really like the tar snakes. Glad they are gone.

Z6 for me. Got around 12K on both with rear looking much better than front at the end. Replaced with PR3 and like them much better. Have 3K on them and look almost like new.

Thanks for all the replies. The general consensus seems to be that A) many 2011 RTs came with B'stone BT021 tires, and B) they are "crap" (appropriate technical term used in a previous post). I'm at 7,000 miles and the front is shot, the rear has maybe 1,000 miles left. That is just pathetic. Bridgestone and BMW ought to be ashamed of themselves.

I note that Bridgestone lists the 021 as an "OE" sport-touring tire, but not the 023 which seems to get much better reviews. If you got Metzler Z6 tires on your new RT, count yourself lucky. I'll not be installing Bridgestones as replacements.

Again, thanx for the feedback folks!

pete

I replaced my last set of Z8's with PR3's. Honestly I can't tell the difference. The Michelins are good tires. I have more than 9k on them now and they're wearing just like the Z8's. :)

Conti Attack. Barely got 4500 miles out of them. Haven't done much better with Metz Z8. Trying PR3's this time around.

Got my 2012 RT the end of April. It has BT 021's. They seem to dislike tar-snakes more than the Metzlers I used on my 2000 R1100RT.

Bridgestone 021's on my 2012, built 4/12, delivered 5/12.

They're "ok" as OE tires, but I don't care for them much, particularly in the wet. They also feel like they are beginning to get a bit squirrely as they wear (about 4K on them now). I can hardly wait until they're worn enough to justify replacement with a pair of PR3's, which I really liked on my K16.

Mine came with the Z6's and they were badly cupped and toast at 5500 miles. Have nearly 7000 on PR3's (B rear) and are squared off and starting to cup but still sticking great in the twisties. I have about 1000 left on them and will replace with same. Total confidence in the tires and I have put them through lots of mountain twisties, heavy rain, and snow.

Metz Z6, got 9600 miles out of them and replaced with PR3's. Just got back from a 5500 mile trip and the PR3's were flawless but the back is starting to square off.

• 5 weeks later...

BT021 tyres on mine supplied and lasted 1682 miles ran at the BMW solo no passengers or panniers 32psi front and 36 psi rear. Contacted Bridgestone in the UK and asked if they have a problem with these tyres also contacted BMW UK with the same questions.

Tried another set of BT021 ran at the Bridgestone recomended tyre presures of 36 psi front and 42 psi rear with the result of the same tyre degrigation as with the first set and lasted 1751 miles. So 2 sets of BT021 tyres in 3433 miles.............. NEVER WILL I USE BRIDGESTONE BT021 TYRES ON A RT EVER AGAIN now running on Metzler Z8 and have 1500 miles on them already and looking good.

Alan

BT021 on mine. Just changed them for PR2's at 7800 miles. Front was in bad shape. Those tires really like the tar snakes. Glad they are gone.

I've got the BT021 on mine as well, and the tar snake thing is freaking frightening! I thought I was going down for sure the other day when the front let go on one. I was as surprised as everyone else when it finally grabbed again. I've got 4000 on them now and I think that's going to be enough. I'm probably going to go with the PR3's next. These are really just awful tires!

Wow! Hearing the Tar Snakes issue makes me want to change mine out at 1300 miles. I have put 1300 miles on the new RT and haven't experienced that issue yet and really don't care to. I will now find myself second guessing my tires all the time and I am one that really likes to trust my tires.

Jason

As mentioned above, my 2011 R1200RT came with the BT021 tires. With about 500 miles on the motorcycle, I was riding in moderate rain, and had the rear tire slide way out on me. I was able to keep the bike upright, but I was never comfortable with the tires after that point. At 500 miles, I didn't have enough miles on the tires to know how easy they slide around. From 500 miles until I replaced them, I noticed them sliding around very often. Definitely my least favorite tire that I've ridden on, without a doubt.

Today I went our and intentionally searched out tar snakes with my Battlax BT021's. It was about 68 degrees most of the day and I didn't think that they reacted that poorly on the tar snakes. Maybe warmer temps and cold will be worse si I will try them again then. I had my bike at the dealer getting the BMW Nav IV installed and almost told them to throw on the Pilot 3's. If someone would have offered me $100 for the Battlax's with 1300 miles on them I would have done it. I will also be running my bike at a track day on Monday and curious as to how the Battlax's will do there too.

Jason

I can't really complain about the 021 tires lasting, they have plenty of tread left on them. The front is just starting to show that squaring off that happens, but at 4800 I guess that's to be expected. I'm going to change them both when I have the 6000 mile service performed in a month or so.

Good luck on the track, let us know how they do out there.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2012 R1200RT. I'm using my favorite Michelin Pilot Road 2.

This must be my 7th set, including my old 2007 R 1200 RT.

Great in the mountains. Rain has been no problem, and I've been in some heavy rain. Mileage: most is 12000, but they were not fun to ride.

At present they have 9800 on them. There's still tread left.

• 1 month later...

Metzeler Z6's. I got approx: 12,000 mi out of em. I have no idea what to get. I hear its now Metzeler Z8's? I guess thats the upgrade to the 6's? I also hear good things about Michelin RP3's. Any users care to steer me in the best direction? 2011 RT.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING DAY everybody!!

I ran a set of Metzler Z8s; got 12K on rear and 20K on front. Just had a pair of Michelin Pilot Road 3 mounted; haven't had them long enough to comment. More expensive, so hope they will perform better (no complaints with Metzler, just wanted to try a different brand).

• 2 weeks later...

I was in my local dealer last week, & the topic of OE tyres came up. A quick check showed of the 7 or 8 road bikes ( RT & 1200R) on the showroom floor, all had BT021. I absolutely loath them, but I guess BMW buy them at the right price.

On my 10 RT I had the Conti Road Attacks, which were OKish, I got just over 8,000kms out of them (about 5K miles) The dealer offered me the Pirelli Angel ST's which have about 4,000kms on now. They seem OK as well but not as good in the wet as I had hoped for.

I tried the Conti Road Attack II's on my R1200ST before I sold it was very happy with those wet or dry.

Teddy

I really hate to sound dumb, but... What in the world are Tar Snakes? At my advanced age and after 48 years of riding and owning dozens of bikes, I have never heard the term. Would someone kindly enlighten me?

Thanks in advance,

John

Asphalt crack filler that can be slippery in some conditions, usually when wet or hot. I was never conscious of a problem with them in 40 years of riding until I encountered the "tar snake" term in a forum. Now they seem to be attacking me on a regular basis.

mn Twin,

Okay. Now I am with the program. A lots more than a thousand words there. Thank you.

It is odd though, the only thing I have ever heard this referred to is seam sealant or crack sealer. But I bet I will be similar to Larry when I start riding in the Spring; they will be popping up everywhere and I will remember this thread.

Thanks guys. It is appreciated.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Considering that most seemed to dislike the oem Bridestone BT-021 and my own experiece with the predecessor BT-020 whichwas far and away the worst bike tire I've used in modern times, one has to wonder how long Bridgestone will keep supplying this junk that does nothing useful for their reputation. They're the tire equivalent of the old Ford Tempo one used to see only as rental junk.

I automatically ruled out any and all Bridgestone tires after my experiences with the BT-020 and others with their top of the line GT tires for cages, which are too heavy and have an odd, excessively long footprint that doesn't help handling. Many of the bike tires problems are attributable to two simple design screwups- a poor choice for tread pattern that creates tramlining, and a wrong rubber compound that has almost no grip in the cold and wet.

Can't say I'm a big fan of the oem Metz but its a big step up from the BT's...

Racer, it's hard to believe many of us who got our brand new BMWs with the B'stone 021s would replace them when worn with Bridgestones. I sure didn't. And when the original Bridgestone Dueller tires (noisy, hard-riding, poor wet traction) on my Honda CR-V wore out, I didn't put new Bridgestones on that either. You're right, it "does nothing useful for their reputation" to provide that junk to the manufacturers. I'm sure Bridgestone makes money on the large volume sold, I'm sure BMW gets the tires for cheap money, and the tires provided on a new motorcycle are probably not a major factor in its purchase. But I would re-think buying a new bike that sits on B'stone 021s. And of course, it seems to make sense for a German company to use German tires anyway.

Oh well, just my 2-cents.

pete

Archived