IGNORED

Electrical query

Delboy

Hi guys ,on my 99 1100rt the low fuel warning light has stopped working,it was fine up to the last service when the dealer changed the fuel filter,i`ve checked the bulb with a multimeter and it tests ok.(the dealer suggests this is the problem)Is there anything the dealer could have left unplugged when they changed the filter?Is there a simple bulb test like bridging a couple of the relay terminals to prove the bulb is ok.I`m asking so the dealer doesn`t charge me lots of cash to repair their mistake frown.gif

A SIMPLE test is what i need.

Merry Christmas to you all,Del

Hi guys ,on my 99 1100rt the low fuel warning light has stopped working,it was fine up to the last service when the dealer changed the fuel filter,i`ve checked the bulb with a multimeter and it tests ok.(the dealer suggests this is the problem)Is there anything the dealer could have left unplugged when they changed the filter?Is there a simple bulb test like bridging a couple of the relay terminals to prove the bulb is ok.I`m asking so the dealer doesn`t charge me lots of cash to repair their mistake frown.gif

A SIMPLE test is what i need.

Merry Christmas to you all,Del

The low fuel light is driven by the float attached to the same plate as the fuel filter and is easilly damaged when withdrawing/inserting the assembly. The fuel guage is driven by a seperate sensor, so a stuck/broken float assembly will not stop the guage working. Sounds to me like the dealer broke it, but doesn't want to stump up the workshop time and parts costs of fixing it.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

Thanks Andy,thats my thinking exactly but i`m wondering how to prove that to him,if i can show him there is nothing wrong with the bulb then the labour is covered under warrenty(the blasted bulb isn`t)and i think he will charge me to change it so recovering his costs on the filter assembly,hence the simple test.

Regards Del

There is an electrical connector to the bottom of the tank, it would be worth checking the security of this. I don't have any wiring diagrams or piccys so I can't help with a more specific test.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

I would bet on the low fuel light relay in the fuse box.I'm at work and have no info here,but maybe someone will chime in with the exact location.You should be able to pull the relay and jumper it to check the bulb circuit,but will probably need a wiring diagram to get the correct pins to jumper.

What Andy said. This was almost certianly caused by the filter change. Either they damaged the sensor float arm (or the sensor plate itself) or they miss-routed the fuel filter hoses (common mistake) and they are now interfering with the float arm.

Of course proving it is anouther matter. I can't imagine though that there is not a shop in the world that hasn't made this mistake at one time or the other and unless the service manager just started yesterday, he knows this.

Archived