IGNORED

UNrally XI Paved Routes

OoPEZoO

OK, boys and girls........here, for your downloading enjoyment.....are 9, YES NINE! paved routes for you to play with while visiting the wonderful state of Colorado.

If you want paper versions, you MUST download and print them out yourself. There will NOT be pre-printed packets handed out at the UN

Here are the .GDB routes for uploading to your GPS (zip file)

Here are the written directions for the routes if you prefer (PDF file)

Normal disclaimer: Trust other peoples routes as far as you can throw them, and make sure to recalculate them in Mapsource. We did our best to get them right, but map version variations and mistakes can happen. To recalculate with mininmal effect to the routes. Set all of your route preference avoidances to off and the slider bar for road preferences in the middle setting. Then recalculate each route and watch the mileage. If it changes more than a mile or two after recalculation, then something significantly changed and you might want to "undo" and investigate. Best of luck, and see you in Salida.

PS. We also have big bike (GS) routes and a handful of small dual sport bike routes as well, but they will be delivered via email because we don't want to make them available for public download. If you would like any of the offroad routes, please PM me with your email address and I will send them to you.

And just for fun. Here is an overview pic of all the routes at once.

Routes.png

Yeah, I think that should keep ya'll busy for a few days

If you want paper versions, you MUST download and print them out yourself. There will NOT be pre-printed packets handed out at the UN

Thanks, Keith, for all the work you've done to make the UN a successful one. I'd like to reiterate that those attendees wanting a paper version should review the files and print what they want. WE WILL NOT HAVE PAPER COPIES AT THE RALLY!

Thank Bill (RoadScholar) for peppering my inbox with 22 unique and very well thought out routes. I loaded about half of them into Google Earth and let it roll. I think we are in for some VERY special treats here.

I just cleaned them up, retraced them, broke them down to managable directions, calculated the mileage, transcribed them into an Excel sheet, added route pics, converted them into PDF form, uploaded them to my dropbox account, and made them available to the masses........in less than a week. No sweat, sleep is way over rated :rofl:

Seriously though......glad to help :thumbsup:

markgoodrich
OK, boys and girls........here, for your downloading enjoyment.....are 9, YES NINE! paved routes for you to play with while visiting the wonderful state of Colorado.

Here are the .GDB routes for uploading to your GPS (zip file)

Here are the written directions for the routes if you prefer (PDF file)

Normal disclaimer: Trust other peoples routes as far as you can throw them, and make sure to recalculate them in Mapsource. We did our best to get them right, but map version variations and mistakes can happen. To recalculate with mininmal effect to the routes. Set all of your route preference avoidances to off and the slider bar for road preferences in the middle setting. Then recalculate each route and watch the mileage. If it changes more than a mile or two after recalculation, then something significantly changed and you might want to "undo" and investigate. Best of luck, and see you in Salida.

PS. We also have big bike (GS) routes and a handful of small dual sport bike routes as well, but they will be delivered via email because we don't want to make them available for public download. If you would like any of the offroad routes, please PM me with your email address and I will send them to you.

THANKS!!!!!!!

My compliments and Thanks to Keith and whoever else was involved in putting that together. Very well done. :thumbsup:

markgoodrich

Duhh...When I went to load them into my Garmin (one at a time, I couldn't figure out how to do all at once) each subsequent route overwrote the previous one, because of the autoname feature in the GPS. I ended up manually naming them Rt 1, 1a, etc, but Keith's helpful list of roads and passes didn't transfer. They all say 'Gateway Inn Suit'. I can prolly live with this but surely this is operator error?

Thanks for the routes. Very handy, and I know how much work this tool.

One question... the route called Gateway to E Hwy 50 ... East Rainbow, etc... are you sure this is paved?

Google search leads me to Wikipedia and they say its "mostly paved" except for the gravel... over one of the passes. Question is... has it been ridden lately? My passenger and I have some experience on gravel roads but I don't consider it all that much fun.

roadscholar

Hopz, what is the route no. and instruction no.? The only gravel I know of not mentioned is part of Guanella pass, about 1 mile, route 2, left on cr62.

Looking at the section from Gunnison north and north east to Buena Vista.That would be 209 and 306. The Wikipedia reference was to Cr 209.

Thinking the 309 part is paved, but not sure so confirmation here would be good.

roadscholar

Ah yes, route 8, instruction 8, cr209 is unpaved from Taylor Res. To top of Cottonwood Pass, easy to ride and hard-packed. Mentioned in disclaimer in heading, noticeably I thought. :grin: Take quick look at Keith's written instructions.

WOW! actual Instructions... but only for those who read them... what a gip... Thanks for the directions... probably not for us but a cool route anyway.

Duhh...When I went to load them into my Garmin (one at a time, I couldn't figure out how to do all at once) each subsequent route overwrote the previous one, because of the autoname feature in the GPS. I ended up manually naming them Rt 1, 1a, etc, but Keith's helpful list of roads and passes didn't transfer. They all say 'Gateway Inn Suit'. I can prolly live with this but surely this is operator error?

Yup.....completely screwed the pooch on this one. I should have went into the route files and individually renamed them as you did. Instead, Mapsource tried to name most of the routes the same (because the start and end points are pretty much the same place). Like I said......trust them as far as you can throw them :grin:

I mean.....you trust a guy holding a rubber chicken right?

Archived