IGNORED

Motolights for conspicuity

Lawman

In my opinion....the amber lights will stand out the most for daytime riding. I'll try to attach a couple pics.

I added lights last springs and chose the clear 55watt lamps because I also wanted more light at night.

616010-76070-M-1.jpg.84f34e1765874b0ccb9278f0031fec4e.jpg

Billy,

The ambers will definately be more noticeable because they are so different.

For conspicuity, wattage actually works in reverse for you. The brighter they are, the more they mask (hide) the bike behind them. I use 20w clear bulbs in mine and they are plenty visible, but not overbearing. The key is the triangle light pattern which attracts the other driver's eyes to see you.

You want them to think, "What the hell is that? Oh, it's a motorcycle."

russell_bynum
I'm planning to put a set of Motolights on my R1200RT. Which bulb is most conspicuous during daytime?.. (35 watt, 55 watt or amber 35 watt)

Motolights are a great choice for conspicuity, regardless of what bulbs you use.

That said, the amber bulbs are considerably more conspicuous than the white bulbs.

I run Motorlights to see with. As for conspicuity, they are no guarantee. I know they got me a ticket in Idaho in 98. I was in the middle of nowhere on a Early Sunday morn. When I rounded a curve, there he was and quick drew me. He had noticed the lights way off and was waitng. Now, the lady that hit me head on said she didn't even know I was there. So much for her seeing the lighted triangle!

Be a little careful with the amber lights - in some states they are illegal in front. Just check your local laws, if you are just passing through some place then you probably won’t have any problems.

Be a little careful with the amber lights - in some states they are illegal in front. Just check your local laws, if you are just passing through some place then you probably won’t have any problems.

Amber lights are the norm for forward facing lighting. Amber running lights in the rear (illuminated turn signals) are illegal in most states. As the Wisconsin Trooper explained to me at 2AM: "People get confused seeing amber lights in front of them and think a vehicle is coming at them." I got an equipment warning, never returned to WI since.

Another vote for the amber 55 watt motolights...virtually all who saw them on my K-bike commented about how distinctive they are... thumbsup.gif They don't provide as much forward driving output as PIAAs, but the safety difference in traffic in quite noticeable.

Save your money. At night cagers never look for a biker, they look for the headlight format of cars or trucks. If you are ahead of the traffic you are "invisble" to the opposing traffic with all those lights behind you. On the highway a deer will be hypnotized by all those lights and freeze him on his tracks. Too dark? use your high beam when necessary.

I turn my "fog" lamps for more conspicuity at night.

Both the long range ticket and the headon collision were in broad daylight with Motolights and 80/100 headlight on. Speed cop saw me, cage driver didn't!

Or you can go overkill like I always do! grin.gif

12GS-all-lights---HB.jpg

You will be seen, though they might think you are an alien spacecraft! dopeslap.gif

Jim cool.gif

Why am I hearing C G A F F C over and over?? wink.gif

This is a little off course from your post but concerns Moto Lights mounting and prices. I purchased a pair of brushed lights today from a BMW dealer. I was told the current price is $350.US. Was also told that they contained 50 watt bulbs. The instructions in the box indicate 35 watts. Although they mount to the calipers the instructions show strap mounts. That seems a bit confusing. Did I get ripped? Last question is saftey related. If I were designing a mount I would want the mounting stub to fit inside the fork to caliper mounting bolt recess. My thought is that maybe the mounting boss on the 05RT is somewhat smaller than previous models. Does the 05 use a modified mount? I shall wait for advice before I finish the install. confused.gif Thanks in advance. Leon 05RT

This is a little off course from your post but concerns Moto Lights mounting and prices. I purchased a pair of brushed lights today from a BMW dealer. I was told the current price is $350.US. Was also told that they contained 50 watt bulbs. The instructions in the box indicate 35 watts. Although they mount to the calipers the instructions show strap mounts. That seems a bit confusing. Did I get ripped? Last question is saftey related. If I were designing a mount I would want the mounting stub to fit inside the fork to caliper mounting bolt recess. My thought is that maybe the mounting boss on the 05RT is somewhat smaller than previous models. Does the 05 use a modified mount? I shall wait for advice before I finish the install. confused.gif Thanks in advance. Leon 05RT

I don't know the specifics for your 05RT, but the caliper mount hardware is the update from the original strap mount system. There were some problems with some of the strap mounts failing. Feel free to contact Rob or Tina at Motolites if you have questions, they are good folks and stand 100% behind their product.

Thanks Bob, I contacted Tina at Motolights and they are indeed concerned about customer satisfaction. The statement about being shipped with 50 watt bulbs is false,the part about not warranting 50 watters is also not factual. The increase in price happened about 3 years ago with the bracket change to caliper mt. The bracket part# for an 05RT is 8-660 not 8-695. In CNC talk that is a thirty five thousand reduction in stub stalk diameter. So much for buying from a dealer. At no charge to me the new brackets and 50 watt bulbs are in the mail (over night). you want Motolights? Buy direct. thumbsup.gif Leon 05 RT

You're right! Thanks..I had an appt. with my dealer to have them install the Motolights they had in store..I called them and sure enough they had the wrong bracket. I called Tina and she confirmed what was said here..I ordered from her and will get the correct brackets and the bulbs I want..One more hoorah for the benefits of this board clap.gifthumbsup.gif

I bought my lights directly from Motolight with the 50W yellow bulbs. (I take exception to those who call them amber. They are really yellow. Yellow traffic lights are amber, but I digress.)

They really do enhance conspicuity. I have seen people do a double take when they are about to pull out in front of me, or turn left in front of me. They are no substitute for extreme awareness and caution, but they really do increase your conspicuity. My riding buddies have also commented on how well they can see my bike.

They also fill in nicely around my 90/100W headlight, so they also allow me to see better.

I'm planning to put a set of Motolights on my R1200RT. Which bulb is most conspicuous during daytime?.. (35 watt, 55 watt or amber 35 watt)

I think just having them at all you'll be far more conspicuous for daytime driving. I've had motolights since buying my GT in 03 and have just finished moving them to the 05 RT I just bought. After reading the FAQ on the Motolight sight, I learned that they use a very common MR16 bulb, which is widely used in track lighting systems and other household applications. They also mentioned that their harness is capable of handling up to 75 watts. Guess what... found some 12V, 75 watt, 24 degree beam MR-16 bulbs at a lighting store on EBAY and put them in to upgrade from my 35 watt stock motolights. And the best part... the bulbs (including shipping) were about $1.50/each... try that with PIAAs! A buddy just replaced one of his PIAA bulbs for about $53. They look like a pair of mini suns now. Between those and the already powerful stock headlight system, I don't think anyone would be able to say they didn't see me coming (they may even feel the heat from all the lights!).

An inportant note from Motolight FAQ was that if you upgrade to 75 watt and used the clear lens protectors they cold, you'd need to remove the protectors as they would hold in too much heat and burn the bulbs out prematurely.

I put my motolights on an AUtoswitch so I can just flash the high beams a couple times to flip them on or off. The green LED to monitor the light status fit beautifully under the rubber gasket at the bottom of the computer so it almost looks factory without drilling any holes to place it (friction fit only).

IMHO motolights are great at they give a nice separation between the headlights and driving lights which I think makes you "appear bigger" to those drivers who are pondering pulling out in front of you. As a former EMT and law enforcement I'm a firm believer in anything that can make you safer on the road!

I think just having them at all you'll be far more conspicuous for daytime driving. I've had motolights since buying my GT in 03 and have just finished moving them to the 05 RT I just bought. After reading the FAQ on the Motolight sight, I learned that they use a very common MR16 bulb, which is widely used in track lighting systems and other household applications. They also mentioned that their harness is capable of handling up to 75 watts. Guess what... found some 12V, 75 watt, 24 degree beam MR-16 bulbs at a lighting store on EBAY and put them in to upgrade from my 35 watt stock motolights. And the best part... the bulbs (including shipping) were about $1.50/each... try that with PIAAs! A buddy just replaced one of his PIAA bulbs for about $53. They look like a pair of mini suns now. Between those and the already powerful stock headlight system, I don't think anyone would be able to say they didn't see me coming (they may even feel the heat from all the lights!).

An inportant note from Motolight FAQ was that if you upgrade to 75 watt and used the clear lens protectors they cold, you'd need to remove the protectors as they would hold in too much heat and burn the bulbs out prematurely.

I put my motolights on an AUtoswitch so I can just flash the high beams a couple times to flip them on or off. The green LED to monitor the light status fit beautifully under the rubber gasket at the bottom of the computer so it almost looks factory without drilling any holes to place it (friction fit only).

IMHO motolights are great at they give a nice separation between the headlights and driving lights which I think makes you "appear bigger" to those drivers who are pondering pulling out in front of you. As a former EMT and law enforcement I'm a firm believer in anything that can make you safer on the road!

I get my 75 watt 10 degree bulbs from here

http://www.bulbs.com/products/product.asp?page=products&class=633&keyword=googleMRs

The 10 degree pushes them down the road and the 75 watt surely gets their attention....day or night

russell_bynum

Between those and the already powerful stock headlight system, I don't think anyone would be able to say they didn't see me coming

Think again. I've had people pull out in front of me when I was running my PIAA 1100's (with 75W 10-degree MR-16 bulbs*) AND the big-ass 110W (each) PIAA 910's. I fully believe that if you could put wheels on the sun, I could drive it down the street and some ***hole would still pull out in front of me and claim they never saw me.

* It is possible to use MR-16 bulbs in the PIAA 1100's, but you have to do a bit of surgery. In a nutshell: Remove the old bulb from the lens. Attach the new bulb to the lens using some sort of high-temp adhesive (I used RTV). Note: I had to destroy the old bulb the get it apart from the lens.

• 2 months later...
Effervescent

So...I got 75watters a while back but then promptly had a motolight wiring short under the tank.

I pick it up from the dealer tomorrow morning. Can't wait for that extra 150watts of light!

-Eff

Effervescent

I am very happy with the 75 watt bulbs. Service adjusted the motolights for me. Aimed too high and toe'd in, BMW said.

I know motolight's site say no to protective films if you up the watts (they claim the added heat will shorten the length of the bulbs life) but I had rather thin (20mil) yellow lamin-X lying around and really really like having amber motolights on the yellow 1100S.

Let's see how long they last. thumbsup.gif

-Eff

Archived