IGNORED

Planning for my first UN - What should I not forget?

PhilipJCaputo

PhilipJCaputo

So I'm planning for my first UN. Tentative to leave the Los Angeles area next Saturday and stop in to visit a few friends in the northern part of CO before making my way to Salida on Tuesday. I don't have a route yet firmly established, but I'm going to try to do it avoiding freeway/interstate.

Is there anything that you wouldn't leave home without when heading off on a 2k mile round trip week long ride? I should have some room for some basic tools, but don't want to pack anything unnecessary.

Tire plug kit/device.

Air source, can of fix-a-flat, or air pump.

Somethin to listen to, IPhone, ZUMO/XM, book on tape, whatever.

Carry some extra water in case you have to wait for help.

An extra valve stem.

A couple different pair of gloves in case ya get em wet or blisters start forming. (the other set will change the contact point.)

Cell phone with a number to a board member who will have access to the web while you are traveling. We can't help ya unless we know ya need help.

Try to keep an extra smile in your tank bag cause no matter what there will be a time when ya wish you were in your car with A/C......and you will need to pull that smile out to help ya remember why you brought the bike.

Look forward to seeing ya.

Larry

I would put the tank bag in the "nice to have category." I usually carry water, my wallet, or my camera in the tank bag for easy access. A large tank bag can block airflow if you are short.

Credit card, cell phone, water, tire patch kit, tire pump, tire pressure gauge, good riding gear.

These aren't necessities, but can make the trip a lot more pleasant:

- Rain gear. You can get by with waterproof liners in your jacket and pants, but for a steady sustained rain, I like dedicated rain gear. And if it gets really cold (which can happen in the Colorado high country!) you can use it as another layer for warmth.

- If you are coming across some really hot terrain, you might consider a cooling vest.

- I usually carry a quart of oil and a funnel. Our RTs tend to use up oil, and I don't have to try to hunt down a place to buy something that is appropriate for a motorcycle.

Tank bag, necessity or nice-to-have?

When I am on the GS I don't use a tank bag. I use all the pockets in my gear.

I do use one on the KTM because ya don't have to remove it to fill up.

Paul Mihalka

Yeah, all you 21 century GPS guys don't need a tankbag. For me a tankbag with the map pocket on top is a must have.

Yeah, all you 21 century GPS guys don't need a tankbag. For me a tankbag with the map pocket on top is a must have.

Thanks Paul, I agree, it's just difficult to read without readers on...

Everything else others mentioned, esp. a cooling vest. The heat can beat you up. Maybe a Camelback. You might add some power bars, trail mix etc. If you belong to MOA you could carry an anonymous book, that might help. Zip ties, spare bulb(or two), basic tools with a few shorts of wire(just in case the FPC decides to take a break)and of course, some JB Weld! :wave:

PhilipJCaputo

Some good advice for sure... somethings I had thought about in the past, but wasn't on my list (jb weld, some wire, valve stem?, 2nd pair of gloves). I am a MOA member, and carry the anon book in the glove box. I'm also going to sign up for their discounted road-side service.

I'll make sure my wife can get logged in under my account if any SOS's need to be sent.

thanks!

You didn't say what kind of bike you'll be on (I ride a RT) but I'll add a few things here that I don't leave home without:

spare headlight bulb

spare alternator belt

spare oil level sight glass insert

a quart of whatever oil you use w/oil rag

flat tire repair kit w/mini-compressor

a set of tie-down straps in case you need a tow truck

a small set of tools that YOU feel confident using on your bike

The other respondents to your post all have good suggestions so I won't bother to expand on their offerings.

My reasons for tie down straps and tools are thus; you can't always trust a tow truck driver to have MC tie downs and you don't want them to have to lay it on its side. Yes, there are horror stories on this site of that very thing happening to a member. I always take a few extra tools with me, items I tend to use on my RT that aren't included in the BMW kit. I like to bring metric Torx head stuff and small wrenches and feeler gauges in case I have to do a raodside valve adjust. Overkill? No, because you never know when you'll need 'em!

I also bring a fresh quart of oil and some oils rags with me storing them in a large Zip Loc plastic bag. It's better to have these items and not need 'em instead of the other way around.

Aside from that remember to bring a credit card and you'll be fine. You can use the CC to buy beers and snacks for the nice people who responded to your thread. :grin:

CoarsegoldKid

Phillip I hope we get to meet at UN. I'm also leaving on July 21st. I've put 85K mostly touring miles on my RT. When I travel I always carry my tool pouch, the one that I use for all services I perform. I'll carry a GS911 but not a computer. Go figure. I might as well leave it at home. I have a spare FPC just in case. Light bulbs you can buy at any auto parts store. R1200RTs have three headlamps bulbs for built in insurance. Bring a small hand to replace them. My tire valve stems I replace with new every 35K miles or so. I don't carry spares. Tire puncture repair/pump kits are a wonderful insurance policy. I have a Slime tucked in the rear cowling area under the seat of the RT. It should have a valve core tool but if you need the valve stem call for a tow because it's a lot more involved. I've used the pump once in 7+ years and that was last month. Speaking of insurance policies I have the AAA Premium roadside assistance for stuff I can't handle.

Missouri Bob

a set of tie-down straps in case you need a tow truck

Thanks! I never thought of that. And I was going to suggest a bottle opener.

Bob

PhilipJCaputo
You didn't say what kind of bike you'll be on (I ride a RT)

I'm on an 09 RT, right around 28k miles.

Is there anything specifically to the UN that I should plan on? Don't really know what to be expecting (except I see there is a Wednesday ride planned)

So I'm planning for my first UN. Tentative to leave the Los Angeles area next Saturday and stop in to visit a few friends in the northern part of CO before making my way to Salida on Tuesday. I don't have a route yet firmly established, but I'm going to try to do it avoiding freeway/interstate.

Is there anything that you wouldn't leave home without when heading off on a 2k mile round trip week long ride? I should have some room for some basic tools, but don't want to pack anything unnecessary.

All you really need is your riding gear, a few dollars in your pocket, and a positive attitude! There isn't a lot of difference between a 20 mile trip and a 2k mile trip. ANYTHING can happen. It's how you deal with it that counts! If you listen to everyone, you'll be packing electric curlers ( I did)! :grin:

Here is one to remember... when you get here... there are no strangers. Introduce yourself if we do not beat you to it, say Howdy!

except for Kathy R and Richard T... if you see them they are very shy...

etc.

Money to buy me a beer. You're lucky, though. I usually limit myself to just one per evening. The rest of your money you can waste if you want.

PhillyFlash

Be sure to bring some cool/cold weather gear. Although It has been warm lately, it can get cold very quickly in the Rockies, especially if you are at high elevation and it starts to rain. And you never know when you may have a delay and be caught at night at 10,000 feet. I always bring my Gerbings with me, but rain gear with layers works well.

markgoodrich

Two things I never leave home without: Medjet Assist card, and Allstate RV Road Help card. The former gets you and hour bike homes in the event of injury and the latter gets you and your bike to the nearest dealer in the event of a breakdown, no matter how far. I've never bad to use either one....

• 2 weeks later...
PhilipJCaputo

Looks like I'll be using some of the oil I brought... which I did kind of expect... the trip will be about 3k miles for me and usually around that time my oil level has gone from the middle to the bottom of the sight-glass.

Archived