IGNORED

Where Art Thou?

TEWKS

At the end of day 2, I'm in Saint Charles, Missouri. Tomorrow it's on to Hays, KS, with a forecast high of 42C (for you Farenheit fans, that's hot). Think I'll leave very early. Salida on Monday.

Saturday evening finds Gar and I in Twin Falls................ Shower first, uh never mind, already did that . Next a steak dinner.

Looking forward to more of this glorious warm weather....

When we left the hometown it was close to rain and 53.... Since eastern Oregon its been 60+ to 95- +

I did dip into the Payette River to cool off.... Wonderful

And if memory serves, Gar got his two big toes wet.

Tomorrow I hope to find the miles I lost today WhooooHoo

Hot as freaking hell today across Missouri and Kansas. Forgot about crossing a time zone, so I snuck in an extra hour. Holed up in Emporia, KS

Should make it to Salida just in time for dinner tomorrow

Here he is laying on the backseat floor as we got ready to depart at 2pm, He was smiling.

i-PTNjvZn-L.jpg

And we stopped for the night near Toledo. His first experience with a hotel is AOK with Nigel

i-RBzfxc5-L.jpg

In this 6.5 hour segment we stopped twice. We could barely get in and out of the rest stop without folks wanting to talk to him and pet him. I'm going to have to allow 5 minutes per stop for his travel fans. ;)

The lady at the desk didn't ask, so I didn't mention I had him with me. Then I had to sign something that said $100 to bring a dog into the room, so I told her I did have a dog, but that he is a trained therapy dog. She said " OH, OK, no charge". I swear - all it would take is for someone to meet him.

If I sent him in the bank with a note he'd come out with a bag of money and a mouthful of treats.

Well, the bike went from this:

2012_07_21_BMW_skinned.jpg

to fully functional by mid afternoon. More here: How long can I ride on a dry Ohlins shock? The guys at Faster Motorsports in Denver took pity on me and let me move it in an empty service bay out of the sun to put it back together.

Gonna add a couple of pictures from the last few days.

Forest fire that kept me from getting to Wind Cave NP:

2012_07_20_US395_fire2.jpg

Near sunset picture at Badlands NP:

2012_07_19_BadlandsNP2.jpg

Better get up early tomorrow and beat the crowds to Berthoud Pass and the Peak to Peak Scenic Byway.

Mike Cassidy

I'm in Salina, where the heck is everyone?

Working on it Bill

BTW.....I figured you were going to show up, so I tossed those bar backs in my top case. Remind me and I'll hand them over

Just trying to get my groove on in the Flaming Gorge NRA Utah. :) Wow, what a nice surprise that was! :thumbsup:

wyoming437.jpg

wyoming441.jpg

Thought i'd be in Colorado tonight but passed by way too many deer and they weren't afraid of the GS one bit! :(

Vernal UT tonight.

Funny one, I pulled in for gas some ways back and a young kid was there on his f800 GS loaded for the long haul. I walk over, me being a big adventure rider myself. ;) Going to a rally or just local I ask? He replied, i'm from British Columbia and i'm riding to Argentina. Wow, talk about kicking a guy in the nads! :grin:

Pat

After MOA closing ceremony, I called it quits in Topeka. KS around 11 pm.

Eating breakfast and ready for some Kansas back roads. I am on my way.

Doing the final packing and heading out this morning. A stop at the bank and to drop something off at work, and we're on our way for real. Stopping in Utah tonight, we'll be in Salida on Monday - sometime. Hugs to everyone when we get there. :)

PhilipJCaputo

just about to pull out of Flagstaff... Yesterday across the Mojave I rode in 110+ (upto 114) for about 2 hours. Right around Kingman AZ it got real windy and the temp dropped to about 95. Felt like someone had turned on the AC. Finally bottomed out around 70 when I pulled into Flagstaff

The lady at the desk didn't ask, so I didn't mention I had him with me. Then I had to sign something that said $100 to bring a dog into the room, so I told her I did have a dog, but that he is a trained therapy dog. She said " OH, OK, no charge". I swear - all it would take is for someone to meet him.

If I sent him in the bank with a note he'd come out with a bag of money and a mouthful of treats.

Biff will teach him a few tricks - you'll need some therapy after next week :D

I'm late at posting, I almost died the first day from the heat. Friday we headed out and staying in Enid OK, 109 temps for several hours.

Saturday arrived in Salida Co some of the ride was in 102 temps.

Sunday took a nice long walk this morning in 61 degree temps. Life is getting better. :thumbsup:

Left DC as planned on Thursday at 4:30 AM and arrived 1,041 miles, 17 hours later at the MOA Rally in Sedalia, MO.

Attended a couple of seminars, etc on Friday and was able to document my Saddle Sore 1000 ride with Mike Kneebone of the Iron Butt Assoication. Got my certification and membership approved and presented at an IBA pizza party that night.

Left Sedalia early Saturday morning and after 715 miles arrived in Colorado Springs that night. Staying with a college/navy friend today and will work my way to Salida by dinner time tomorrow.

Yes - I am excited and looking forward to seeing all of you soon! :clap:

Got home from France about 11:00 last night. Repacking and getting the bike ready for early a.m. departure with overnight in Salina, UT.

ETA Tuesday afternoon.

Crazy weather across NV 50 today. 92 going into Austin. Temp dropped 30 degrees on other side and rain and a little hail. Got better, then heading into Eureka, lots of lightning. Temp dropped to 58 on other side and rained REALLY hard. Cleared a little and then came to area where standing water was on road, LOT's! but mostly on passenger side. When you hit the first deep puddle you see at 75, the passenger front tire likes to stop rapidly and the driver front tire sort of keeps going. What a rush! Slight lane change, hit brakes, SLOW DOWN. Front wheel drive is interesting. See ya in Salida. Need a car wash.

I'm in Hays, KS, after three days. It's Salida tomorrow. I was on the road at 3:25 today, so I could beat the worst of the heat, and I did. I was at my hotel by 11:00, but there were no clean rooms. It didn't take long, though, to get one ready. It's another early night tonight and another early departure on Monday.

TEWKS posted better pictures than I could, even if I had a camera. Gary and I just dropped out of Flaming Gorge this Sunday late afternoon and are at the KOA camp in Vernal.... Dinner tonite at the Golden Corral.

I can smell Colorado from here and it is sweet

Rolled into Salt Lake City this afternoon. Spending the evening with Twisties and Bullett. Going to ride to grand Junction with them tomorrow and delay my arrival in Salida until Tuesday.

Lincoln, 106 degree, Nebraska for the night.

Bob - Nigel is going to be ready to PLAY.

Believe me, I'm not sad that I'm riding in an air conditioned car. Not one bit.

i-tsB4hbt-L.jpg

Lincoln, 106 degree, Nebraska for the night.

Bob - Nigel is going to be ready to PLAY.

Believe me, I'm not sad that I'm riding in an air conditioned car. Not one bit.

I am sure Nigel isn't sad about it either! I hope both of you have a great time! I wish I could be going to the UN too!

Missouri Bob

I've made it as far as Nederland, CO. Oh wait, that's where I live. I plan to get on the road tomorrow afternoon and be in Salida by early evening.

This should be a good one. It's always fun to connect faces with online personalities.

Bob

Checked into the Gateway this afternoon. Welcomed by Bill! :thumbsup: (hwy 41)

Grand Mesa scenic byway exit 49 off of I-70 for anyone coming in from the west, fun road!! :clap: Sorry no pics.

CO 12 into Crested Butte was a nice ice breaker!

colorado452.jpg

Pat

Well, I'm actually further away, but not by much. The theme for the day was "keeping cool", and I accomplished it. Left Denver early and had a nice stop in Golden, CO and then over Berthoud Pass and then the Trail Ridge Road in RMNP. Yes, it was busy, but it was cool.

Added on CR-27 from US 34 to CO14 and then up the Poudre Canyon to Cameron Pass and back. Passed through a lot of the Poudre Canyon fire:

2012_07_22_PoudreCanyonfFire1.jpg

The ash and soot from the fire has been washed into the river you can't see an inch into the water:

2012_07_22_PoudreRiver1.jpg

On to Salida tomorrow.

Mike Cassidy

Crazy weather across NV 50 today. 92 going into Austin. Temp dropped 30 degrees on other side and rain and a little hail. Got better, then heading into Eureka, lots of lightning. Temp dropped to 58 on other side and rained REALLY hard. Cleared a little and then came to area where standing water was on road, LOT's! but mostly on passenger side. When you hit the first deep puddle you see at 75, the passenger front tire likes to stop rapidly and the driver front tire sort of keeps going. What a rush! Slight lane change, hit brakes, SLOW DOWN. Front wheel drive is interesting. See ya in Salida. Need a car wash.

Ditto.

Left home in Danville this morning, in Eureka, NV. tonight. Green River, UT tomorrow night, and Salida Tuesday.

Got to the Gateway Inn around 8:30 pm after fighting 110 degrees all day. Tomorrow time for some mountain riding in hopefully cooler temps.

Ditto.

Left home in Danville this morning, in Eureka, NV. tonight. Green River, UT tomorrow night, and Salida Tuesday.

Check your PM

The ash and soot from the fire has been washed into the river you can't see an inch into the water:

:P Yuck. That isn't something you see very often.

WhooHOOO! We are both so glad to be out of the car! Going to take a shower and then head over to see whose at the UN hotel. Looking for a place that will allow me to eat outdoors with Nigel. I've been eating power bars and popcorn for 3 days. I need a real meal.

Nigel approves of Salida.

i-JcgZFxW-M.jpg

In Green River, UT tonight, after a wet, tiring day. Will blow through Gunnison tomorrow and into Salida.

My son and I rolled into Salida around 11 P.M. Glad to be here. Looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow (er, later today). :grin:

Hopz and Mrs Hops 95 percent packed and loaded. Will head out by 6:30 local time.

See you later today.

Free beers to those who will help unload the trailer...

Arrived Salida 11:30pm after flat truck tyre fixed in Grand Junction, Janet worked until 2am, conference call at 6am, going to nap now.

Salida CO to Lincoln NE today

Good gravy, between the Verizon problems and the hour I spent getting on the internet at tonight's hotel I'm rather verklempt

Good day of travel. Nigel slept the entire day. Imagine that, Biff :grin:

Decided to head east early this morning in order to get closer to Dad. He had some "confusion" Saturday, but as of tonight he seems to be fine. Whew.

If all goes well I'll be at RonB's tomorrow evening.

In IL., at RonB's for the night. Visiting Knappy Family and Dennis in the morning. Then thinking i will try to be home Monday late. Will see how it goes. It will be my longest day, but it will accomplish my goals of hugging those who I have longed to hug since they took care of me in May 2011.

i-JTQpSK8-L.jpg

Wonderful to see Steve Knapp &Family and Dennis Murphy. In Indiana now & on my way home. Should be in my own bed before midnight.

Archived