IGNORED

R1150RT Fuel Tank Hose Repair and Pump/Filter Service

roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt
Without getting into the politics, ethanol is an octane booster without the problems of lead or mbte.

So it may be, but every time it has gone in my tank, the bike is DOWN on power.

Not sure I understand that, it should take a higher volume of fuel, but produce the same power, unless I'm blanking out at the moment.

It will take a while (several tanks of fuel) for the Mixture Adaptations to add enough fuel at Wide Throttle Angles to bring back the 4% increase in volume required.

Does your bike have a functioning O2 sensor?

Edited by roger 04 rt
Without getting into the politics, ethanol is an octane booster without the problems of lead or mbte.

So it may be, but every time it has gone in my tank, the bike is DOWN on power.

mine as well, coincidence? maybe, but I think not, however I do use non-eth (90 or better) as often as possible

roger 04 rt

Getting back to in-tank hose damage ...

Is it ethanol, which means the majority of Oilheads have been or will be affected?

Or is it Techron or Dri-Gas or ...

Ethanol can be used as an octane booster but that's not why it's in our gas. The alleged reason for the law is to lessen our dependence on foreign oil with good old made in the USA (from corn) fuel. While not helping the farmers and ADM (mostly ADM), there are better ways to produce ethanol...lots of reasons NOT to use corn. Now I'll shut up before it gets any more political.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
On 7/19/2012 at 4:59 PM, roger 04 rt said:

Today I put together a fuel pressure gauge and flow-volume testing setup to create a baseline for my R1150RT. The spec for the pressure regulator is 43 psi and the fuel pump is rated for 110 liters per hour.

Here's a photo of the fuel pressure gauge connected to two QDs salvaged from a plastic to metal QD conversion. And a female QD connected to a collection hose. The idea is to connect the fuel gauge to the high pressure feed hose, and connect the collection hose to the regulator side of the return line so that fuel bypassing the fuel pressure regulator is collected in the container and weighed. This way you can measure both the fuel pressure and total fuel volume.

In order to develop 95 HP (R1150 Max.), the system has to be able to output a minimum of 35 to 40 liters per hour.

fuelfix10.JPG

Here is the system connected to the motorcycle.

fuelfix11.JPG

Here is the idle fuel pressure, 44 psi.

fuelfix12.JPG

I ran the motorcycle for 60 seconds and collected 3 lbs. 13 oz. of fuel which equates to 0.64 gallons (6 lbs. per gallon), which translates to 145 liters per hour. Much better than the pump spec of 110 l/h and easily 3 times the amount required to produce full power. Every 10 minutes the pump runs 5 gallons of fuel through the system.

Thinking back on the failure of my system and the multiple cracks in the hose. I suspect that my system was running fine with some leaks but then one opened to the point where there was little to no fuel pressure. If I'd been measuring pressure and volume once a year I might have caught this long ago.

The 145 l/h will serve as a baseline for future measurement to assess the health of the fuel delivery system including pump, filter and internal hose condition.

As a side note, the new pump is noticeably quieter than the old one. Also the engine is noticeably smoother (am I imagining this?) Which I believe is due to the better injector matching (< 2%) after cleaning.

RB

Roger, 

I’m replacing the fuel filter & hoses in my tank and ran across this article from a few years back.  I thought your idea here was terrific.  I’m going to fashion something similar, thinking that this would not only test fuel pressure & volume, but also be an effective means to empty a tank of gas before pulling the tank off of the motorcycle.

I’ll order the quick connects from Beemer Bone Yard, but was wondering where you got this particular pressure gauge?  

Thanks, 

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
roger 04 rt

I got the gauge from Amazon and used it to help set boosted fuel pressure during some early experiments.

I have found the return hose to be the most important tool. Because the FPR rarely fails, as long as you get 2L per minute of return fuel flow, you have a sound fuel system—no leaks, no blockages and a strong fuel pump.

10 hours ago, roger 04 rt said:

I got the gauge from Amazon and used it to help set boosted fuel pressure during some early experiments.

I have found the return hose to be the most important tool. Because the FPR rarely fails, as long as you get 2L per minute of return fuel flow, you have a sound fuel system—no leaks, no blockages and a strong fuel pump.

Roger04RT,

Did you find that boosted fuel pressure had any positive or negative effects on engine performance or parts wear??

Is there a way to do a leak-down test on the hoses inside the tank??