IGNORED

Rev'It Tornado Jacket

MotorcycleWriter

MotorcycleWriter

I didn't see a gear review forum so though I would post this here. I've been wearing a Cortech mesh jacket for the last few summers. I never really liked it very much. Fits like crap and it is not very vented feeling. Plus, even the light colored ones (mine is yellow) have a lot of black on them. My skin under the black sections tends to really heat up.

So, I started looking again and read the reviews on the Rev'It Tornado. It's expensive but I took a chance and I LOVE IT. The silver version has no black patches that the sun can hit. The mesh fabric flows about 100x better than that Cortech. The armor fits MUCH better. The overall fit and finish is far superior. The zippers don't take two hands. Compared to the Cortech it was about 2x the price, but IMHO is worth every penny. Ordered mine from Motorcycle Superstore and received it the next day with free shipping.

As far as sizing, I wear a 42R coat. My waist is about a 31. I work out a lot so my shoulders aren't really in proportion to my waist (though if you saw me you'd just say I'm a scrawny little puke.) I originally ordered a 48 and it was very tight in the shoulders. The 50 fits much better but is still a bit tighter than the M Cortech. It is the cut. It's a Euro cut so is a little tighter which is better for protective gear. Extremely comfortable and well worth getting yelled at by my wife for spending so much on a jacket. After all, last weeks high was 106. Yes, I rode that day.

RockBottom

I just got a Rev'it Airwave and feel pretty much the same way. Here's the review I posted on the Revzilla site:

As many people have noted, the Airwave probably has the highest overall construction quality of the mesh jackets out there. I was surprised by the airflow--I had a tight weave Scorpion that doesn't flow much but the flow in the Airwave is closer to that of the lose mesh Joe Rocket Phoenix. The dual pockets with holders for an earphone cord is nice. Like the option of high viz sleeves. I can't bring myself to wear a full high viz even though I know I should. The Airwave is a good compromise.

The shortcomings are:

1. The neck strap becomes a bit annoying on long rides. I did a 540 mile day with temperatures touching triple digits soon after getting it, and my neck was a bit sore by the end of the day.

2. The zipper is hard to get started and not up to the quality level of the rest of the jacket.

3. The need to order a decent back protector extra.

I would suggest ordering your regular size. I'd read Revzilla's comments about ordering a size up in Rev'it jackets. I did and it was a bit too large but I was leaving on a long trip the day it arrived and needed to wear it and now can't exchange it. I wish I'd gotten the smaller size.

Rides: 2010 BMW R1200R

As I mentioned in another thread, I also purchased a Rev'it Tornado recently, and I like it. There are a couple of minor annoyances though: the zipper is a "left handed" one (why?), and the back pad that comes with it is useless. And I find that the sleeves are a bit wide in the forearm area for me, which leads to the elbow pads moving around a bit.

I am getting used to the zipper, and I replaced the back pad with a better one. And the elbow pad issue may just be me.

Overall, the jacket is very comfortable, seems to flow air very well, and appears to be of excellent quality. The removable liner is very nice, and can be worn as a jacket around town.

I also like that you can get it in light colors. I could never understand why manufacturers make hot weather mesh jackets in dark colors. It kind of defeats the purpose if you ask me. I opted for high-vis yellow.

• 1 month later...

I have this jacket. I too had a little difficulty with the durned, left handed zipper. I'm 'past that', now. It's a great, well made jacket-and I wear it all the time. It gets to be over a hundred, here, in the summer, and this is actually the first, 'warm weather', breathable, jacket I have ever, owned. In a much younger, much more foolish time, I would have been in short sleeves, with gloves on. Nowadays, I ride everywhere, with lots of protection. I would heartily recommend this jacket. I also purchased it in hi-vis. When I tried on-what I believed was 'my size'-it seemed too snug. I went to the next size up- and with all of the straps, and outer adjustments, I'm glad I did. I have more room to move, now!

Archived