IGNORED

Garmin 276C Tether?

snod

Has any body come up with a good way to tether a 276? I always used the wrist lanyard on my GPSV. I would loop it around a hole in my RCU Shelf using a mini carabiner. I just got my 276 and haven't come up with any good way to anchor a saftey tether to it. I'm looking for something to prevent the GPS developing a case of road rash if the mount lets go.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I had the same concern

and asked here a few weeks ago (try a search).

All the responders claimed that the supplied mount worked fine without

a backup.

I have very few miles with the setup, but so far I'd have to agree.

I use black electrical tape looped around the unit, the Garmin Marine Mount attached to my homemade adapter, and my RCU shelf itself. The tape acks as a security teather as well as helping damp out any vibrations.

Stan

Well, it probably isn't the best but I use a heavy elastic pager lanyard. It looks sort of like this: LINK

I loop one end around the bars and the other end around the GPS antenna. My lanyard doesn't have the small clip on one end. It has a small elastic loop that fits snugly around the antenna.

Fortunately, I haven't had to test whether this system works or not. dopeslap.gif

I've also used very heavy rubber bands but they tend to get in the way of the buttons or the screen.

I found a tether for my 276C at Radio Shack. It was actually a tether for a cell phone. The base of the tether is attached with industrial strength ( I guess) double sided tape. There is a removable clip which attaches to the base. A cord is attached to the clip. If the base piece is attached to the underside on the right of the 276c, I can use any Garmin or RAM mounting unit. If you let the tape cure properly for 24 hours it holds remarkably well, but I have not had to test it for catastrophic failure as yet.

If you are looking for a backup attachment rather than a tether, some of my friends use an O-ring around the unit and base. A bit better than a rubber band , I guess.

Has any body come up with a good way to tether a 276? I always used the wrist lanyard on my GPSV. I would loop it around a hole in my RCU Shelf using a mini carabiner. I just got my 276 and haven't come up with any good way to anchor a saftey tether to it. I'm looking for something to prevent the GPS developing a case of road rash if the mount lets go.

Which mount are you using? Mine came with two mounts. One from the automotive kit with a base that sides into the bean bag thingy that sits on your dashboard; the other is the marine mount that comes as a single piece and the base can presumably be screwed into the boat somewhere. This mount has a slide up clip on the Left Hand Side. Put the 276 into this mount in the same way that you would put it in the automotive mount and slide the clip up. This puts an additional two retaining clips in the unit and makes it as secure as I think you need it to be. You can see photos of what I'm talking about here:

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1895

I have two plugged in connections to my 276; the bike powered line (direct plug) and a remote antenna line (twist lock). Between the two I feel pretty good about an accidental errant 276 trip being limited. thumbsup.gif

Now if I could figure out a good way to LOCK the unit on my GS to prevent theft tongue.gif . . . that would be golden.

Archived