IGNORED

R1200RT First Service

JIM'SK

What are you guys experiencing for the co$t of your first (600 mile) service? Is there a list of the things the dealers are supposed to do at 600? The owners manual is short on detail.

Thanks,

Jim Merrell

Canton, OH

storman113

I had quotes of 175 to 375! Guess which one I chose! Changed all fluids and check bolt torques. For the 6000 I'll change the oil/filter myself and have the dealer do the valve check.

99Roadster

Jim,

It varies depending on the dealer. Although I have no personal experience with them, I would recommend Mathias which is probably closest to you anyway.

Good luck.

I have used Mathias off and on for years, although I did not buy this bike there. Kinda would like to use the dealer I bought from for the first service then switch to a combination of do it myself and Mathias.

Thanks,

Jim

dirtdreamer50

Just spoke with my two local dealers and they were both charging $325 to $375 for the service. Other than an O/F change, one said that they check for fault codes and adjust the alternator belt. The other said that they check for fault codes, sync T/B's, and replace FD fluid and that the alternator belt check isn't needed until at least the 6k service. Personally, I think almost $400 to do an O/F change is kinda high. Found out that camhead heads don't need torquing and the first valve clearance check isn't needed until the 12/24k service. Was told that valves may be checked at 6k but they haven't had to make a shim change until the 12 or 24k service.

Afternoon dirtdreamer50

You might want to stay far away from that dealer that says they ADJUST the alternator belt. Definitely a glass of smoke as the alternator is fixed in position on the hexhead/camhead & is NON ADJUSTABLE.

dirtdreamer50
Afternoon dirtdreamer50

You might want to stay far away from that dealer that says they ADJUST the alternator belt. Definitely a glass of smoke as the alternator is fixed in position on the hexhead/camhead & is NON ADJUSTABLE.

We live and learn. "let the buyer beware" Thanks for the heads up. tomp

Just spoke with my two local dealers and they were both charging $325 to $375 for the service. Other than an O/F change, one said that they check for fault codes and adjust the alternator belt. The other said that they check for fault codes, sync T/B's, and replace FD fluid and that the alternator belt check isn't needed until at least the 6k service. Personally, I think almost $400 to do an O/F change is kinda high. Found out that camhead heads don't need torquing and the first valve clearance check isn't needed until the 12/24k service. Was told that valves may be checked at 6k but they haven't had to make a shim change until the 12 or 24k service.

dirtdreamer50,which dealer(s) did you go and told you about the belt so I can stay away from.

dirtdreamer50

SW Freeway area. I'm not bad mouthing the dealer, as I have purchased a couple of bikes from them. I just believe the writer is new and he kept asking someone else what was entailed. When I mentioned TB syncs he didn't seem to know what that was or if they did that... South Houston writer much more helpful, but never done service with them...Hope that helps...tp dd50

SW Freeway area. I'm not bad mouthing the dealer, as I have purchased a couple of bikes from them. I just believe the writer is new and he kept asking someone else what was entailed. When I mentioned TB syncs he didn't seem to know what that was or if they did that... South Houston writer much more helpful, but never done service with them...Hope that helps...tp dd50

Thank you for your info.I had ask once before about something from them,even before they change ownership,and I didn't went back since.I like the south Houston place they are very nice and fare.

If the Alt is fixed solid, what method is used to keep the belt tight?

It has to have some kind of tensioner doesn't it?

Afternoon Kmac

Very simple system. In fact the same as used on most vacuum cleaners. An elastomer type stretchy belt.

steelerider

Well,

I just picked up my 2012 RT after its first 600 mile service. On the way home, I could tell the tires were really hard. Did a pressure check and they were reading 47 psi, front and rear. 47 freaking psi. Am I wrong for being annoyed? Max recommended pressure on the rear is 42. The front is 36! If they can't even set the tire pressure according to Manufacturers specs, what else was done wrong? We all know how critical correct tire pressure is to handling, safety, and tire life. No more. Should have gone to Hermys, like my gut told me too.

Take your pick: The dealer didn't check the tires, or the mechanic didn't notice the hard tires on the after-service test ride; or your shop doesn't test ride after every service as they should. Regardless, I'd choose a new dealer/service shop. Who knows what else they don't do right?

• 1 month later...

Here's the list of what they're supposed to do:

Reset service date

Reading fault memory with BMW diagnostic system

engine oil change, with filter

change oil read drive

check brake fluid front and back

check freedom of movement of Bowden cables and checking for kinks and chafing

check tire depth and pressure

check lights and signaling equipment

function test, engine start suppression

check the synchronization

final inspection and check road worthiness

another reading fault memory with BMW diagnostic system

confirm BMW service in on board computer

dirtdreamer50

Interesting list, considering that at 600 miles, the bike is just at most, a few weeks old. Other than the O/F and FD fluids, all the rest of the mentioned service items should have been done when the bike was prepped for sale. The dealer charges for setup and delivery, and set up includes checking and adjusting cables, insuring brake and clutch fluids and systems are functioning properly, all bolts and fasteners secured, etc. The tires have only 600 miles on them, and tread depths need to be measured?

Set up also includes updating all the computer info, mine took 2.5 hrs to complete. Been told by several dealers that TB's don't normally need or get synchronized at that time, and valves aren't checked on camheads then either. At 600 miles any problems found with the bike should fall under the warranty, and not be considered customer pay expenses, as nothing should be worn out and needing replacement so soon.

Other than the fluid changes, all that is really done to the bike is setting the reminder to bring it back in so they can get into your wallet again. I speak from experience,as I was an auto dealer service writer, and saw 60k mile services done on cars with Timing belt replacements, tune ups, all fluids, etc, in under an hour, where we billed service book rate of 4 to 5 hrs labor. All the inspections normally done were done in the effort to sell more parts and service.

Ok, rant over, everyone needs to make a living, but at least bill appropriately for what is actually done, not supposedly done or should have been done by them already. tomp dd50

Afternoon Kmac

Very simple system. In fact the same as used on most vacuum cleaners. An elastomer type stretchy belt.

DR - not quite so "elastic" so that there is no risk of losing or damaging a finger, right?

:D

Isn't there a BMW Special Tool for this operation?

Afternoon Kmac

[/quo...te]

Isn't there a BMW Special Tool for this operation?

There is, and my independent tech uses it. He did my 120,000 km inspection two days ago and, among many other things, replaced the belt. Took him no time at all. Some in the DIY crowd seem to jerry-rig something.

Interesting list, considering that at 600 miles, the bike is just at most, a few weeks old. Other than the O/F and FD fluids, all the rest of the mentioned service items should have been done when the bike was prepped for sale. The dealer charges for setup and delivery, and set up includes checking and adjusting cables, insuring brake and clutch fluids and systems are functioning properly, all bolts and fasteners secured, etc.

There is a separate Pre-delivery checklist, containing many of the same items, which the dealers are required to follow before they hand over the bike.

One of the purposes of the 600 mi. service is to give BMW an opportunity to inspect the bike shortly after delivery to ensure that no "initial operation" issues have cropped up (e.g., make sure the brakes work properly, bolts/nuts haven't worked loose, etc.). IMO, a very good practice from the perspective of both: (i) liability protection/minimization against defective equipment claims arising out of a subsequent accident, and (ii) maximizing customer satisfaction by finding/fixing any issues early, and by getting anything the customer identified immediately fixed while he/she is still in that "I'm so happy with my new toy" mood, i.e., when dealing with the issue can still be a matter of "they took great care of me immediately!" rather than "this bike has a load of problems and I'm unhappy about this brand." It also doesn't hurt the dealers to have increased customer interaction time, but that's obviously not a primary driver for the initial service requirement.

My $0.02.

dirtdreamer50

I totally agree with you on what is advisable for the dealer to inspect, but charging upwards of $400 in many locations will not maximize customer satisfaction. If the dealer is concerned about customer satisfaction and minimizing liability, these inspections should be included as part of the purchase considering it is a $22k investment for the customer.

I'm not looking for an argument here, but with 44 years in sales, and 28 in my current field, if my service techs worked and billed this way, I would be out of business. I am in the health care professional industry, where keeping them HAPPY, is everything, considering the high level of competition, something a BMW dealer is not normally burdened with, on a daily basis.

It's to bad that there's not more competition near the BMW Dealers that are over charging. I feel very lucky after seeing what some other dealers are doing out there.

please tell me someone in the health care professional "industry" is not complaining about oveercharging.

:dopeslap:

Having seen hundreds of sold motorcycles go out the door and

then return for 600 miles service, and having seen many bikes sold at other dealerships stop in for 600 mile service on the way to somewhere, it is needed.

Many different reasons, but these are mechanical things.

Almost always no flags raised, but I've seen it happen.

Sort of like having an operation.

No need to return to see the doctor, after all he is a trained professional and got everything right the first time...

;)

Nothing personal but I suggest anyone unhappy with cost of purchase/maintenance/resale/etc of a BMW open their own dealership and show us how it is done.

Best wishes.

dirtdreamer50
please tell me someone in the health care professional "industry" is not complaining about oveercharging.

:dopeslap:

Having seen hundreds of sold motorcycles go out the door and

then return for 600 miles service, and having seen many bikes sold at other dealerships stop in for 600 mile service on the way to somewhere, it is needed.

Many different reasons, but these are mechanical things.

Almost always no flags raised, but I've seen it happen.

Sort of like having an operation.

No need to return to see the doctor, after all he is a trained professional and got everything right the first time...

;)

Nothing personal but I suggest anyone unhappy with cost of purchase/maintenance/resale/etc of a BMW open their own dealership and show us how it is done.

Best wishes.

Thanks for the best wishes. You said nothing personal in the last paragraph, but when read, it is. Never said I was unhappy with the purchase or maintenance costs. I simply stated that $400 for a couple of fluid changes is high. If BMW feels it could have problems with their build or set up of a bike, they shouldn't charge the customer to find out. That is mot maintenance, that's CYA on BMW's part.

I sell in the Dental Industry, where margins are low for us, insurance controls mostly what the dr can charge for his work and follow ups, post procedures,etc, are normally done at N/C, as proper patient care and of course, CYA.

Bet wishes to you and great success in the work you do. tomp dd50

Just had the 600 mile service performed today. It was $165.00. I actually watched them do most of the inspection and checking over. They used Mobil 1 gear lube and the BMW 20w50 motor oil. Next oil change I will have Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w50 put in. I just can't be happier with the service and integrity of my dealer.

dirtdreamer50
Just had the 600 mile service performed today. It was $165.00. I actually watched them do most of the inspection and checking over. They used Mobil 1 gear lube and the BMW 20w50 motor oil. Next oil change I will have Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w50 put in. I just can't be happier with the service and integrity of my dealer.

Thanks, RAINEY, for sharing your experience. Kinda proves my point, that $165 is a proper price for the service, where $400 isn't. That was all I was getting at with my posts.

I spent under $60 for Mobil I, BMW filter, and Castrol synth gear lube, leaving $100+ for labor and shop fees, which matches up with what you paid.

During the time the oil is draining, around 20 minutes, the FD fluid change, other inspections and computer check can be done. all that is left is to test ride the bike and complete the paperwork, possibly one hour actual time spent by the tech on the bike, if he is working solo. The extra $200+ my dealer wants goes for what work? Just wondering, here... tomp dd50

Rainey

20W-50 in a 2012, in Michigan?

Terry

That pretty much what is put into all of the Boxers here by the dealers. Considering once it's cold enough here to snow some of us just stop riding. There are the few true Bimmer riders that ride as long as there not any ice. I like to stay clear of the salt.

Rainey

20W-50 in a 2012, in Michigan?

Terry

That pretty much what is put into all of the Boxers here by the dealers. Considering once it's cold enough here to snow some of us just stop riding. There are the few true Bimmer riders that ride as long as there not any ice. I like to stay clear of the salt.

Oh no ... not the dreaded viscosity debate :rofl:

dirtdreamer50

Well, the hoopla over the cost is now done, so why not a viscosity one. It will turn this 4 page thread into a 40 over night. hehehhe... tompdd50

dirtdreamer50

I understand. With as tightly wound as our world seems today, just thought a little levity would be in order during our forum time. Guess not.

terryofperry

Dirtdreamer

Actually you did a better job at levity than I did, just wanted to squash the debate thingy before it got too far.

Terry

dirtdreamer50
Dirtdreamer

Actually you did a better job at levity than I did, just wanted to squash the debate thingy before it got too far.

Terry

I agree with your motive. Seems some days that any thread can go from fun to furious in one page. I guess if we could all spend more time in the saddle instead of typing about it, the happiness level would go up tremendously, and most threads would be great ride reports. Hey, we have a holiday weekend ahead to do just that. Everyone ride and smile. tomp dd50

dirtdreamer50

Terry, I got your unedited reply on my phone and think that it was just too funny. Probably more true than we wish, also. Wonder how many of them can read the German Manuals they are issued? tomp dd50

Archived