IGNORED

ESA II or Ohlins for my R1200RT

fastlarry

I just bought a 2011 R1200RT that has the ESA II suspension. I have a K1200GT (which is for sale for anyone interested) that I equipped with Ohlins units front and rear. I loved them; they transformed the bike. Now, I wonder if Ohlins units would be an improvement over the stock units and I am talking about the non-electronic Ohlins units. Has anyone done this conversion and was it difficult? Where does the external adjuster mount? Is the rebound adjustment accessible?

Larry

Guest Kakugo

You should seriously consider Wilbers WESA shocks. High quality and you get to keep the ESA function. I am really satisfied of the ones I have on my 2009 RT. Plus, at least here in Europe, they are considerably cheaper than Ohlins and given their aggressive pricing policy you get good rebates.

I switched from the OEM ESA struts to Ohlins on my '06 RT in 2009. I did this at the BMW MOA Rally in Tennessee, so obviously I did not do the work myself (good thing). The Ohlins instructions say to mount the preload adjuster "wheel" for the rear strut above the exhaust silencer, but the installer suggested mounting it under the seat (doesn't get covered in road crud etc.). That works fine, just have to remove the seat to get at it. As for the rebound damping, I honestly have to say that I've never touched it since they were installed and the set-up was done on-site by a couple of reps from Ohlins USA (with me getting on and off the bike, bouncing up and down etc. Seemed accessible enough for them to adjust).

I installed the Ohlins adjuster next to the muffler on my '06 (and previously on my '00). Never had a problem with road crud affecting it.

BMW should just install Ohlins at the factory and drop the ESA.

The adjuster I suppose has to be secured to something. Is there a bracket to secure it? Does one have to make something? Do you have to trim away plastic to make a place for it? Under the seat is it secured to something to keep it from rattling about? Thanks for the responses, thus far.

Larry

IMHO. Yes to all of your questions.

I've gone with Wilbur's this time around and the ride is greatly improved over the stock ESA shocks.

I do not miss the ESA at all.

My preload adjuster is mounted beneath the seat with the provided mounting bracket.The install is no more difficult than replacing the stock shocks. No fault codes when eliminating the ESA.

The adjuster I suppose has to be secured to something. Is there a bracket to secure it? Does one have to make something? Do you have to trim away plastic to make a place for it? Under the seat is it secured to something to keep it from rattling about? Thanks for the responses, thus far.

Larry

When my preload adjuster was secured under the seat (immediately aft of the driver's seat), nothing was cut, or added. It's oriented at 90 degrees to the bike's direction of travel, and there's a bit of a raised lip to which it's fastened. It essentially lies flat, and when I want to use it, I just pivot it upward (it pivots on the small bolt/white plastic bushing where it's attached).

The stock bracket that came with my Ohlins has worked for me for 4 years. Just reach behind the side case to adjust, no need to remove the seat.

preload.JPG

Do you have to remove the left side case to access? How about access to the rebound adjuster? Tire changing made more difficult? Another question: does the front shock have a rebound adjuster?

John in VA

The case doesn't have to be removed for access but it makes it easier because the knob very close to the case. I don't adjust preload very often.

Rear rebound adjuster knob is at the bottom of the rear shock and easy to reach without taking off a case, but once you get the proper setting for your riding it's set-and-forget. That's the beauty of premium shocks -- once they're set up right they're perfect on any surface so no need for electronic gadgetry to mush them down or stiffen them to cover up cheap shock performance. Slab cruising or mountain twisties, great shocks work great all the time. Preload for two-up weight change is the only adjustment you'll need. My bike has ESA but I put on Ohlins at 1500 mi.

I loosen and swing out the muffler a bit to remove the rear wheel anyway so it doesn't affect tire changing.

I think I am going to spring for these. I know on my K1200GT (2003) they transformed the bike; it goes through corners like it was on rails, no fuss, no bucking. It is still a bit ponderous, particularly in the slow stuff. And it rides good like John says over all surfaces, plush, but not mushy. Anyone know particularly good sources for these units? Do the RT units have rebound damping on the front shocks, also? My K bike front shock has no rebound adjustment, but they work just fine.

John in VA

I got Ohlins for my old 1100RT and my current R1200RT from HardRacing.com. Funky website but great service and prices. There are plenty of other good retailers.

Love my Ohlins. They're in a whole other world compared to stock shocks, and the only thing I miss about ESA is the ability to adjust on the fly. Once you've got the hang of where to reach in to adjust the Ohlins it only takes a moment.

• 1 month later...
BMW should just install Ohlins at the factory and drop the ESA.

Yes but that would require buyers to know what they are buying. It seems that many are easily sold on crappy shocks and a flashing LCD.

• 2 weeks later...
FYI, Ohlins now sells shock units with the ESA function. About the same $$$ as a set of OEM's and they're rebuildable/repairable.

The only ones I've seen are for the GS and they were close to $3000 I think. Please tell us where you got your pricing...

FYI, Ohlins now sells shock units with the ESA function. About the same $$$ as a set of OEM's and they're rebuildable/repairable.

The only ones I've seen are for the GS and they were close to $3000 I think. Please tell us where you got your pricing...

Max BMW parts fiche for the RT shows OEM front ESA strut at $1202 and rear at $2132, total $3334. An OEM set for a GS is $3935.

A quick search did not turn up sites selling the Ohlins ESA yet, but Cycle World reported a price of $3279 for the GS set. No sign that Ohlins is developing an RT ESA version.

Larry

Oops! My bad. You're absolutely right. Never mind.

Max BMW parts fiche for the RT shows OEM front ESA strut at $1202 and rear at $2132, total $3334. An OEM set for a GS is $3935.

A quick search did not turn up sites selling the Ohlins ESA yet, but Cycle World reported a price of $3279 for the GS set. No sign that Ohlins is developing an RT ESA version.

Larry

Wow, I hadn't priced OEM suspension. I had no idea it was that high. I am so naive.

• 2 weeks later...

Larry

Those BMW part prices are robbery. $2132 for a rear shock? What is it, titanium and gold? A new pair of far superior (and rebuildable) Ohlins cost me $1400.

I still have the OEM ESA shocks that I took off my 06 RT at 1500 miles sitting in a cabinet in my garage. I'd better move them to a bank safe...

Archived