IGNORED

WYO, MT, ID OR route suggestions needed

markgoodrich

markgoodrich

I'm thinking of running out to Portland from Austin for a few days, to visit some friends, and then get back to Salida in time for the Unrally. I have nothing but time, want to completely avoid Interstates. I'm thinking I'll ride up to Grand Junction, but am unsure about great rides after that. I know about Flaming Gorge, and it's an option, but I'm also interested in going up the east side of the mountains, if going through Yellowstone wouldn't be too much of a heavy-traffic chore...I could also cut through Grand Teton...or go all the way past both parks up into MT...the No. 1 criterion is squiggly roads and low traffic.

Thanks a million, in advance.

My only comment is about Yellowstone. I've been through it three times in the last six years (all in the busy summer holiday time). It's never been a problem insofar as traffic is concerned, so long as you hit the park early (the campers, RVers etc. will not yet be out and about).

Get up to Lolo pass, then across into Wash/Or and spend a night in the Wallowa area eastern Oregon, Enterprise has Terminal Gravity Brewery, Joseph is a funky little town, Wallowa like the Alps. Ride the gorge into Portland on the Wash side, side trip to Mt Hood and brewery or St Helens if poss.

You'll find that you just don't have enough time for ALL that this area has to offer.

Oregon troopers like speed at 55.

Ask Joe how he knows.

MB>

My only comment is about Yellowstone. I've been through it three times in the last six years (all in the busy summer holiday time). It's never been a problem insofar as traffic is concerned, so long as you hit the park early (the campers, RVers etc. will not yet be out and about).

Unless...and it's a big unless, there are animals on the road (bison), then everything comes to a screeching halt for a long time. I hit the east entry at 6 a.m. beelining for the west gate. Everything was smooth until the dreaded bison herd standing on the road. Cars were backed up about 1/4 mile. I finally went by them all in the opposing lane, worked my way past the bison and got out of there. By 9 a.m. it was bumper to bumper both ways. This was in July, 2 years ago. It was my 3rd and last trip through Yellowstone unless its December.

Just a footnote, that's where I was on September 11, 2001. It was just as busy then.

I would plan a ride south of the park. Grand Teton isn't exactly car free either. There are so many awesome roads that have nothing to do with tourist destinations that a rider can enjoy on that route if you're not in a hurry.

Get up to Lolo pass, then across into Wash/Or and spend a night in the Wallowa area eastern Oregon, Enterprise has Terminal Gravity Brewery, Joseph is a funky little town, Wallowa like the Alps. Ride the gorge into Portland on the Wash side, side trip to Mt Hood and brewery or St Helens if poss.

You'll find that you just don't have enough time for ALL that this area has to offer.

Oregon troopers like speed at 55.

Ask Joe how he knows.

MB>

This is also a great route. Montana backways are fun too.

Be sure and tour the brass foundry in Joseph and stop at the soda fountain across the street.

Re: the OSP troopers and 55. Their budget has been cut way back and there just aren't that many of them out there in the rural areas anymore. We rarely see them even on the interstates now, except near major cities like Portland. Most rural areas are Sheriff patrolled now and they do use radar but there aren't that many of them either. Or, just slow down and really enjoy the ride.

PhillyFlash

People complain about Yellowstone all the time - it's crowded, traffic is bad, people stop in the middle of the road - and it's all true. But it's also one of the most unique parks in the country, with scenery you won't find anywhere else. If you've never been there, I think it's worth visiting. As long as you know what to expect, and you have time, don't worry about it. It's definitely a sightseeing place, and you'll want to take your time, anyway. Visit lots of places and just be a tourist.

Mark... Roads to include and to weave into a ride.

Idaho 12, aka Lolo Pass is a must.

Idaho 93 especially from Salmon to junction at Lolo.

Idaho 93 north from Missoula to 200... northwest to Sandpoint, Id= magnificent.

IMO Flaming Gorge is not that big of a deal but if you need to get north from Grand Junction it is pretty good. Problem is getting to an interesting road from there to ... anywhere.

Utah 150, aka Mirror Lake Highway is a great road.

Utah 35 from Duchesne to Francis/Kama magnificent.

West bound from Backer City on 7 to 26 to and beyond John Day is great. John Day was our UN site a few years ago.

Going across Oregon you don't want to miss Highways 245 (South of Baker City), 19 (through Kimberly and Spray) and 218 (Fossil to Antelope to Shaniko). The chance of encountering any enforcement is extremely low and you won't find better or more successive twisty's anywhere. Whoever designed these roads had to be a biker.

Mark:

I've seen that you plan well ahead of time, so why don't you put together a route that fits your time frame and then we can comment on slight changes to the route or where to stop? What I consider "a must" and you consider "a must" might be quite different. I'm sure you have some ideas already so try them out on us? Do you want to divert as far as the Beartooth? Do you want to cross wide open prairie and visit something like Big Hole Battlefield? Do you want to follow a cold mountain river like the Clearwater along Lolo or 93 along the Salmon River? Do you want to cross the lava field at MacKenzie Pass followed by a ridiculous set of switchbacks down the west side of 242? Go down the Hell's Canyon Dam road? Historic Columbia Gorge Highway? Blitz the Old Spiral Highway up the side of the Columbia River Gorge at Lewiston?

What's fun, what's the "must do's"?

Mike Cassidy

markgoodrich

Mike, I'll do that...as best I can...this weekend. What I mainly look for is squiggles on the map.

In Montana you MUST see these: Yellowstone, Glacier-Going to the Sun highway early or late, Ross Creek Cedars Park, Kootanai Falls May or June, Beartooth Highway, the curviest road in Montana goes through Yaak Montana with the chief hazard being wildlife on roads, Bears especially, and blind curves. Bighorn Canyon boat ride.

In Wyoming: Chief Joseph Highway, Alt 1? over the Bighorn Mountains, Devils Tower, Wind River Range from the west side, Beartooth highway, Grand Teton

markgoodrich

Well. ALL the information is greatly appreciated. Chemotherapy issues for one of the folks I'm going to visit look like they're going to cause an extended delay in my trip out there, probably forcing a flight to Portland rather than a leisurely ride.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions.

Archived