IGNORED

Crazy Speedo

AMARIDER

Speedometer went crazy on Saturday night riding back to Sacramento in the rain from IMS in San Jose. Started hearing a whiring sound and at a steady 60 mph the speedometer was jumping between 80 and 125 mph. I stopped for fuel and checked the cabling and front wheel but found nothing. After the fuel stop it all worked normally for the last 35 miles home.

I thought the cable may have come loose from the back of the speedometer but would that cause it to jump and read double my speed? Ideas?

thanks

I had that very thing happen on my '03 1150RT, including the magic reset after a stop. We replaced the cable and checked the take off at the wheel which was fine. The speedo was still crazy. Paul Mihalka said that it was most likely the instrument itself. After 30,000 miles of jumping bean behavior, it has mysteriously corrected itself and is now much more accurate than ever before. It has gone from reading a pretty consistent 5% high to being almost in line with GPS speed. confused.gifcrazy.gifdopeslap.gif

Funny timing!

Mine did it last summer for just a short while. Then every once in a while since, usually over 80 mph, it would start its dance.

However, I recommend you fix them immediately, or suffer my fate: On the way to a toy run last Sunday, it started its dance, but with more than its usual vigor and:

SNAP goes the needle!!! ( this should be sung to the Pop/Weasel tune)

I now have to get the whole instrument for sure bncry.gifeek.gif

Now I just have a little nub where my magnificent, long pointer used to be.

The odometer still works as advertised, but that little nub just doesn't cut it!

(Honestly Officer, I really don't know how fast I was going...)

russell_bynum

SNAP goes the needle!!! ( this should be sung to the Pop/Weasel tune)

I now have to get the whole instrument for sure bncry.gifeek.gif

Now I just have a little nub where my magnificent, long pointer used to be.

The odometer still works as advertised, but that little nub just doesn't cut it!

(Honestly Officer, I really don't know how fast I was going...)

Looks like this, huh?

28262284-M.jpg

Same thing happened to Jamie's bike when Mark and Christine were riding it to Laguna Seca. Personally, I think it was a technique issue on Mark's part.

thumbsup.gif

Looks like this, huh?
Wow! I know an RT has blindingly fast acceleration, but quick enough to break the needle off, that's impressive.
russell_bynum
Looks like this, huh?
Wow! I know an RT has blindingly fast acceleration, but quick enough to break the needle off, that's impressive.

Like I said, I'm pretty sure it was a technique issue.

No...wait....it was that awful horrible BUCKING AND SURGING that people keep talking about. It was so bad, it done went and bucked the needle plum off!

Looks exactly like that...

And I just made comments on Mark's techniques just moments ago!!!

I brought up the fact of how he seems to generate a lot of hand signals or "waves" from other drivers...

UpDate -

One of the Mechanics at my local dealer has seen this before. It's not the cabling but the gearing in the speedo itself, so a new speedo has been ordered and will be replaced under warranty. clap.gif

Archived