IGNORED

Not another tire thread!!!

Polo

No, just a specific question for those who may know.

I am about 6500 miles on my rear TIRE. And 8400 on the front. Bridgestone BT-023. I like'em.

I don't know the difference between the GT or non-GT.

I asked a source and they just told me that I didn't need the GT, but I could buy them if I wanted. OK!? I can buy knobbies if I want to, I can pour battery acid on my privates if I want to, but why would I?

Are Gt's better in any way as compared to non GT's?

I loved the grip, feel and feedback of the non-GT's what can I expect from the GT's?

I scoured the Bridgestone website and found no "Contact US" link.

TIA!

Guest Kakugo

Hi. The BT023GT was built specifically to address durability issues with some of the heavier bikes on the old BT021. If I remember correctly the Yamaha FJR and the Kawasaki 1400GTR/C14 were the main drivers. As many other Kawasaki and Yamaha owners mine were completely gone before 4000 miles, with the front shoulders worn to the bone (meaning no thread left whatsoever) by that mileage.

Technical differences are an extra belt in both tyres and a slightly different front thread pattern.

If you got no wear issues I'd say you can stick to the standard 023 and enjoy many more happy miles.

What he said. I had 023GT (acually a model specific code like "023F") on my ST1300 and FJR. I really liked them. They are designed to carry the extra weight of bike, 2 passengers and luggage. I only ever carried one rider (me) and luggage but I found the 023GTs to last a long time and provide excellent dry and wet traction. The RT isn't as heavy as those bikes so maybe the GT version isn't necessary. What does Bridgestone recommend?

As a side note, my 2011 RT came with B'stone 021s which are just awful. Traction seems OK but wear is terrible with the front going first. I'll get maybe 7,000 miles (soon) before they are toast. I'm careful about tire pressures and run what BMW recommends. I'm very disappointed in these and BMW for using them. Still, I'll consider the 023GTs when I re-tire.

pete

I placed the question to Bridgestone yesterday. I'm still waiting for answer, but the day is young.

If they tell me that I won't lose handling and grip, I'd love to get the extra mileage from the GT's.

Thanks for your replies.

Well, so far no reply from Bridgestone. I called their tech support number, and was read the application chart, but had no technical explanation as to why I do or do not want the GTs over the non-GT ones.

I researched and the FJR is 644 lbs., the Honda ST1300 730! mine 615, so it's in the neighborhood.

A mystery! I'll buy what ever is cheaper and report back in a few thousand miles.

...I can buy knobbies if I want to, I can pour battery acid on my privates if I want to, but why would I?...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Halelujah, brother! Sales literature never says anything useful.

Peter Parts

Reports on tires from bikers are notoriously all over the map, except maybe that website that averages tire lifetime reports. Riders will swear the worst-handling (but long-wearing tire) is ready for the track. Of course, for most of us, including me, the worst modern tire is better than we are able to test-to-the-limits anyway.

I'm a big fan of the BT023 for sport-touring use, esp. being able to run on lower pressure (that is, more comfort) without sacrificing excellent contemporary-level handling. You can almost use the low pressures BMW recommends!

But if they made changes to the "GT" to extend life, carrying capacity, or whatever, you really need to figure that is a new tire and different to an unknown extent. You (like me) might trust Bridgestone bike tires a lot and go for them, just saying.

Ben

Paul Mihalka

"Riders will swear the worst-handling (but long-wearing tire) is ready for the track. Of course, for most of us, including me, the worst modern tire is better than we are able to test-to-the-limits anyway."

Couldn't have said it better. Personal experience: On my R1100RT I was running a 17" rear wheel and the bias/belted ME880 designed for the K1200LT. From a tire I wanted mostly mileage, as long as the tire does not kill me. I signed up for one more Reg Pridmore's CLASS track school, at VIR. I did not mount sporty tires, I wanted to see how my every-day tires work. They took everything I could dish out without a misstep. Ended up seriously worn to the very edge, the rear tire had a blueish stripe around from heat. I wasn't the slowest guy on the track :grin: .

Lone_RT_rider
Ended up seriously worn to the very edge, the rear tire had a blueish stripe around from heat. I wasn't the slowest guy on the track :grin: .

Anyone that has had the priviledge to see Paul ride, knows exactly how understated that last sentence really is. :thumbsup:

Shawn

Paul Mihalka

Well, that was 10 years ago and things have changed. Today I would be the slowest guy. What they call a rolling chicane.

Well, that was 10 years ago and things have changed. Today I would be the slowest guy. What they call a rolling chicane.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Well if you're the rolling chicane, I'm the rock in the harbor.

According to the sales advertizing we should all be on tires that go 100,000 miles since every year they have "improved" mileage, and grip, and handling, and rain grip, and and and don't forget tread that wears to an angel shape!

:rofl:

Reminds me of all the gadgets invented to improve your gas mileage.

If you installed them all, you'd have to stop every 100 miles to empty the overflow canister!

On the BT023, the GT spec was specifically for heavier Sport Touring machines. Sounded like an RT to me so I run the 023GT on the front and the non GT 023 on the rear. The 023GT rear is only available in 180/55 if I remember. That is not compatible with my 02RT so like I said above, I run the GT spec on the front and the non GT spec on the rear. Great wet/dry grip and decent longevity.

Just to share my experience.

Bike: 2011 R1200RT

OEM Tires: BT021

Replaced at 3800 miles (tread worn flat on front and rear just left of center)

Replaced with: BT023 GT Front and Rear

These tires now have 3200+ miles on them ridden in similar conditions, 2 up some, no bags some, mix of long highway stretches as well as backroad romps.

Visually the rear shows wear but has deep tread left across the width of the tire. The front shows almost no wear. I could see getting 6000 total out the rear and that would be in line with the typical mileage I got running Z6's (single compound) and PR2's on my old R1150R.

For my usage I think the GT tire works better. I'm bigger than average, but not 300 pounds, so the my extra weight plus regular (at least 50%) passenger hauling burdens the tires. The extra stiffness of the GT tire seems to have helped me get mileage more in-line with my expectations of a sport-touring tire.

DSKYZD

On the BT023, the GT spec was specifically for heavier Sport Touring machines. Sounded like an RT to me so I run the 023GT on the front and the non GT 023 on the rear. The 023GT rear is only available in 180/55 if I remember. That is not compatible with my 02RT so like I said above, I run the GT spec on the front and the non GT spec on the rear. Great wet/dry grip and decent longevity.

I found the rear one too. Set of BT-023GT 120/70-17 & 170/60-17 in the garage waiting for the current set to give out.

Archived