IGNORED

clutch life time

Joe Durt

Evening Thomas

That depends--

Probably go 1,000,000 miles if it is never disengaged but ridden at constant speeds on the freeway.

About 60 seconds & 10 feet if stuck in a sand wash & slipped to destruction to get out.

The more the clutch is used & slipped the shorter it's life so all freeway riding = a long life & all city riding = a shorter life.

It all depends on the driver. Some never replace clutches, some every few years.

132,000 on mine and no worries. I inspected it at 107,000. Left it in place.

David

Wore mine out in 101k miles, but there were a lot of heavy commuting miles on it.

On the bright side, it gave me plenty of warning when it started to go. I had about 500 miles worth of warning from the first slippage to when it really shouldn't be ridden anymore

If you remove the starter, you should be able to get a measuring device into the space and measure the thickness of the friction disk. The minimum thickness is 4.5mm, which is what mine measured when I checked at 97,000 miles. However, when I actually pulled the clutch, it measured 5mm, so in theory I could probably have gone another 10,000 miles.

At 111,000 miles, you may as well have at it. Because it's so much effort to get in there, replace the entire clutch pack and do the job right.

If you plan to do the job yourself, the best advice I received was that it's not all that difficult, just tedious, with most of the work involved with splitting the bike and putting it back together. Replacing the clutch pack itself took me about 20 minutes.

Take LOTS of pictures as you go along; "before" pictures are a tremendous asset when you try to put everything back together. For example, I had one "leftover" connector for which I could not find a corresponding plug. Checking my digital photos, I found that the same connector was unused before I took the bike apart.

I'm at 172,000 on the original. Lots of those were highway miles.

Like others have mentioned, a lot depends on the type of riding.

It all depends on the driver. Some never replace clutches, some every few years.

132,000 on mine and no worries. I inspected it at 107,000. Left it in place.

David

I inspected mine at 104k, and was tooled up and ready to replace it. After measuring, I interpolated it has an easy 30-40k remaining. Ride two-up, loaded most of the time. Touring, not comuting.

Bruce (Bedford)

Oh dear only 40k (English miles??!!)but I'd only done the last thousand or so.

Maybe I have a hundred thousand to go - lets hope so!

Bruce

Archived