IGNORED

Replacing Handgrips on 2003 R1150RT

Hermes

The mice nipples nearly all the treads off my grips and I need to replace them. I have no clue how to get the old ones off and the new one on.

I would appreciate if someone could give me a short explanation.

Thanks

Ditto

Grip Puppies or similar will get you out of trouble cheap and the majority, including myself prefer the feel of the hand grips with them.

Afternoon Jurgen

To answer your question on how to get the old ones off-- start on the outside ends & s-l-o-w-l-y & evenly rolling the rubber grip back over itself. As the rubber rolls back use an exacto knife or razor blade & carefully split the rubber. If you put the bike in the sun for a couple of hours first that helps the grips peel off the heating elements easier.

Work slowly as the rubber will want to pull up a bit of the heating element covering. I have done a few & if careful it really won't hurt the heating element underneath. You can then use hair spray to both lubricate & glue the new ones on.

You will probably need to buy two (R/H) twist grip side grips as the L/H side is larger than the conventional left side due to the heating element under it.

Shiny Side Up

I kinda do what DR suggests.

I use a pocket knife (sharp one!!) Remove the bar ends - roll back the rubber at the bar end and start the knife towards the resevoirs - BLADE UP!! Work along slowly and take your time.

Only takes about 5 minutes to change out a grip - just be careful of the wires... if you whack those - well... you'll probably curse.

Ok, thank you All for your replies.

I think I will try to peel the grips off but if it looks and feels like trouble then it'll be Grip Puppies.

And since I will have to have hairspray anyhow in case I am succesful, my second project will be that awesome potatoe gun.

Win Win

And thanks for the link, a picture is worth a thousand ....

Afternoon Jurgen

To answer your question on how to get the old ones off-- start on the outside ends & s-l-o-w-l-y & evenly rolling the rubber grip back over itself. As the rubber rolls back use an exacto knife or razor blade & carefully split the rubber. If you put the bike in the sun for a couple of hours first that helps the grips peel off the heating elements easier.

Work slowly as the rubber will want to pull up a bit of the heating element covering. I have done a few & if careful it really won't hurt the heating element underneath. You can then use hair spray to both lubricate & glue the new ones on.

You will probably need to buy two (R/H) twist grip side grips as the L/H side is larger than the conventional left side due to the heating element under it.

+1

:thumbsup:

I don't know if this will work with heated grips, but a friend of mine that is a Yamaha mechanic taught me this trick for grips...

If you have an air compressor, put on a blow fitting (I don't know what else to call it!) and stick it just under the outside edge of the grip. Wrap your forefinger and thumb around the inside of the grip and then blow. Every time I've done this the grip slides right off. Repeat in reverse to put a new grip on.

First time he showed me I hit myself in the head because it was so simple.

Archived