IGNORED

My new "old" K1200RS

tom collins

tom collins

I have been away from this forum since I sold my RT in 08. Just got back into the BMW family with a sweet 2003 K1200RS with only 8,500 miles on the clock. Very nice after one day. I would like to post a picture, but don't see a place to add an attachment.

Tom

Tom, above the box where you type your post, there are numerous icons. The fourth from the left is for adding an image. If I hold my mouse over it, a little text-box appears saying, "Enter an image". Some people find it problematic to do though.

There is a forum page for making test posts:

"BMWSportTouring » Forums » ON YOUR MIND » Discussion Board Support » PLEASE Use THIS Thread for any of Your Testing--Thank You!"

The very next topic is:

"How to post a picture using picture hosting on the web"

Hope this helps.

Tom,

8.500 wow

which color?

after 39 years of boxers I went flying brick too

love my GT

pics aren't that hard so load 'em up

:wave:

tom collins

Tim, as you saw in my post, I have not been around here in over 4 years. Is it my imagination or are things much quieter then they used to be?

Tom

Tim, as you saw in my post, I have not been around here in over 4 years. Is it my imagination or are things much quieter then they used to be?

Tom

K bikes?

Or forum in general?

K's, for sure, fewer riders and problems compared to boxers.

Forum?

No politics and general damping of some types of discussion, not necessarily bad thing.

Still one of the better places to hang...

Congratulations on your new/used ride! Sold my K1200RS last month and I'm still in mourning. She had 78K miles (just broken in) and now all I can think of is another flying brick.

tom collins

did you just sell to get out for a while, or did you get something else? if so, what did you get? On Cycletrader.com, there were about a dozen all over the country, didn't check on the GT version of the bike.

Tom

..... I have not been around here in over 4 years. Is it my imagination or are things much quieter then they used to be?

Not your imagination.

We (bmwst.com) are dying.... Or so we've been told :P

Welcome back and stick around :wave:

BMW-K1200RS_mp2_pic_17798.jpg

:grin:

My wife/I had an 03 GT.

I called it the Bat Bike cause it looked like a bat & well, went like a bat outta Hell!!!!

did you just sell to get out for a while, or did you get something else? if so, what did you get? On Cycletrader.com, there were about a dozen all over the country, didn't check on the GT version of the bike.

Tom

Just puttering on my old Kwaker for now but looking hard at the new 1600. Puttering seems comfortable these days but I feel there will be a need for touring in the future! K1200RS is a fantastic bike, my all time favorite so far! I have owned three of them.

.......Not your imagination.

We (bmwst.com) are dying.... Or so we've been

Surely only the K section is dying. The R section seems as lively as ever.

Anyway, you know it's a boxer that you need ;-)

Andy

Andy

The K section is quiet only because those of us with these fantastic bikes, that are almost maintenance free, are out riding! :grin:

Andy

The K section is quiet only because those of us with these fantastic bikes, that are almost maintenance free, are out riding! :grin:

Zactly.

And K's put the sport in sport touring.

:grin:

• 4 months later...

So, due to circumstances beyond my control, my '85 K and I are going to part ways. I'm looking at acquiring a newer model. Would prefer a pre-'02 that has the non-linked, non-servo "whizzy" brakes. (Similar system to my '96 R1100RS.) Yet, may consider an '03-'04 with the linked system, and servo brakes.

I'm finding that some are RS models (02-04) as well as GT (03-05) and looks like the '03's and 04's would "overlap"..so what's the major differences between the two? I'm also a bit hesitant on the servo system, as that's been reported to only be "dealer serviceable" when attempting to bleed the system.

Also, is there any known way to "un-link" the system and still retain the ABS functionality?

I'm all ears....

GT compared to RS

starting w/"02 RS's adjustable pegs/grips turn signals integrated into fairing not add ons

GT has peg adjust but grips in one place unless using backs/risers (comparable to RS at full adjust approx)

some early '02-3 RS's had narrower rear wheel and different

rear suspension 5 1/2' was option

stock on GT I believe

came with (until last production run which had mishmash)

cruise

different saddle/heated (plusher/less dish)

thicker grips

color matched saddle bags (I've replaced w/touring lids for more Liters)

hand/leg body parts that can be added to an RS

(hand protectors worked if you had the euro style set up where the hands were lower and forward of the USA GT set up)

rubber lower add on to the side deflects some air

I rode RS/GT back to back leading demo rides and there is more weather protection on the GT with those parts

electric screen

stock RS screen shorter

stock GT screen was RS touring version, taller, flip at top

at my height the GT screen caused more buffeting than the stock RS

until I added a Laminar Lip to the GT which works fine

I also have a short ZTech for hot weather and an Aeroflow sport for cold/wet

used to run the stock RS most of the time but I'm sticking w/LL on GT for now

oil changes on both require dropping bottom of body work which means removing lotsa screws including one hard to reach

not too bad but...

typical FD/tran changes

tire wear a bit faster than boxer/depends on throttle and roads

but that seems to be consensus

840W on GT allows us to run 2 Gerbings liners and gloves

Autocom/Motolights/PIAAS etc

78,000 only had rear seal issue

mpg's vary by bike there was an ECU replacement for cold starters

I've seen/read of low 30's to upper 40's for mpg but numbers all over the place

On the K bike forum a replacement chip is available for not much $

to change old ECU unit and info on numbers to know what you have

5.4 tank w/both so if you have the low end you're looking at 150 miles and needing at 180ish

if you're north of 40 obviuosly 200+, I'm in the upper 30's and by habit look around 140-60 miles

there is more but that is basics

some body parts/cruise/electric screen/bags/saddle/grips/ergos

slight HP/tune dif or just weight but top end was @5mph higher

on RS I think, mine tends to slow down around 150 but the big saddle bags create a lot of drag and I usually have them on

older bridk version the '02-05 pull like trains in any gear/rpm

range unlike the newer K wedgies

Calvin (No Socks) had an early GT and has (?) a newer K S and is much more mechanically inclined than most around here

he knows a bit :grin:

some heat from both nothing too bad

I think I replaced horn w/FIAMM

on the RS you can go 2/dual set up but on the GT the windscreen motor is somewhat in the was but you can work around

my single works well IMO

oh, brakes

mine were done where I worked and the Service manager still does some work from his shop so he does mine

but they are doable at home

check the links at Pirates Lair for the service/how to section on these bikes

it covers a lot

good luck

Dennis Andress

The whizzy brakes aren't bad. I don't miss them, but I don't have bad feelings about them either. In fact, I prefer their way of simply "releasing" brake pressure when the ABS activates as opposed to the off and on cycling of most other systems. Flushing an EVO brake system is not difficult. There are more bleed nipples to open and close and some of them are hard to reach. There are also two "circuits" for each brake - one between the hand or foot control and the servo, the other between the servo and the caliper. Each is flushed interdependently.

The K1200 RS/GT is an improved version of you '85 - I had one of those too. There are significant engine management improvements from 2002 on. Try to look for an 04 or 05, they seem to have improved build quality.

The rear seal tends to leak. 04 and 05 bikes may have been assembled with the improved seal. If you don't get a later model ask if the seal was replaced.

Reminds me, there are two halves of the rear brake fluid reservoir and sometimes people miss/forget when doing brake work.

'03/'04 basically unchanged until last '04's we saw had a mix of the extras installed.

Few '05's, they were Silver I think, previus two years the green/blue models predominate with some red.

The brakes have saved me on more than once from stupid out of the dark animals and cage/trailer plus some rain and dumb/dumbers.

GT compared to RS

starting w/"02 RS's adjustable pegs/grips turn signals integrated into fairing not add ons ...............

check the links at Pirates Lair for the service/how to section on these bikes

it covers a lot

good luck

Good Summary! Still like mine.

NCS

I have had 2 1200RT's and very much liked them both. But I sold one and bought a new K1600GTL and WOW! What a bike! Stable as a rock, goes like stink, and looks great. Try one, you will like it.

GT

I have had 2 1200RT's and very much liked them both. But I sold one and bought a new K1600GTL and WOW! What a bike! Stable as a rock, goes like stink, and looks great. Try one, you will like it.

Too big and bulky for my taste, yet have acquired a new ride:

2003 K1200GT in very good condition, 30,550 miles, always garaged and well maintained with all records. BMW System cases in body color and extra large touring size. Custom made "Kathy's" liners that adjust to case body size. Aeroflow custom electrically adjustable windshield. Autocom System (intigrated system that handles intercom, cell phone, radar detector, IPod with 2 headsets). Mountain Sun Touring Tank Bag-Telecom 15 liter. Unique passenger backrest from "Pirates Lair K12". "Tankslapper" protective coating on tank. All standard features work

beautifully (heated seat and grips, cruise control, ABS brakes). New Metzler Roadtec Z6 tires at 26,645 plus an extra new rear Z6. Gel Battery under 1yr old. Clymer manual, new air filter and front disc pads included.

Looks Black, yet is midnight Blue. I'll be farkling this machine as time rolls on,(different windscreen, additional lights, etc.)

Not actually in my physical possession yet, perhaps next week end.

..can't wait to finish healing up to ride it.

3n93Kc3Mf5I75E55F9caj9e3b913bf97f167d.jpg

3Ma3F23L55L55G25K2cajbc9b23a88e271103.jpg

3M73Fc3H65Ia5Ge5J9caj23872d16d1851e1a.jpg

3L73Ie3Nf5N75Z65U2cajffc8d9f63ff41840.jpg

Dennis Andress
For those who may know, does this model year have the "can-bus" electrical system?

Nope. The way to tell is the key. CANBUS bikes have a longer key with a chip in the big end.

Very nice.

Actual color is Orient Blue.

Now get some RS mirrors, they look/work better.

I have the Pirates backrest too, but we use a GIVI 52 when riding two up so it isn't on bike (GIVI rear rack kit also doesn't work with it) but it is a very nick farkle

and ez to remove for solo.

:thumbsup:

No CANBUS, integrated brakes f = f/r

smoooooth ride.

Enjoy.

Now get some RS mirrors, they look/work better

From what year? These are round like the ones on the '96 RS. I've seen the "oblong" style, yet unsure of the year.

looks great. one of the reasons i bought the 03 rs was no canbus. i want to be able to work on it myself (and have).

tom

Archived