IGNORED

A Cherished Piece of My Past Is Gone

Les is more

Les is more

The father of my two sons died a week ago tonight. I have been reliving that portion of my life in slow motion over the last days. His wife, both of our sons and his brother were with him at his home during his final moments. He died holding his brother's hand. A bookmark made by our grand daughter saying "I love you Grandpa," sat on his chest rising and falling with his last breaths. Our youngest son (Kaylee's dad) lay down on the bed next to him just after he had breathed his last. He said that for the past year, his dad had been in enough pain from various tumors and bone cancer that he had been unable to hug him for fear of hurting him. He stroked his father's arms, rubbed his hands and put his cheek against his dad's. He said he saw the moment when the light left those bluest of eyes a dull grey.

This picture of intimacy is a boon to me. Both boys have provided steadfast love and support to their dad and his wife over the past months of his fight for life. He did no less for them from the moments of their births.

As I tell Kaylee, her Grandpa was a very special man and his love, his knowledge and his humor will live forever in our hearts.

Paul is on the left-his brother, Mark, on the right.

To leave this life with that much love around you speaks of a rich man. I am very sorry for his passing and for the loss this means to all of you. You are a gracious ex, but that does not surprise me.

SteveHebert

So sorry to hear this Leslie. You wrote a beautiful piece there describing a very loving man. Cherish your memories........

It sounds like he left a great legacy, but death is sooo hard. My thoughts and prayers are with you and the rest of his family.

Jay

beemerman2k
To leave this life with that much love around you speaks of a rich man. I am very sorry for his passing and for the loss this means to all of you. You are a gracious ex, but that does not surprise me.

This summarizes my thoughts as well.

Speaks to the beautiful nature of both of your souls.

May he rest in peace.

Very touchingly and tenderly stated, Leslie.

As I learned a bit after the passing of my father, only his immediacy has slipped my grasp. Of everything else he was to me, I have a tight hold. I hope your/his sons feel the same way.

Les is more

Both boys(men) attended to his every need at the height of his illness and both stated that they felt privileged and honored to have the opportunity.

They both felt their dad's heart open up completely as he realized that he was leaving this world. Damon said that he could have sworn he was transferring his whole heart and soul into his dad when he suddenly realized that is was the other way around. His dad was silently letting Damon be the repository for the precious content of his innermost feelings and knowing.

Paul told them both that he would be present in the wing beats of the birds around them and asked that when they were out enjoying the beauty of nature to just take him along in their thoughts, even for a moment. That will be his immortality.

if that's eternity, i'll take it. sorry for the loss leslie, but peace and love in the end will cradle his eternal soul as well.

Relationships with Ex’s can be over a whole range of emotions. Sounds like you have a good attitude about yours. Our thoughts are with you and your sons.

The reaction of your sons is a great tribute to their parents. I hope you all find peace in your memories.

...Paul told them both that he would be present in the wing beats of the birds around them and asked that when they were out enjoying the beauty of nature to just take him along in their thoughts, even for a moment. That will be his immortality.

Paul's legacy is a path we all should seek to follow. What a wonderful life he lived and a richness of love for his family to carry forward. Thanks for your post Leslie. Our thoughts are with you and your family.

Bill_Walker

I'm sorry for your loss, Les, but I think it's wonderful that your sons were able to stay so close to their father.

I always think of this Michoh Indian prayer at these times Les.

Do not stand at my grave and weep

I am not there. I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow.

I am the diamond glint on snow.

I am the sunlight on ripened grain.

I am the gentle autumn's rain.

When you awaken in the morning hush.

I am the swift, uplifting rush,

of quiet birds in encircled flight.

I am the stars that shine at night

Do not stand at my grave and cry.

I am not there. I did not die

Phil & Deb

A family so intimate, so full of affection and dedication, will never want for love ... it takes but a moment to recall a memory to reveal it's awesome power.

Les is more

Thank you, my friends for the beautiful and insightful thoughts and wishes. They truly help.

What a wonderful tribute to your family.

There is no limit on love and we don't have to stop loving one person to love many, many more.

I hope you have good memories to comfort you in this difficult time.

Archived