IGNORED

Expensive gearbox noises

Paul Mihalka

Paul Mihalka

Well, my '05 R1200GS got bad noises that I'm sure is gearbox bearings. Not too loud at idle, goes away with the clutch pulled, loudest when riding and and slowing down with engine braking. Bike has close to 170K but the gearbox "only" about 100K. I'll keep you all posted where I go from here.

Paul Mihalka
Old farm remedy. Put 1/2 cup oatmeal in to trans and sell it. :rofl:

How much will you give me for it? :grin:

Paul Mihalka

Ordered gearbox on ebay, from 8.000 mile '06 R1200RT, $700. Seller has 100% rating, full satisfaction guarantee. Fingers crossed that it is a good one.

Paul.. I have over 1000+ transactions on eBay (99% buying) and I can actually say that since 1999 when I first started buying I could count on one hand the amount of times something didn't go right... (literally, less than 5 times.. and even then, all were finally resolved to my satisfaction)...

Chances are you'll be good.

I've done plenty of e-bay transactions with no issues also.

Hope the box turns out fine.

All in all, considering miles I suppose it could be worse. $700 isn't cheap but beats heck out of some of the other options..

Install cost issues?

Don't know anything about the cost of rebuilding BMW boxes- never worn one out- but I've killed a few car manual trannies (mostly from trying to jam twice as much power through them as designers intended) to know I like well done rebuilds. They can be as good as new at a reasonable price on some cars. Worth doing to make a spare or resaleable unit?

• 2 weeks later...
Paul Mihalka

Just rode the bike home from my favorite dealer (I work there :grin: ) with the ebay gear box installed. Everything works like it should! :thumbsup:

Archived