IGNORED

My brother's "Celebration of Life" ceremony

beemerman2k

beemerman2k

First of all, I want to thank you all for your support during my time of crisis. Every one of you made a significant contribution to my sanity whether you were aware of it or not. On May 12th, my younger brother, a fitness guru, passed away of a heart attack in the midst of a tennis tournament. A most unexpected way for him to die. This web community served as a huge source of strength and encouragement for me. So again, I thank you all!

My brother was a physician, and a huge proponent of a healthy diet and plenty of exercise. He often argued that this lifestyle was the best health insurance going, protecting one from common illnesses and mental health problems as well. He was rather extreme if you ask me; 2 week lemon juice cleansing diets and so on. He often argued, "why not plan to live to 100?"

My brother was also my best friend; we shared everything with each other, and helped each other get through our tough times in life. In fact, when I was deep in mourning his death, I still found myself reaching for my cell phone so I could call him, as I always did when I was troubled. Only this time, I would realize that his demise was the reason I was so stricken! :dopeslap:

The service was held on May 28th at the Buerge Chapel in the Pacific Palisades, CA, just north of his Santa Monica apartment. This place served as the perfect location for this gathering.

In honor of Michael's life and values as a physician, we donated his organs to science and research, and the rest of him was cremated. Also, there are 2 videos in the photo album. The first is a video of Michael, Jr, playing a Led Zeppelin piece that his father loved, and in his father's honor. The second video, which I cannot yet watch, is a montage assembled by his daughter. It's a great overview of his personality, but when I hear his voice, I feel overwhelmed. Someday I'll watch it, but not now. You can, however, so enjoy!

Thank you all for your suggestions on locations in which to hold this service, too.

In this photo album, you'll see picture from the memorial service, misc pictures of beautiful Santa Monica, CA, and also a trip Michael, Jr and I took to Anaheim to visit the very tennis court where my brother collapsed and died.

Here's a link to Michael Granberry's remembrance.

This whole episode is like a bad joke and I'm waiting for the punch line, or a bad dream and I'm waiting to wake up. Unreal.

It's a beautiful tribute and remembrance, Jim. I appreciate your sharing it here with us. Because he matters to you, he matters to us. Such a good man to be gone so soon.

I think of that haze we walk in after losing a loved one as being in a protective shield. It's like a cushion that helps keep all the sharp jabs from getting the best of us. You can certainly think of us as a part of that shield. There are many arms around you and your family. Peace.

First of all, I want to thank you all for your support during my time of crisis. Every one of you made a significant contribution to my sanity whether you were aware of it or not. .....

These folks are really great for that!

My condolences on your loss.

So sorry for your loss James. Your brother sounds like quite a man.

"Fear is a misuse of the imagination."

Love that quote. Hope you don't mind if I use it.

I wish I had grown up next door to the Granberry family. I would be a better person if I did.

I'm sorry for your loss, James.

your bro left many folks with lasting memories. he obviously had the ability to connect with people. you had a special bond as brothers. that bond never goes away.

hang in there.

Your brother made such an impact on so many, beautiful tribute. Sending good thoughts your way. Life is quick so treasure every second.

Shiny Side Up

beemerman2k

I watched the remembrance - He was a man loved and respected.

Death is something we all will eventually deal with on a personal level. The tragic thing is that we don't know when that will occur.

Make the most of today for tomorrow is not promised.

My heart and prayers go out to you and your family for your loss.

Stay close - support each other - be thankful for your family that you can comfort each other.

So sorry to hear about your brother. Looks like he was quite a guy. A few years ago, I lost two of my three sisters within three years of each other. We knew the first death was coming although it arrived sooner than expected. The second was unexpected, so I can relate. It still hurts and I think about them both every day but it does get better...

Obviously a life well lived!

Thanks for sharing his life with us. What a privilege to be brothers.

beemerman2k

Thank you all for your kind words about my brother. His certainly was a live well lived.

He did not like motorcycles. More accurately, he did not like motorcycles mixing it up with the kind of drivers that we have today. As an ophthalmologist, he would tell me that if I was aware of how poor the eye sight was on some of the drivers out there, that I'd hesitate to drive at all, let alone ride a motorcycle. In fact, working with him at his LASIK clinic in LA, he introduced me to a woman who literally could not see anything directly in front of her without turning her head to the right or to the left. Otherwise, she had no idea as to what was directly in front of her. Imagine you're sitting at a traffic light and she comes up from behind you driving her SUV? :eek: Michael wanted me to meet her so I could have an idea as to what we're dealing with out there with respect to drivers on our public roads.

Occasionally he would call me, and I'd tell him that I'm at a motorcycle gathering of some sort (bike night, BMW rally, whatever). His typically reply, "Oh, where's it being held, LA County Hospital?" To him, the greatest concentration of motorcyclists in one place was in the ER's all over the country :smirk:

I think he might have tempered his thinking when I logged over 60K of incident free miles on the roads and freeways of Los Angeles. It's dangerous, but not impossible. There are things you can do to increase your odds of avoiding collisions. Certainly not always, but usually this is the case.

Decades ago, I taught him how to ride on my Kawasaki KZ 400. He did well and enjoyed the experience, but he never got the bug like I did.

Rest in peace my brother. I ain't gonna lie to you, you missed out on some great rides! But that's OK, you had a different path to forge, and you did so wonderfully :thumbsup:

Archived