IGNORED

changing fuel filler tubes on an r1150rt??

Scarecrow

I have wanted to change out the filler tube on my 1150rt for one from an 1100rt for awhile. I see beemerboneyard has one available. It looks like this: ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=6001&filename=r1100rt gas filler.jpg

My question is what is that big black thingee and what do I do with it? Does is have an analog in the 1150 filler tube? I thought it would just be the metal part. Is this a bigger project than I thought? (and don't forget I mostly have 10 thumbs).

TIA,

Afternoon Scarecrow

That is an early type of fuel tank roll-over tank vent valve. The 1150 has a similar but different looking roll-over valve.

I haven't ever tried to put an 1100 tank filler assembly into a later 1150 tank so have no idea if it will work or not.

Bruce (Bedford)

I had mine out recently - I can't remember what the lump was but there was a lumpy thing! :dopeslap:

HOWEVER a couple of points from my experience;

1, drying the o ring for two days on a radiator or in the sun on an absorbent cloth DOES work & the o ring shrinks to fit!! :clap:

2, you might want to drill the filler tube to get that last little bit of fuel in the tank.

Cheers

Bruce

I have wanted to change out the filler tube on my 1150rt for one from an 1100rt for awhile.

Just curious...why?

Here is the comparison between the 1100 & the 1150 tank roll over units.

Andy (ps thanks to who ever posted this picture)

6002.jpg.bb40ee2b1da39170e48b7393e70de80c.jpg

Stan Walker

Is this a bigger project than I thought?

I did this many years ago to my '02 R1150RT. It all fits just fine. I do seem to recall having to reroute the hoses as the attachment points are in different locations.

And yes, you keep the big black thingy. As DR rider says, it's just an early version of the device that prevents fuel from flowing out the vent tube.

Rumor has it that punching a hole in your existing unit is the easiest solution. Drilling with an electric drill near gas vapors can lead to a thrilling experience!

Stan

Thanks to all for the responses.

As for why: to make it easier to fill up that last bit. I hate the drip drip drip it in when I reach almost-but-not-really-full point.

Bruce - I figured I would order a new o-ring, but it's good to know the old one may still be useful.

Stan - I heard about drilling a hole in the existing unit, but I'm not sure I want the "thrilling experience" of using a drill near gas vapors.

Thanks again everyone. . .

The next thing for me would be to see when the next tech days in my area will be so I have people with less than 10 thumbs around to help me if I get into trouble.

• 3 weeks later...
I did this many years ago to my '02 R1150RT. It all fits just fine. I do seem to recall having to reroute the hoses as the attachment points are in different locations.And yes, you keep the big black thingy.

Stan

I ordered the part from beemerboneyard and expect it to show up in a couple of days. Any tricks/tips about rerouting the hoses? Do they go on and off easily? I usually have Mr. Murphy looking over my shoulder when I try to do anything mechanical, so any help is much appreciated.

TIA,

Steven

Stan Walker

. Any tricks/tips about rerouting the hoses?

You are asking someone who can't remember what he had for breakfast this morning....... :dopeslap:

Seriously, that was many years ago and I really don't recall the details of what I had to do. Must not have been too bad or I would remember more!!! Keep in mind that my "not too bad" might be your nightmare! :)

Stan

OK. Got the part and now have a question about the metal tubes hanging off the bottom. One seems like it goes directly to the little vent hole (blue arrow), the other one goes into the floaty thingee (red arrow). (sorry for the lack of focus)

fillertube1.jpg

and

fillertube2.jpg

What do they connect to? I would have thought the vent hole would just be open, and the other tube's end just goes into the black thing. If they get connected together, why wouldn't it just be one tube? if not, what should they go to? I'm guessing the original filler tube will have analogous tubes, but before I open it up, I thought it would be nice to know.

TIA,

Steven

Evening Steven

The one going to the hole in the fill ring just inside the filler cap area is the WATER DRAIN. That hooks to a rubber hose that runs through the inside of the fuel tank then through the fuel pump plate then exits under the motorcycle behind the foot peg. (basically just a water drain for the filler cap area)

The one going to that black thingy (the rollover valve) is the ACTUAL TANK VENT. That hooks to a 2nd hose running though the inside of the fuel tank, then out through the fuel pump pass through, then WENT to the evap canister at the rear of the bike. If the evap can has been removed then it just exits behind the foot peg just like the water drain hose.

Keep them separate & correctly hooked up so water from the cap area doesn't end up inside the fuel tank.

roger 04 rt

I'll be taking and posting some photos tomorrow when I put my R1150RT fuel system back together. The hoses aren't hard to get off and on but they are clamped with oetiker style clamps. Be careful not to damage the vent lines, and use it as an opportunity to check their condition. If you have original hosea, they may be swollen or degraded. In which case they start to leak. Check out my thread if you haven't already.

I'm looking forward to your pictures. Are you saying the lines inside the tank, the ones attached to the tubes I pointed out on the filler piece have clamps? I am not prepared for that! I may need to do some more shopping.

roger 04 rt

Yes, the vent and drain lines inside the tank have clamps at the top near the filler neck and clamps at the bottom at the fuel plate. All four clamps are inside the tank. The photos are in my repair thread but when I took the photos, I hadn't attached the clamps but they're on now.

Are you saying the lines inside the tank, the ones attached to the tubes I pointed out on the filler piece have clamps?

B0004711.jpg

You have the new to you part off the bike. Drill that vent hole before you mount it onto the tank. Whether you do or not, you are going to an awful lot of work for a very slight gain IMO.

Changing the r1150rt fuel filler tube for the r1100rt tube…

Just to not keep anyone in suspense, yes, I was visited by Mr. Murphy. It was not any surprise to me. Let’s start with my mistaken thought that all I would have to do is unbolt the 6 bolts holding the gas cap on and lift out the old filler tube and put in the new one. What a dummy! Of course not, first you have to remove all the Tupperware. Ok, did that and only broke off one little piece of plastic holding on the black cover surrounding the lift handle.

Managed to get the old one out after a little struggle getting out the white plastic thingee which was entirely different than the replacement black plastic thingee. And yes the 2 hoses did indeed have clamps on them. And no, I did not really expect that. (but thanks to roget 04 rt and dirtrider for the warning and the pictures, although I didn't see them in time)

But my 1 piece of luck, against Murphy’s best wishes, was that I had actually ordered the New Oilhead Fuel Filter Change O-Ring & Hose Clamp Kit from the beemerboneyard where I had also ordered the r1100rt fuel filler tube. At the time I knew I needed the O-ring for the cap, but I figured what the heck, I might just as well order the whole thing. Glad I did as it did come with clamps for the 2 hoses attaching to the filler tubing.

So I attached the hoses and tried to get the whole thing back inside the gas tank. And then Mr. Murphy stuck his 2 cents in. It turns out the black plastic floatee thingee isn’t really attached all that well to the little tube on the filler piece. Nooooooo. It fell off inside the tank. Well there you are.

About 45 minutes of cursing later, I finally managed to get it out of the tank. And no matter how hard I stuck it back on, it always seemed to be on the verge of falling off again. I took some silicone self sticking tape and held it on with that. I’m just hoping that doesn’t turn out to be a disaster.

I managed to attach the hoses, clamped them down, and got everything back into the tank along with the new O-ring. I had a hard time getting everything back together. I finally bolted down the top piece of Tupperware (this was the first time I ever had removed that particular piece; up until now I never did more than remove the 2 large side pieces. Heck, I didn’t even know that piece came off). And then I struggled lining up the filler tube and the cap itself until I finally got that on. Took me about 20-30 minutes to do that alone. (As I’ve mentioned, most of my digits are thumbs.) Then I unbolted that part of the tupperware and put the rest of the Tupperware went back on relatively easily. I only broke off some little piece of plastic from the mirror housing, but I can’t identify what it is or where exactly it came from.

And that’s the story. Only about 5-6 hour’s work to do something I’m sure it should only take an hour to do. But it’s done! Hurray.

{tomk99r11: No, I didn't drill more holes in the replacement tube. I thought about it before installing it, but I didn’t want to push my luck any more than I had to.}

I hope it works as you had hoped. Besides, you got to wrench on your bike which brings a sense of accomplishment (and sometimes frustration) as we all know. Good for you.

Archived