IGNORED

Throttle advance lever

awagnon

My throttle advance lever cable on my 2004 1150GS is adjusted all the way out and the lever still doesn't speed up the engine unless you hold it all the way up. I've adjusted all the other cables to specifications. Any suggestions other than replacing the throttle advance cable? I have no idea if the previous owners changed cables or not. Maybe the wrong cable or just stretched. Bike only has about 30,000 miles on the odo.

You probably have too much slack in your lower throttle cables. I don't know the spec, but if it's much more than "almost none" your fast idle lever will just take up the slack.

Morning Al

When saying the "advance lever cable is adjusted all the way out" are you referring to the adjustment UNDER the rubber boot on the choke cable up by the handlebar lever? If not then slide the boot back & make your fast idle adjustment there.

If you are referring to that adjustment & it is all the way out then you have your main throttle cables adjusted incorrectly. To do them correctly you need to FIRST back the adjuster off on the cable going to the twist grip (up by the twist grip itself), then take the slack out of the lowers at the TB cams. What usually happens is the upper adjuster at the twist grip is not pre-set correctly so that throws the entire cable group setting off including the fast idle cable adjustment.

Thanks, both of you for the replies. There is almost zero slack in the lower cables. About 1 mm. However, I'll repeat the adjustment starting with the upper throttle cable all the way out and see if that helps. I'm on the road at the RA rally in Colo, so won't get to it until I get home tomorrow.

Yes, DR. The adjuster for the throttle advance under the left grip and inside the rubber boot is screwed all the way out until it's just barely threaded on. No adjustment left on that side. I'll try what you said. Thanks.

Well, D.R. I owe you one. When I got home from the RA rally, I loosened all the cables and started over with the adjustment and throttle body balance dance. The main throttle cable was too tight and now all is well. The throttle advance works perfectly. As always, I'm humbled by your knowledge and glad to learn something new about my bikes.

Off topic a little, the throttle on my '04 1150GS with 30K miles doesn't work nearly as smoothly as my '02 1150RT with 70K miles. However, the main throttle cable on the RT was replaced at about 35K miles. I know the cables should not be lubricated. How about under the twist grip? Should it get cleaned and lubed or the cable routinely replaced at a certain interval?

Thanks again for your help.

Morning Al

Yes, do clean under the twist grip tube then lightly lubricate that area with something like Tri-Flow or other non petroleum based Teflon based lubricant (do not use Dupont Multi-Use with Teflon as that stuff remains waxy/tacky & can get gummy over time. Personally I prefer Tri-Flow.

Under the twist grip is the usual place they get higher resistance so is a real good place to start looking.

Archived