IGNORED

Big mistake! Test rode a GTL.

Dietrich

Some time ago I bought a slightly used 2011 GTL from a Honda dealer for my store to sell. Previous owner's wife did not like the rear seat comfort, so they ended up with a Goldwing instead. I rode a 1200GS and was quite happy with it. Could not resist to take this puppy out for a short ride though. What a huge surprise! It handles so nimbly despite it's weight of about 750 pounds. Cornering is a delight and the power and sound are amazing. Smooth as silk at any speed. Needless to say, I fell for it. Sold the GS within a week as well as my 2011 Guzzi Norge and I am now riding a nearly new GTL. Even the seat is acceptable with no need to upgrade and with my 29" inseam I can easily flatfoot the bike with the low seat. The electronics take getting used to. Bluetooth is temperamental. I added a GPS which works fine but is not always easily visible, depending on the light conditions. Still working on getting the sound into my helmet via Uclear device. Looking forward to the first long trip in July heading for Sedelia. See you there. (I will post some pictures once I have the needed software re-installed on my computer).

Looking forward to the first long trip in July heading for Sedelia. See you there.

Gonna be lonely if you show up in Sedelia. You might want to try Salida instead ;)

Paul Mihalka

Confusion again: BMWMOA rally in Sedalia MO, or bmwst.com Unrally in Salida CO? Both in July. I had a K1600GT for a 500 mile weekend. Amazing bike. If I wasn't looking for lighter and lighter bikes, I would be tempted!

Paul, I rode a 650GS twin the other day and was impressed. Light and nimble and good power as well. I will probably end up with another lighter bike as a second ride. Just got a 1975 Velosolex5000, 49cc. I am sure you know those. What a riot, just a toy of course, but turns the neighbours heads :-)

Paul Mihalka

Hijack: Velosolex-ha-ha-ha! My dream at 16 was a Ducati Cucciolo. No go, but at 20 I had a real bike.

images-3.jpg

images-3.jpg

Wow, if I get one of those my Dad might not suspect I'm riding again! :grin:

Congratulations on the new ride Dietrich. Test riding bikes is a lot like going to the pound, to just look at puppies.

Never test ride anything that you intend to buy. :dopeslap:

I thought that trick would work when the demo truck was at the local dealer three years ago. I thought the only bike "safe" to demo was the K13S. After all, I'm a devoted Boxer guy, right? So, last month, a dealer offered me a nice demo, take it out Saturday afternoon and return it Monday morning. The only catch was that she limited me to 250 miles. I guess she knows me pretty well. I thought I was safe when the bike was sold, only to find out another one has appeared on the lot. Crap. I can't get that bike out of my mind.

So, even demo riding a bike you never intend to buy doesn't always work, either.

Guest Kakugo

My dealer invited me to test the GT version last year. It was fully loaded (hence GPS, radio etc) hence worth a ton of money.

Great machine, though there were a couple of things I didn't like, namely the OE Metzeler (easily fixed) and wind protection (not so easily fixed). I also had a few doubts about tank range (the bike had incredibly low fuel consumption for being a 6 cylinder, 1600cc 160 HP monster but the tank is a bit small), throttle sensitivity and was taken aback by the weighed clutch.

Compared to it, a Goldwing feels like a milk truck next to a sport sedan.

As much as I like the bike I wouldn't buy it however, I prefer the RT. :)

One of the lines one of my senior sales person loves to use is: "Just take the puppy home." It works just about every time.

Archived