IGNORED

the itch has been scratched

Missouri Bob

Missouri Bob

I've been wanting one of these since their first year, 1972. This one is a '76 and it was just too good to pass up.

In 1973-74, I had a GT550. When I first started up this GT750, its two-stroke exhaust aroma brought back the memories. Time travel just might be possible.

Bob

DSCN0439.jpg

I remember how huge those "water buffaloes" seemed when they were new. I saw one a few years ago and compared to some of today's bikes, the Suzuki seemed rather small.

My Dad will be thoroughly jealous when I show him this picture. When he was in the Navy, he brought one of those back from Japan in 1971 (yes, a year BEFORE they were available stateside). As he tells it, he put almost 30k miles on it the first year while cruising around Southern CA. He eventually wadded it up in a field doing something stupid. He spent a few weeks in the hospital, got out, fixed it up, and sold it. He has always talked about trying to find another one.

BTW......another tidbit.....never leave home without a fresh sparkplug, or 6 :grin:. Apparently that middle cylinder was murder on them.

markgoodrich

Ah, man. Why'd you have to go and do that? I bought a brand new 1972 model, with the drum front brakes, for $1,200, and got them to throw i a genuine Bell helmet. Stepping up from the Suzuki 500 Titan twin, the thing felt gigantic. I loved it, rode it for three years, sold it for...$1,200 so we could go travel in South America. Still miss it.

Yours is beautiful.

Missouri Bob
I love the smell of a two-smoke in the morning....

Congratulations. I guess we will see it in Salida... (?)

Salida? Maybe. I need to ride it a bit more before I'll be able to trust it for a road trip. Although the look, the sound, and the aroma are just what I wanted, the GT750 does not have modern brakes, suspension, or reliability.

Bob

GT750 photos

When I first started up this GT750, its two-stroke exhaust aroma brought back the memories.

I know the feeling too Bob! I grew up on 2-stroke motorcycles with 4 Suzuki's including a 75' T-500, a Kawasaki, a Yamaha & a Bultaco thrown in the mix. I went to the Barber Vintage weekend in 06', 10' and 11' and smelled more 2 cycle smoke in 11' than I had in over 40 years! It does smell like ............Victory :thumbsup:, in the morning!

Archived