IGNORED

Phil is on His Way Jacksonville!!!

Les is more

Les is more

Changing this from a ride plan to a ride tale. The journey has begun. Much to the amusement of a local surfer, The man in the snowboarding suit literally dipped his toes in the Pacific this morning at about 6:15.

Dennis (Bigfish) was there to ride with Phil for the first tank and provide documentation with what appeared to me (at that early hour) to be 7 or 8 cameras mounted on various parts of his bike and person. Seeing him with his riding gear on and a camera mounted on the top of his helmet, I had the distinct impression that one of the Teletubbies had come to witness Phil's departure. I believe that the two of them walking up from the water, so attired, caused a psychotic break in one of the perennially, illegal substance soaked, Ocean Beach sea wall sitters as several police officers showed up to quell his ravings. A dramatic start to what I hope is a smooth, enjoyable and otherwise uneventful trip.

The man is riding with a heart filed with love and a noble cause.

Go Phil, GO!!!

I hope he's not too uncomfortable. At 15:31, he's near Deming, NM, and the local temp according to the NWS is 95F, and it's 100F in El Paso.

Ugh.

Yea, Its going to be a warm trip for Phil. It was great to be able to ride the first leg with him. Phil didn't even take a bathroom break or remove his helmet. He's pretty hard core.

Stay tuned for some video of the first leg. If I don't get it done tonight, look for it tomorrow.

GO PHIL GO!!!!! Stay COOL my friend.

Stay tuned for some video of the first leg. If I don't get it done tonight, look for it tomorrow.

Looking forward to that.

Just gave him a call. Must be out of service area as I got voice mail. Left him an encouraging message. I encourage all to do likewise. Once he stops in a good area, he'll get all our messages. That'll be a real lift. He'll be getting into the hard part real soon. The sun is about to go down, & he's been on the road in the heat now for fifteen plus hours.

West Texas in the dark is not a friendly place. Help him along, folks.

Firefight911

Thank you Leslie!! Very well stated! I am on the phone with hubs right now and he sounds really good! He has been drinking tons of water and a few gatoraids at the fuel stops. He said the food stops have been good but was bummed that after a certain point there was no more fruit available. LOL. He is just coming up to Fort Stockton TX, it's a cool 86 degrees there He expects arrival to Whip's around 2 or 3 AM. Thank you everyone for following and supporting him! I am so proud of him. :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Looks like he will have somewhat cooler temps today, but chances of thunderstorms as he travels along the Gulf Coast.

Let's all send good thoughts his way and I'm sure the JAX crew will give him a big welcome.

Got here around 3:30am was gone before 10. He looked good and is in great spirits.

Fabulous! Hey, where are the photos Whip?

:grin:

bugsplatter

Weather east of Houston and into Lafayette, Louisiana is a bit messy, but appears to be more isolated storms than a massive system.

Got here around 3:30am was gone before 10. He looked good and is in great spirits.

Fabulous! Hey, where are the photos Whip?

:grin:

Sorry....did not even cross my mind.

We were both kinda tired.

:wave:

My butt is hurting just sitting here viewing his tracker movement since he started out. Bet that seat feels like pineapple by now.

I just talked to him and he sounds GREAT! He took a break and says he might have eaten a little more than he needed, but then he hit a rain shower and he perked right up. I asked him about the "heat vs. humidity" thing and he pointed out that he grew up in Michigan, so right now, it felt like that, only in August.

I swear I could hear this big grin on his face right through the phone, he sounded that good.

Keep sending him the good vibes and he'll be on the East Coast soon!

When will it be 50 hours ?

Somewhere around 09:15 Eastern time Friday.

I think it is more like 11 AM EST. I think the Spot is recording/showing EST time zone.

Paul Mihalka
When will it be 50 hours ?

Somewhere around 09:15 Eastern time Friday.

He started around 6am Pacific time = 9am Eastern - so around 11am Eastern is the limit.

roadscholar

That sounds better. At his current progress I'm figuring an ETA about 4am, which is roughly an hour and a half sooner than Richard.

But he got pulled over by some LEO's, blue lights and all, in Tallahassee and was forced to sit there for an hour consuming donuts and coffee. Turned out they were from BMWST. :grin:

Then we wasted another half hour at the Awful House on 301.

Things have a way of getting funky near the end, but so far he's making it look easy.

roadscholar

Wow!!!

Hey I almost called you last night to see if you'd go out and pull a fuse or mess with his wiring a little, he really is making it look too easy, was thinking a little adversity could spice things up. Damn Yamaha's :grin:

Just kidding, besides there's a 250 mile swath of big weather over here at the moment, looks like a fair amount in Louisianna too.

Go Phil Go!

Nasty weather indeed for the next 50 or so miles. We've had high winds and a lot of cloud to ground lightning along his path on the interstate.

The good news is that construction was finalized on the portion of I-12 leading out of Baton Rouge that normally blocked traffic to a crawl from 4:30 to 6:30.

Keep smiling Phil!

Probably Beach Hut Cafe on 3rd St."

OK. I am in St. Mary's camping, so I can be there tomorrow. Is he really arriving at 0430?

Chris

Probably Beach Hut Cafe on 3rd St."

OK. I am in St. Mary's camping, so I can be there tomorrow. Is he really arriving at 0430?

Chris

If he's as early as it looks like, Beach Hut Cafe is out. I don't think they even start making biscuits that early. We may have to treat him to a Denny's somewhere.

Just spoke with Phil. He has hit rain and expects the weather to last through the entire state. Sounded great and was stopped for a bit to put his rain gear on.

He's about to get back on the 12 as I finish this post. GO Phil.

If he's as early as it looks like, Beach Hut Cafe is out. I don't think they even start making biscuits that early. We may have to treat him to a Denny's somewhere.

In that case Bill might need a Cherry Cola or two... :)

Looks like he's stopped for a bite to eat north of NOLA.

Dumping cats & dogs with lightning & thunder here right now . Hope it's gone by mid morning.

Just off the phone with him. He's just west of Gulfport, Ms, & the weather is great. He's in good spirits, albeit hungry. Expect to see his headlight on the west side of Jax around 4 in the morning.

Just off the phone with him. He's just west of Gulfport, Ms, & the weather is great. He's in good spirits, albeit hungry. Expect to see his headlight on the west side of Jax around 4 in the morning.

We know your group will take good care of him, Danny.

terryofperry

Danny

I know he is making great time but that would be something to make it by 4 from that distance at this stage considering the long night. 465 miles from Biloxi in 6 and a half is over a 70 mph average.

Pulling for him fervently.

Terry

Danny

I know he is making great time but that would be something to make it by 4 from that distance at this stage considering the long night. 465 miles from Biloxi in 6 and a half is over a 70 mph average.

Pulling for him fervently.

Terry

Mapquest says 449 miles from Gulfport, Ms to Maclenny, Fl. We plan to pick him up between Maclenny & the west side of Jax. Hence my math. Jax Beach is almost another hour.

Don't confuse me, I suck at math. :P

terryofperry

Yeah, me too. Taking some breaks and rolling in around 7 would be ok with me. Of course he knows his body and I do not. From 2 am to 5 am is a bear on the mind.

Praying for him to safely arrive, as we all are.

Keep us posted and let him know a lot of people are following along.

Terry

Archived