IGNORED

Warm/Hot Weather Jacket

Pennys Dad

Hi everyone

Late last year my Vanson perforated jacket had a few mechanical issues and I decided to retired it after about 7 years of use in hot weather, plus it was much to big for me now.

Any how with warm and hot weather rides coming back around I am looking to get a new warm weather jacket.

I have experimented enough over the years to know I dont like straight mesh jackets and I would like it to be a little flexible, meaning if I am riding through Vegas and it is 110 then it is serving well and if I ride far enough to start crossing a 10k peak and drop into 65 degree weather then I can put in a liner or shell cover and ride in reasonable comfort.

So I am hoping the many minds in this forum will some idea's to offer.

This maybe a holy grail hunt but who knows.

Thx!

I have had an Olympia Bonneville for two years now, and while we have no 10K peaks here in the east, I have used it for rides from over 100 degrees down to the 40's once I put in the liner and add another layer or two. The current Airglide jacket seems to be the one that matches specs with my older Bonneville.

I tested the durability in a get off 18 months ago and while the insurance company paid me to replace it, it had done it's job both in impact and asphalt contact. I did not have any injuries within the area of the jacket at all.

I have a BMW Airflow 3 suit and also wanted a little more flexibility so I purchased the BMW Airshell (Hi Viz) and have been very pleased with the results. We don't get the heat you experience often but it is cooler than the Airflow 3 jacket (Black) with the sun blazing and higher temps and when the temp drops to the 60's I install the liner and I'm good to go.

:lurk:

I recommend Cycleport Air Mesh Kevlar. I have had my suit for 6 years and it is still looking good. I used it last weekend at the RCR. Mornings in the 40's with a Gerbings liner (unplugged) underneath and took the Gerbings off once it got in the 70's. I also do the occasional track day and you can use this suit zipped together in place of leathers. Great protection and great air flow.

I just purchased a Rev'It Tornado jacket, and so far, I like it a lot. Lots of mesh for the hot days, and an insulated waterproof liner for when it is cooler. Decent adjustments for fit. A bit strange that the zipper is "left-handed", but I am getting used to it. The back pad that comes with it is useless, so I bought a Knox pad to replace it. It is quite comfortable and seems like it will be good protection if needed.

Afternoon Jacob

I know this doesn't directly answer your question but just tossed out as an alternative.

So far I haven't been happy with any of the combination mesh / cool weather lined jackets.

I like my mesh very cool & extremely flow through for hot weather riding. About all I wear all summer is a true mesh.

What I have been doing for years now is wearing a sweater under my mesh on cool mornings then taking the sweater off as it gets hotter. If I need extra protection for real cold like going over a mountain top or occasional cold morning, as I also wear mesh riding pants, I just put my rain gear on. So far a mesh jacket & my rain gear has allowed me to ride in some pretty cold weather in comfort. If going to a place that can stay cold for a few days but still be in the 80's-90's at times I also carry my heated vest.

I recommend Cycleport Air Mesh Kevlar.

Interesting jacket, is it stiff? Mesh Kevlar has an appeal, one reason I dont use regular mesh jackets is they cant take much damage

I was looking at the BWM Air Mesh at the dealers yesterday. I figure if I was going to spend the money I would look around and see whats out there. The Air Mesh is on the short list for sure.

This is pretty much what I do right now as well, I layer! It works and I even have some great combo's like cold gear full sleeve, plus a windproof layer. I am thinking I want to experiment a bit though and see if maybe I can find an all weather jacket.

Afternoon Jacob

I know this doesn't directly answer your question but just tossed out as an alternative.

So far I haven't been happy with any of the combination mesh / cool weather lined jackets.

I like my mesh very cool & extremely flow through for hot weather riding. About all I wear all summer is a true mesh.

What I have been doing for years now is wearing a sweater under my mesh on cool mornings then taking the sweater off as it gets hotter. If I need extra protection for real cold like going over a mountain top or occasional cold morning, as I also wear mesh riding pants, I just put my rain gear on. So far a mesh jacket & my rain gear has allowed me to ride in some pretty cold weather in comfort. If going to a place that can stay cold for a few days but still be in the 80's-90's at times I also carry my heated vest.

Why not get another Vansom perf?

something different with all the new technology out there there maybe a cool new thing that really makes a jacket stand out

Interesting jacket, is it stiff? Mesh Kevlar has an appeal, one reason I dont use regular mesh jackets is they cant take much damage

J,

based on?

I ask becasue I've seen dozens of jackets after the crash.

I've seen brand new Aerostitch jackets wear completely thru in the shoulder in a 45 mph lowside and a cheap Joe Rocket wear into the

armor on the shoulder but not completely through.

Seams and armor are important as is fit and armor placement on your body.

Like DR, a combo of silk turtelenck (packs small), liner or fleece, mesh jacket, and rain jacket can cover an extreme range of temps

IMO.

If I knew I was going to always be in extremes, like Chris, I bring Gerbings liner and use as needed.

Good luck.

I recommend Cycleport Air Mesh Kevlar. I have had my suit for 6 years and it is still looking good. I used it last weekend at the RCR. Mornings in the 40's with a Gerbings liner (unplugged) underneath and took the Gerbings off once it got in the 70's. I also do the occasional track day and you can use this suit zipped together in place of leathers. Great protection and great air flow.

+1

I was just fitted @ Motoport (Cycleport) in San Marcos yesterday.

It was stiff when I first got it but after 6 seasons not so much. You could do what I did to my Darien jacket to take the stiffness out, put it in the dryer on air with a couple of pair of sneekers!

It feels stiff until you get on the bike, then it is cool and feels great. A couple if washings makes it softer. You do not remove the armor, nice! Get all the armor.

Motoport Air Mesh Kevlar is my favorite....combined with the above mentioned layers makes an unbeatable combination. I've tried Rukka, Olympia, BMW....use an aerostich when I know the weather will suck, but for tours or variable conditions....the Motoport with layers is the best IMO.

J,

based on?

I ask becasue I've seen dozens of jackets after the crash.

I've seen brand new Aerostitch jackets wear completely thru in the shoulder in a 45 mph lowside and a cheap Joe Rocket wear into the

armor on the shoulder but not completely through.

Seams and armor are important as is fit and armor placement on your body.

Like DR, a combo of silk turtelenck (packs small), liner or fleece, mesh jacket, and rain jacket can cover an extreme range of temps

IMO.

If I knew I was going to always be in extremes, like Chris, I bring Gerbings liner and use as needed.

Good luck.

Ahh, my son had a get off a few years back, moderate speed (45 maybe less), low side and the mesh jacket was wrecked. The armor fortunately was part of a second liner which kept the armor in place during the crucial moments.

Great report. Thank YOu

My MCN test of the BMW Airshell from August 2010 http://www.mklsportster.com/Articles/mcn-bmwairshell.pdf

So now it's been about 3 years of use. The color is starting to fade in some spots slightly from sun exposure, but it's still holding up VERY well and still feels tight as a drum. I would buy one again, or look at Motoport or Aerostich.

-MKL

• 2 weeks later...

well folks I went with the BMW Airshell and put it to work on a Utah ride with my wife.

I rode in temps between 45 and 105.

The wind and water proof liner was great in cold weather and the airflow work perfectly in heat. I put a cool vest under the jacket and all was well. Great buy.

RockBottom

As I was preparing for what became a badly screwed up three day ride through Virginia and West Virginia this past weekend, I was looking for a mesh jacket that was a little more robust than the Joe Rocket Phoenix I've used the past few years. Since temperatures were expected to be upper 90s and even triple digits, perforated leather was out of the picture.

I decided that I didn't want a multipurpose jacket with a liner. It's easier to just carry a rain suit and a Gatorskin pull over if I need to extend the range. So I was just looking for a hot weather mesh.

I settled on the Rev'it Airwave.

I'm happy with it. It's nicely constructed. The mesh flows well despite being a tight weave (I had a tight weave Scorpion that didn't flow at all). In fact, the flow was comparable to the much larger mesh of the Phoenix. And I like the fact that Rev'it makes it with high viz stripes on the arms so that I can wear it on military bases without a vest.

The neck strap got a slight bit annoying after 6 or 8 hours in blazing heat, but not so much that I couldn't stand it.

The only things that bothered me were that I'd read that Rev'its are European cut and that I should order a size larger (which turned out to not be true but I needed the jacket for the trip so decided to keep it anyway) and the fact that you have to order an additional back pad to get any protection (although I just cut down the one out of my Joe Rocket to fit).

So I'd give the Airwave a 4 out of 5.

I'm a little surprised that Rev'it isn't a bit more popular with the sport touring crowd. They did have a reputation for a slimmer "European" fit, but have started making their jackets in a roomier, more "American" fit. So maybe that will help them in the US.

I have been wearing Olympia jackets and pants, but when I went looking for a new mesh jacket, I didn't find what I wanted. So I gave Rev'it a look, and liked their mesh jackets better. They use slightly more durable cordura, and the fit and finish seems just as good. Now if they would only put the zipper on the correct way, and provide a reasonable back pad, they would be great!

RockBottom
Now if they would only put the zipper on the correct way

I have a Wested leather jacket and a Barbour waxed cotton one, so I'm used to the zipper being on the wrong side of the road.

MotorcycleWriter

Just got a Rev'It Tornado in silver. I posted a blurb about it but looks like it got pulled down. Anyway, I love it.

RockBottom
Just got a Rev'It Tornado in silver. I posted a blurb about it but looks like it got pulled down. Anyway, I love it.

Apparently there's a "product review" subfolder and your review and my comment were moved there.

MotorcycleWriter

Apparently there's a "product review" subfolder and your review and my comment were moved there.

Uh... were is it?

RockBottom

Uh... were is it?

I see the comments you and I made at the top of this page but don't know where the product review subforum itself is.

Michaelr11
I see the comments you and I made at the top of this page but don't know where the product review subforum itself is.

It should appear at the very top of the "Bike Related Things" forum.

Archived