IGNORED

Battery removal 2003 RT1150

spiker

I don't see anything in my user's manual describing how to remove the battery for the winter. I see it under the gas tank so I assume that I must remove the fairings and tank. Is this correct or does anyone have any advice? Thank you.

Tank removal is not necessary. I'll tell you the way that I do it. Remove the left side fairing. Remove the air intake tube. Slide the battery out the left side.

Other people have said to raise the tank. Since that would involve removing both sides of the fairing I prefer to do it the way I have stated above. My way is a lot less removal of parts.

I like the idea of a battery tender but how would I hook it up because wouldn't I need access to the battery terminals? Does the "cigarette lighter-like" connection on the side of bike serve a purpose in this connection? I wish I were not so ignorant about this so please excuse me. Thank you.

Spiker, I'm fairly new to beemers too and had some reservations about pulling the fairing off. Just start from the seat work down and around, leave a couple of screws at the top to help support it and be sure to remove the bottom piece. It's a piece of cake, just takes a little time but it's not hard. thumbsup.gif

Archived